Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW told me last night that while she believes this Mayan thing is total bunk, she is worried about the possible actions of the less stable members of society. I told her that since 12/21 is near the holidays I will be sure to take the day off and not go anywhere near downtown.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

If the prediction proves to be correct...it is a cruel "joke" on the ER class of 2013!
Old 04-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude

I'll be there in mid August with the family. I will report back with any strange warning signs I come across, and report on here.........
Great! That way we'll be prepared. Scope out a good cave for us, will ya?
RitaR551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Whee!

Newly discovered Mayan calendar goes way past 2012

Good thing we did save for retirement!
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...she is worried about the possible actions of the less stable members of society.
I welcome them. Tell them to give their money to me. I will burn it and make the proper offerings. [] My faith-based investment company (you heard it here first!) has many services. I will also take care of your pets after the rapture. PM me for my Pastafarian price list.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
Whee!

Don't listen to him! Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!
Old 05-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Hmm. Does this mean my withdrawal rate isn't as safe as I planned?

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

There seem to be a growing number of Americans that are claiming to be unprepared for retirement because they feel the world is going to end (citing 2012 Maya, or some other apocalypse)...

my guess is that this is just a convenient cover for their real situation (be it unemployment, poor planning, massive debt)... but I'm started to get concerned that a number of them really are dropping all safety nets for the future because they truly believe they'll never be alive to see 60...

those people are sure in for a rude awakening... and very depressing 'retirement.' Sadly, many of us will pay the price for it on some level (through more taxes)
EvrClrx311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvrClrx311 View Post
There seem to be a growing number of Americans that are claiming to be unprepared for retirement because they feel the world is going to end (citing 2012 Maya, or some other apocalypse)...

my guess is that this is just a convenient cover for their real situation (be it unemployment, poor planning, massive debt)... but I'm started to get concerned that a number of them really are dropping all safety nets for the future because they truly believe they'll never be alive to see 60...

those people are sure in for a rude awakening... and very depressing 'retirement.' Sadly, many of us will pay the price for it on some level (through more taxes)
I think some people had the same response due to wild rumors about the end of the world when the millenium ended.

I remember the morning of 1/1/2000. I awakened at about 6 AM, went outside and was glad to see the world as I know it, and went for a drive. Even though I had been bravely saying on the internet that nothing bad was going to happen, still I took some money out of an ATM that morning just to make sure it would work.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #30

Oh no, not again!

Would someone please start a recipe thread to help me use up all those survival rations in the basement?

Last time we went through this, I got really tired of it before I used up my stash of Y2K supplies.

There are only so many ways to prepare Biscuit, Survival, Dehydrated, Long Shelf Life.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Whee!

So when is the end of the world based on the newly discovered Mayan calendar? I didn't see an date in the article and I want to know so I can adjust withdrawals to die broke that day...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #32

You mean I have to pay those pesky CC debts.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Oh no, not again!

Would someone please start a recipe thread to help me use up all those survival rations in the basement?

Last time we went through this, I got really tired of it before I used up my stash of Y2K supplies.

There are only so many ways to prepare Biscuit, Survival, Dehydrated, Long Shelf Life.

You need a recipe for beer? Of all people...

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I just hope I'm one of the 144,000 headed for the rapture.
Can I have your car when you go?
Old 05-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #35
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
So when is the end of the world based on the newly discovered Mayan calendar? I didn't see an date in the article and I want to know so I can adjust withdrawals to die broke that day...
People have been harping on this for at least 30 years. Its not newly discovered. Heck the Mayans were so scared of it that they ended their part of civilation more than 1000 years ago in anticipation. That would be an.......ti..............ci..........pay...eh..... ..eh.......eh.....shun. Wasn't there a some about this by maybe the Rolling Stones
Old 05-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I think some people had the same response due to wild rumors about the end of the world when the millenium ended.

I remember the morning of 1/1/2000. I awakened at about 6 AM, went outside and was glad to see the world as I know it, and went for a drive. Even though I had been bravely saying on the internet that nothing bad was going to happen, still I took some money out of an ATM that morning just to make sure it would work.
Obviously you weren't working in IT. We all had to be at work all night that night, in case the digital world ended, and were just getting home to go to bed at 6 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #37

Quote:
Whee!

Given how through a job the Spanish and priests did in destroying the mayan and aztec records it is not suprising that when we go into the jungle we find more out. Also the jungle condition of the towns shows that given enough time mother nature can repair any damage we do. Of course it might kill us off but then...
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

I worked that evening, but as I was in the central time zone I was concerned about 6pm (since so much of the computer infrastructure, including the routers on the web runs on GMT (Coordinated Universal Time). (Note that Win 2k and up run internally on GMT also and just translate the time for display purposes) If anything was going to happen it would have been then when the internet would go down. It did not so.So when the fireworks from London showed up on the TV at 6 pm one knew things would be ok.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
I worked that evening, but as I was in the central time zone I was concerned about 6pm (since so much of the computer infrastructure, including the routers on the web runs on GMT (Coordinated Universal Time). (Note that Win 2k and up run internally on GMT also and just translate the time for display purposes) If anything was going to happen it would have been then when the internet would go down. It did not so.So when the fireworks from London showed up on the TV at 6 pm one knew things would be ok.
Well, yeah, that's what I was saying on the internet too....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Well, guess we're safe until 2038 now. That's still within my anticipated/hopeful lifetime. It will be interesting to see how may "end of the world" scenarios pop up between now and then.