Who is ambidextrous? Why? How?

Are you ambidextrous?

• Yes

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • No

Votes: 26 68.4%

• Total voters
I'm right for just about everything... Even in my thinking. :cool::cool::cool:

Studied classical guitar for five years. Developed fine motor skills in both hands. Typing and mousing with both hands was very helpful too.

I'm not ambidextrous but I am abieyed, meaning I can shoot and take photographs with either eye.

Mostly right handed, can wrench with either. Shoot left handed, because my right eye is a "lazy" eye.

Not truly ambidextrous, but can use my left hand to enhance my results in sports.
I am right handed but all of my 3 siblings are left handed.

If you have a dominant left eye and are right handed there would be issues doing certain things, right?

I see that some were forced to be ambidextrous. I am right handed but due to injuries and such, I was forced to develop many usages for left hand. I am not sure playing some sports with different hand makes one ambidextrous. IMO, if one can do most things equally well with either hand, that makes one truly ambidextrous. I've got some ways to go.
I am not sure it is quite that simple. Some people have these abilities but they still must be developed. For most it would not be possible to throw similarly well with either hand. But for those for whom it is possible, the rod bility must still be developed through practice.

ha ha ha ha [emoji23]

When I type I'm ambidextrous ;)

I use both hands for various distinct things, so not truly ambidextrous as it's awkward to switch to the other hand for the same task.

I have noticed especially for eating some people only use 1 hand, so they:
put knife in right hand.
cut food.
put fork in right hand and eat.
Then repeat.

It's so much easier to keep the knife in 1 hand and the fork in the other and eat.

When it comes to cutting and eating food, I suspect what you are describing in most cases is etiquette, not a different ability.

Until I was about 6 yrs old, I wrote and colored with my left hand until the middle of the paper and then switched pencil/ crayon to the right hand. I still use either hand to “ cut I “ while painting walls....
I still write on poster paper/ white boards with either hand

Not ambidextrous in general but in my younger days i was able to play table tennis equally well right or left handed. I would usually always win wagering on a game. If playing a stranger it was easy to offer up another wager playing lefthanded to give them the edge, but I would usually win again. I was nearly as good alternating between left and right hand on each volley. Sure wish I would have been so skilled in a sport that really mattered, but no such luck.

If you have a dominant left eye and are right handed there would be issues doing certain things, right?

There is when it comes to shooting sports. I'm strongly left eyed and strongly right handed. I close my right eye when shooting hand guns and close my left eye when shooting rifles or shotguns. Not ideal, but it gets the job done.

Although I feel like I am strongly right handed, I do some things with the left. I wear my watch on my right wrist (can't seem to buckle it with my right hand to put it on the left), I tape targets left handed, and I deal cards left handed. No idea why.

When it comes to cutting and eating food, I suspect what you are describing in most cases is etiquette, not a different ability.

At a dinner party perhaps, but not at the local diner.

Regarding eating, actually I've asked people and they report it is ability, not etiquette that determines which hand holds the fork and knife.

They literally cannot for example hold the fork in their left hand and put the food in the mouth, so they switch the fork to the dominant right hand and get a bite, then switch hands again to put the knife in the dominant hand and cut the food.

Back
Top Bottom