2 Years till retirement

spinmaster100

Confused about dryer sheets
I am a 57 year old living in New Jersey and working in the NYC Criminal Court system.
My plan is to retire from this job in 2017. I figured that in order to maintain a comfortable life, I needed to control expenses in my later years.
In 2011, I started searching affordable areas to live. My wife and I agreed on the Naples, Florida area and bought a home.
I have rented the home since purchasing it(1/2012). I also have worked 2 other jobs, 7 days a week in an effort to pay off the mortgage on that home. I am on pace to have the mortgage paid off :cool:in late 2016. Less than 5 years from purchase.
I currently have no other debt, except for the mortgage on our home in New Jersey.
The state job will give me a small pension(Divorce!(don't ask!!), and cover our medical premiums(huge).We(2nd wife)also have over 1.5 million in 401K, plus equity in the Jersey home that we will use to buy some rental properties.
Once in Florida, I plan on working as a personal trainer/fitness instructor and my wife to run the rental properties.
If I can work 4 hours a day, it will be perfect!! Less stress than the Courthouse and the 14 hour days!!!
I have enjoyed reading through many of all your posts.

Larry

Welcome spinmaster! Sounds like you have a plan - how excellent to pay off the mortgage on your retirement house before you take the plunge.

If you haven't seen them yet, there are two excellent resources here that might help you with more detailed planning:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f47/some-important-questions-to-answer-before-asking-can-i-retire-69999.html

and

Early Retirement FAQs - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

We'll do our best to answer your questions also - lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks hang out here!

Welcome, I look forward to hearing more from you as you progress to your goals.

Back
Top Bottom