Join Early Retirement Today

2008 Feb Issue of Money Magazine
Old 01-09-2008, 09:05 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

2008 Feb Issue of Money Magazine

Hi: My name is Bob and this is my first entry. I am a 64 year old married male who is still working full time. I teach a retirement seminar at my current employer focused on covering the critical issues that people need to consider before they retire. I have broken my program into five sessions titled; Are You Ready, Social Security, Medicare, Finances and Leaving a Legacy. If you are interested, let me know and I will be happy to send you my powerpoint presentation. I am not selling anything nor do I recommend any specific company, product, person, etc.

I do have a personal question. In the 2008 Feb issue of Money magazine, they named 27 Vanguard mutual funds as part of Money's list of the best mutual funds you can buy. I have my money invested at Vanguard in a variety of their index funds, but was interested in anyone's opinion about why one might allocate their bond investments in Vanguard's Short-Term Bond Index Fund versus their Total Bond Market Index Fund.

Thanks, Bob.
rhschulz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2008, 09:08 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhschulz2000 View Post
Hi: My name is Bob and this is my first entry. I am a 64 year old married male who is still working full time. I teach a retirement seminar at my current employer focused on covering the critical issues that people need to consider before they retire.
Welcome to the forum Bob.

I hope you have a very good sense of humor because on an early retirement forum, your statement above may lead to some comments relating to "If you can't do it, teach it..."
Old 01-10-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Short-term bonds in general have a lot lower volatility and slightly lower return than long-term bonds. Assuming you have them in your portfolio to dampen volatility, short-term bonds make more sense.

"I've traded love for pennies, sold my soul for less" -Jim Croce, Age
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhschulz2000 View Post
I have broken my program into five sessions titled; Are You Ready ...
If you are interested, let me know and I will be happy to send you my powerpoint presentation.
I am not selling anything nor do I recommend any specific company, product, person, etc.
I'm guessing your answer to your first session is "No"?

Welcome to the board, Bob, but while you may have a lot of cojones for posting this on a forum named "Early Retirement", you lack a certain cachet of credibility.

At least Bud Hebeler is retired. Otherwise you have to figure out why you're different/better than Scott Burns.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Bob, welcome.

I think comparing Vgd short term to Vgd total bond is apples and oranges. The total bond market fund acts mostly like an intermediate index fund. For my money I like the intermediate bond index fun over the total fund, but both do what they're supposed to. I use short term bonds almost like near-cash.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome Bob
Are you in HR in your current employer? or did they pick you to do the seminar for another reason...i.e., you are already close to retirement, you volunteered, etc. Would be interested to know.

I teach a course at a university as a volunteer, not related to FIRE, but someday, after I'm FIREd myself, I would like to do something similar on retirement planning, only on a volunteer basis. I still have a while to go yet, but when I do it, I would probably would want to do it as an adult education seminar or course at the local JC. Those of us who take the time to educate ourselves, then actually do something about it will likely be OK in FIRE, but there are so many people out there who don't even think about it and don't have a clue...If I could just share some of the knowlege I have and help even just a few people, I think it would be stimulating and rewarding.
Thanks
R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote