Wildlife in the suburbs

I'm in NE Ohio. A few years ago there was a young black bear seen in neighborhoods and was up in a tree at one point. He got down on his own and was spotted traveling south to more rural areas. Someone made a twitter account for him and posted his activities and sightings. The news said he was just doing what young bears do, looking for a mate and food.

Neighborhoods closer to the river have frequent deer visits. We are farther from the river but we see Grey Herons occasionally. There is a Great Blue Heron rookery near the river. So many people would stop to see them that the park district created a lane to pull over with informational placards.

What, no bobcats, armadillos, or skunks? In my immediate area we have all of the above, but no deer or eagles. I miss living in the hills of Connecticut where the deer visited our backyard daily. Also lots of pheasants and wild turkeys.

The others were part of the "etc". I was born and raised in Connecticut and still have family there. I'm from Southbury and had a colonial on 3+ acres when we left, deer and all!

The others were part of the "etc". I was born and raised in Connecticut and still have family there. I'm from Southbury and had a colonial on 3+ acres when we left, deer and all!

It is a beautiful state and I miss it. We lived in Ridgefield and Monroe. However, I don't envy their state income tax.

It is a beautiful state and I miss it. We lived in Ridgefield and Monroe. However, I don't envy their state income tax.

Yes, we moved away just before the state tax was implemented. Texas suits us fine now, and we have been gone so long now, it would be hard to move back.

My once a year trip back to visit my only living sister and her family is enough for me. All my friends from back there are gone or moved away, mostly to Florida.

A neighbor posted this on Nextdoor last week.

Attachments

• 243B53E5-8E70-4520-A85C-F1F12EAC713D.jpeg
    243B53E5-8E70-4520-A85C-F1F12EAC713D.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 31
The SF Bay Area is being overrun by wild turkeys, a non-native bird that was introduced for hunting purposes. But you can’t hunt them in your front yard. Also there are many reports of mountain lions there.

We have deer, rabbits, chipmunks, squirrels, hawks, owls, vultures, a few eagles, peregrin falcons downtown, coyotes, red foxes, herons and egrets, several duck species, geese, and an occasional black bear.

One year a pair of mallards tried to start a family in our yard, thinking our pool was their own private pond. Frequent chasing them away ended that. We did not know they started a nest under a thick bush next to the garage.

We are in a Suburb near a lake/river/and woods.
I have seen eagles, osprey, deer, coyotes along with the usual raccoons, possum, skunk, ducks, geese etc.in our neighborhood.
There have been rare reports and sightings of a cougar. I am sure some bears may be around with them somewhere.
Bound to happen as our housing encroaches further in to their living space.

I'm on the other side of Minneapolis from OP, but there was a black bear a few houses down from us last weekend, unbeknownst to me as I walked our dogs.

Our 95lb Great Pyrenees was extremely vocal and keyed-up out of the blue, (as was our lab mix...but the Great Pyrenees was super upset) but with great effort I kept us moving. At the next house the neighbor came out & asked if we had seen it...that his wife had taken photos.

The dogs knew, even though it wasn't visible they could smell it & they were NOT having it! Guess I'll be protected when start RV-ing full time in about 2 years.

I'm on the other side of Minneapolis from OP, but there was a black bear a few houses down from us last weekend, unbeknownst to me as I walked our dogs.

Our 95lb Great Pyrenees was extremely vocal and keyed-up out of the blue, (as was our lab mix...but the Great Pyrenees was super upset) but with great effort I kept us moving. At the next house the neighbor came out & asked if we had seen it...that his wife had taken photos.

The dogs knew, even though it wasn't visible they could smell it & they were NOT having it! Guess I'll be protected when start RV-ing full time in about 2 years.

Can you get a concealed (or open) handgun permit in Minn? In Texas where we are, just about everyone carries, even a few widows nearby that live alone.

Today I was bringing my 91 year old father back home after visiting mom and me for a week. We left 95 year old mom in the car while I carried dads stuff inside. We came back out and were standing in the driveway saying goodbye.

I looked up and it took me a few seconds to realize that there was a bear staring at me from across the road, maybe 30 feet away. It looked like she had red ears. Maybe tagged?

Chaos ensued with much loud talking and dad shuffling to try to get into the car from the wrong side with the walker in the seat.

The bear eventually decided to turn and walk another 20 feet into the woods. Shortly after that there was rustling in the brush and it seems two or three cubs came along following her.

Maybe she was passing through and heard us and felt the need to assess whether we were a danger to the cubs, or perhaps was coming to check out the trash bin buffet.

Quite the exciting 3pm afternoon.

Bears are common sightings at our mountain cabin. Water hoses, air horns, etc. keep them safely away. Usually not a problem since they're just hungry and curious. But as with any other creature the danger is from a mom with cubs.

Can you get a concealed (or open) handgun permit in Minn? In Texas where we are, just about everyone carries, even a few widows nearby that live alone.

I appreciate the suggestion, but in that specific situation I am sure I would have been unable to manage both a gun and the combined 150 lbs of upset dogs. DH & I are still in discussion about how to approach self defense when we go full time RVing, as we currently own a rifle & shotgun but no handgun.

I looked up and it took me a few seconds to realize that there was a bear staring at me from across the road, maybe 30 feet away.
Quite the exciting 3pm afternoon.

Oh my gosh! Based on our neighbor's description, the bear in our neighborhood was much further away than that. I know black bears aren't usually aggressive, but I still would NOT want to be 30 ft from one. Glad everything worked out OK.

weasel, fisher cat, bear, moose, elk, coyote, fox, eagle, hawk, turkey, pheasant, grouse, loon, possum, raccoon ... NH is like living in the zoo. I recall the tracker in LA for a mountain lion that called downtown home. Coyote in Manhattan.

Back
Top Bottom