Why am I still working?

I'm still working only because:
1) I'm fortunate enough to be in great health so life expectancy is high
2) I don't love every day on the job but it's OK for now
3) I need just a little more to reasonably ensure the lifestyle I want
1. I would not bet on that.
2. Not good enough reason.
3. Okay - but watch out for never ending OMY syndrome.

I was dealing with the reverse situation for the past few years. I was really mentally ready to retire. I had run several different calculators, including FIRECALC, and felt that we already were FI. But my DH is uber-conservative and was still not convinced.

Our compromise is that I worked one more year and just left Megacorp recently to handle our relocation to a lower COLA state which is also near my relatives that I am helping out, while DH keeps working. This way we will maintain his health insurance and COBRA to get him closer to Medicare age. I will still need health insurance for a few years since I am younger. He will work for a 1-2 more years and I will do my best to make him jealous--maybe I can get him to leave earlier!!! :LOL:

My opinion is you need to do whatever you are comfortable with. If FIRECALC says you can do it financially, are you ready for the social and emotional changes that come with retirement?

Wife is very open to me continuing to work, or to make the jump. She wants and needs to keep working for healthcare
coverage, but she loves her job and has no idea if or when she'll retire anyway. But she's supportive of me either way.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I just pulled the plug - needed a lay off to push me out the door. I am nervous about the change but have spent 40 years building the funds for the next 30+ yrs so I feel as confident as I am going to. As one other poster stated you can RE now then, someday, find something that you love and work again. But your in control!!!

1. I would not bet on that.
2. Not good enough reason.
3. Okay - but watch out for never ending OMY syndrome.

Good points...

1) I should have said "possible" long life expectancy so I at least need to plan for it. If I'm wrong DW will have a great time with the pool boy.

2) Maybe not, but it relates back to #1.

3) I hear you. I keep saying that Jan 2016 is it. I guess we'll see if I can pull it off. :)

ER ain't just about the $$$. To be happy, most need something to retire TO.
One of my happily ER'ed relatives suggests approaching this decision as if looking at a new career. After those 1st few weeks/months of relief from commuting & office politics, what would your new life REALLY be like? Will it interest you or bore you? Some are very happy with ER, while others seem to miss their old careers (warts and all). In the end it is a very personal decision.

For most, I think the legendary mutual fund manager Peter Lynch said it very well in the preface of the book he wrote after retiring in his mid 40's-
No one looks up from their death bed and says "I really should have spent more time at the office" ;)

I hate my job. DW loves hers and will not retire until AT LEAST 62, but maybe later.

If you can remove DW's income from your plan and still pass FireCalc, I'd say retire! But I wouldn't retire if you require DW's income. Once you're home full time for a while, DW's feelings about working and her job may change.

Back
Top Bottom