1/5 fire...

Surewhitey

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DW dropped a bomb on me today and I had to hold my excitement back a little. She's going to a 4 day w*rk week! I know, no biggie around here, but it's a huge step for her. She's finally dipping her toe in & getting an additional 52 days off on top of her 5 weeks + sick time.

I dropped my stuff 5 years ago for a self employed gig and I like to think it & the pretty awesome 5 years, financially speaking, helped her scale back.

Congrats to you man. That is a big deal. Can't wait for you guys to go have 3-day weekends every weekend and report back on fun!

We're doing just that Friday. Heading to Sarasota for 4 days then she has a biz meeting afterwards. She's still trying to maximize her planned time in Europe in May thinking about working half days occasionally. She's gotta figure out how to live with a couple of months off.

Good for you guys. We are in transition also. I pulled the full time plug 54 weeks ago. DW is/was planning on 22 more months working 9 days every 2 weeks. After seeing her with our 13 week old DGD I don't know if she'll make it 22 more months. I'm quickly developing plans B, C and D. One easy adjustment is our recent trip to Aruba. Airbnb would have been 1/3 the cost of the nice hotel we stayed in.

Good for you guys. We are in transition also. I pulled the full time plug 54 weeks ago. DW is/was planning on 22 more months working 9 days every 2 weeks. After seeing her with our 13 week old DGD I don't know if she'll make it 22 more months. I'm quickly developing plans B, C and D. One easy adjustment is our recent trip to Aruba. Airbnb would have been 1/3 the cost of the nice hotel we stayed in.

Agreed on the DGK's. Ours are 2&7 & seems like the 7 year old was just born. She is mainly talking about time with them, but it also takes a little pressure off of me (self imposed). Gives us more reason to tie onto the occasional biz trip too.

DW dropped a bomb on me today and I had to hold my excitement back a little. She's going to a 4 day w*rk week! I know, no biggie around here, but it's a huge step for her. She's finally dipping her toe in & getting an additional 52 days off on top of her 5 weeks + sick time.

Mine said she's scaling back to part time next year which I've encouraged her to do for years. Baby steps.....

Mine said she's scaling back to part time next year which I've encouraged her to do for years. Baby steps.....

DW has talked about this too. Not sure if the government will go along with this plan. As a contractor I switched to a 4-day, 32 hour/wk schedule my last year and a half. Loved it. I think scaling down near the end is a good transition into retirement.

Last edited:

I've been working on her for a while now so she finally gets it. I didn't pressure her, just made her realize that we didn't need her income. She's probably still unsure of the benefits need, but, like you said, baby steps.

DW has talked about this too. Not sure if the government will go along with this plan. As a contractor I switched to a 4-day, 32 hour/wk schedule my last year and a half. Loved it. I think scaling down near the end is a good transition into retirement.

I'm guessing she'll see the transition gradually as she will likely enjoy the less pressure on the extra 52 days. It's definitely a win for us. After her pay increase, we'll barely notice it there too. By her going to 4-8hrs, from 5-7.5 hrs, that's only ~15% pay/bonus reduction...

Surewhitey - that is actually wonderful news! She will probably grow to love that extra time, and what to expand it bit by bit. (By savor every additional day off along the way!)

Congratulations!I cut back to 4 days/week for my final 2 years before Fire. I couldn’t believe the difference one day made in my stress level and ability to enjoy my time. It was so much easier to find balance in life. Due to the progressive income tax (and self-employment tax) I didn’t lose as much money as I thought I would. Enjoy!

Surewhitey - that is actually wonderful news! She will probably grow to love that extra time, and what to expand it bit by bit. (By savor every additional day off along the way!)

This is what I expect after the first year. I'm gonna have to up the travel budget I suspect.

Congratulations!I cut back to 4 days/week for my final 2 years before Fire. I couldn’t believe the difference one day made in my stress level and ability to enjoy my time. It was so much easier to find balance in life. Due to the progressive income tax (and self-employment tax) I didn’t lose as much money as I thought I would. Enjoy!

I know I'm less stressed and now she's got one toe in to check the water. Her j*by does check a lot of boxes for short travel to nicer destinations and nice restaurants, so I get it. It definitely will upgrade her happy-life experience

My DW has been 3 days a week now for 1.5 years or so, she pulling the plug this May, and looking forward to having her summer off! Its all on me now....lol

Back
Top Bottom