Will it hurt me later to take lowlevel j*b while completing degree?

PBAT

Recycles dryer sheets
I would appreciate your opinions on this:
My employer of 12 years was recently bought out, and my dept (accounting) will be eliminated this year. After a couple months of job hunting, I realize I am unlikely to get my current salary without a degree. In fact, I am unlikely to get my current 30 hour salary for a 40 hour j*b.

I have been working on my accounting degree sporadically over the last several years, and started taking classes again this past fall. With DH's strong support, I will likely finish my degree before going back to FT w*rk. We feel this is in our long term interests, even though DH is currently on unpaid medical leave and may be for several more months. (luckily we've been building our emergency fund for a while due to layoff rumors)

Unless I can find PT w*rk w/benefits at my current hourly rate, the two main options we are considering are:

I attend school FT, pay for part-time daycare and health insurance (probably COBRA) from savings, no retirement contributions, and complete degree in 12 months.
- OR -
I can w*rk half time in a much lower level position w/benefits, income will only cover Roth contributions, PT daycare and health insurance (group plan), and complete degree in 18-24 months.

Do you think future employers will frown on either scenario? Is one better/worse than the other in terms of my future employment prospects?

I am leaning towards option 2 because I want to avoid COBRA, but I don't want it to come back and bite me in the a$$ when I am j*b hunting two years from now.

Thanks for any advice/opinions!!

I don't think either option would be a negative as far as how a future employer would view it. Both options show that you were willing to do what it took to get your degree and either way you go should be viewed as a positive.

I don't think it would make much difference. After all, you will be an experienced employee with newly minted degree. It will not be a big surprise that you would want to be considered for a higher position with your new degree and you would suddenly be qualified for something better. I would guess that you might have to change employers to get the step up once you have the degree, but that's probably no big deal.

Sorry to hear about the layoff, but finally getting the degree would be really goood. I hear you loud and clear on the pain of working, going to school and trying to keep up with a spouse and kids. Owing to the difficulties such a schedule imposes, I would be tempted to bang out the degree in 12 months and get it over, but I think either choice would be fine.

I don't see it as a negative. I would think most potential employers would look favorably at someone who had the ability and determination to multitask like that, and be successful in both.

Option number 2 looks fine to me. I think it would show an employer great initiative on your part. Good luck. :)

"Will it hurt me later to take lowlevel j*b while completing degree?"

I don't really think so. In my younger days, i was the only full time electrical engineer working at Kmart as a cashier after hours and weekend. My collegues and boss all thought i was nuts but later admitting that was kind of cool... you see, i didn;t tell them that i a member of this forum... ;-)

enuff

Back
Top Bottom