Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-10-2021, 10:23 AM   #81
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks for starting this thread. Planning to retire in 2031 @ 59.
Retire_2031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2021, 07:08 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

As an update DH jumped ship and started a new job. New budget. It's an interesting transition to living on what I think would be our FIRE budget. Has it worked? Yes. But I think if we weren't saving for "retirement" it would be really comfortable. We have enough to fire now if we lived on this budget I believe.
livingalmostlarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:45 AM   #83

I want to jump on this bandwagon. My original plan was to FIRE at 55 yo, but I may have to move that up. I will subscribe to 2030. Currently have $2.4 in ivestable assets. Want to get to $5mil to feel comfortable.
Kragness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:40 PM   #84
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would like to join as well. Tax advantaged accounts (including 529 and HSA) is around 390k. The rest is about 455k. My goal is to have 4MM by the end of 2030. I am optimistic and single.
teetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:16 PM   #85
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'll join the fun

July 2029 is the plan for me @60
steiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:35 PM   #86
Dryer sheet aficionado

Definitely on board with this one! Ideally even earlier.. Sitting with ~$900k investments and hopefully able to bring that to about $2.5 - $2.75MM. Awesome to see yearly dollar growth at this stage.. only gets better!
CabinLifeAt50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:58 PM   #87

Exciting thread.. -
May 2029 is my date @60.. may push to May 2030 (drop dead date) for DW who is 2.6 years younger.
Currently, 1.5MM in tax deferred. 170K mortgage remaining on 600k house. Emergency funds - 2yrs. DW will have pension (need to make decision on lumpsum or annuity in 2027). Older child finishing her Bachelor's degree this year and has job offers.. younger one junior in high school.
Goal - Appr 2.8MM by 2029/30.
goitsme48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:35 AM   #88
Dryer sheet aficionado

Just joined to post in this thread. Recent life events and the pandemic have made me realize I'd FIRE today if I could. I hope to FIRE by 2030 at 41 with $5m. Currently have ~1.4m investable assets with plan to invest $70k/year. I plan to cash flow college costs for the 1 and 2 year old if their brokerage accounts don't cover costs. Just put an offer in on 1st rental property hoping to diversify and create an additional stream of income beyond DW and my salaries.

I'm excited to take this journey with everyone!
Life_by_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:02 AM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey Everyone. Hope you are doing well. This market is screaming and has been fun to watch. Like everyone cautiously optimistic but for now enjoying the ride. Thought I would give an update on my end.

I did purchase a rental property a year ago and of course my 10k renovations ended up being 45k. I was able to write half of those off. The monthly rental income is good but learned a few valuable lessons along the way. Good thing is the value of the property went up significantly. My plan is to buy 3 or 4 properties to offset some of my income in the future.

The market has pushed my assets just above the 2 Million mark not including paid off primary & rental. Work stress is enormous and still trying to find a balance. I am 46 with a 20 month old. I figure i will need to get to 4 Million to hang it up. After 3mill I will need to really take a look at if the stress is really worth the extra comfort. Until then, grinding away, focusing on the positives and the things i can control. Please continue to post. Love to hear everyone's progress and share the journey! Have a great week!
hilltide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:09 AM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life_by_Fire View Post
Just joined to post in this thread. Recent life events and the pandemic have made me realize I'd FIRE today if I could. I hope to FIRE by 2030 at 41 with $5m. Currently have ~1.4m investable assets with plan to invest $70k/year. I plan to cash flow college costs for the 1 and 2 year old if their brokerage accounts don't cover costs. Just put an offer in on 1st rental property hoping to diversify and create an additional stream of income beyond DW and my salaries.

I'm excited to take this journey with everyone!
Welcome Life by Fire. You are killing it! Hope the rental project is going well.
hilltide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:04 AM   #91
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for the update hilltide. The markets (financial and housing) have been good of late for sure. My first post on this thread back in 2018 we were sitting at ~$800K in investments (excl home) and today we are over $1.5MM. Feels like the portfolio is now the work engine vs. our contributions. I do think the goal posts for us are moving out though...was aiming for $2MM, but think $2.5MM to $3MM feels like the "number" now. Thanks to the market returns, getting to our number isn't this faraway goal...it is still a ways down the road, but I can finally see it come into focus now.
Ready2Save is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:48 AM   #92
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Save View Post
Thanks for the update hilltide. The markets (financial and housing) have been good of late for sure. My first post on this thread back in 2018 we were sitting at ~$800K in investments (excl home) and today we are over $1.5MM. Feels like the portfolio is now the work engine vs. our contributions. I do think the goal posts for us are moving out though...was aiming for $2MM, but think $2.5MM to $3MM feels like the "number" now. Thanks to the market returns, getting to our number isn't this faraway goal...it is still a ways down the road, but I can finally see it come into focus now.
Funny you say that...when I was 30 I set a FIRE goal of $1.8M. But then at 40 raised it to $2.1M. Then at 55 came the ACA and the potentially high health insurance premiums we would face...so one year before we were planning to FIRE my DW suggested we hold off and save another $100k to pay for the high premiums. Then we talked about moving to a state with higher housing costs...so we decided to save another $200k LOL.

We made it, so it all worked out...but funny how the goal posts do move.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:38 PM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm hoping to move the goal posts closer if DH makes the startup work. I've been pondering as we just suck up the market.
Old 05-21-2021, 04:33 AM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

On track so far, although a few house renovations have put us behind our savings goal for CY21. (Given the rising cost of raw materials, we picked the wrong time to reno!)

Recently I've been wrestling with this concept of Save What You Need and Not a Penny More, something explored really well in “Die with Zero” by Bill Perkins. It led us to re-evaluate the balance between maximizing savings now and enjoying life now (versus delaying bucket-list things to maximize savings). I know it’s a tricky balance and it’s impossible to predict exactly what we’ll need throughout our long retirement, BUT I think it’s healthy to understand Enough looks like. I know there’s another thread here that talks about this at length. I enjoyed that one immensely.

DW is on track for O-6 retirement and I will retire as an O-5. Our COLA’d pensions will cover living expenses; our other accounts are QoL funds (and helping the kiddos). Our question remains, how much do we really need to save beyond what we already have? We’re starting to open our minds to loosening the purse strings gradually but significantly as we get closer to 2028/2030. While it would take a catastrophic medical incident to derail us from earning our pensions it’s still not a guarantee until we have that paperwork in hand. Do we save as much as we can because nothing is guaranteed or do we accept the very low risk, pull back on savings, live it up now while the kids are young, and find ourselves likely overfunded? Working on striking that balance.

Thanks for letting me wax philosophical a bit. Happy to be a part of this crew!
Old 06-07-2021, 05:09 PM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

I think we hit our number but DH isn't ready to bite the dust.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:06 PM   #96
Dryer sheet wannabe

Count me in!

We will both be 45 in 2030. Our daughter will be 9 (born this April).

We are currently at:

Investable Assets (non tax advantaged/tax advantaged/HSA/cash/etc):

Rental Property Equity:
243k (market value minus loan balances)

Primary Property Equity:
142k (market value minus loan balance)

Net Worth (excluding Primary)

Net Worth (including Primary)

Other than our properties, no debts of any kind. I am not sure on a 529 plan due to the strings attached as opposed to funding our retirements first then merely foot the bill with any extra in our funds. Thoughts?

A cool observation is we have already hit coast fire (FIRE # of 2.5mill) so that is a liberating feeling
dukebound85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 09:43 PM   #97
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not me. I retired 21 years ago at age 54.
Old 06-17-2021, 03:50 PM   #98
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just a quick update:
My invested assets are at $1.2M right now. I plan to semi-FIRE with $1.5M and fully FIRE at $1.8M. DW is working FT in a small reality business, so we are proper DINKs again. She mostly likes it. I've encouraged her to get her brokerage license to potentially make a bit more money, but she's pretty ho-hum about that.

I bought a couple inflatable kayaks and took them camping in Idaho earlier this month. I used to plan on taking big, open-water kayaking excursions like I did once in Alaska, but I'm not sure if I'll ever have the energy for that sort of thing again.

I had a pretty big health scare this winter and that renewed my desire to semi-FIRE ASAP. Paradoxically, I'm much more concerned now about not having great medical coverage after leaving mega-Corps. So that'll be something I will plan out extensively before pulling the trigger and switching to PT work.
Old 06-19-2021, 06:41 PM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

While I threw my name in the hat for the Class of 2027 things happen and I could see situations where my retirement would be delayed and I’d end up joining all of you in 2030. I will turn 56 in 2030 so it would still be an early retirement in my opinion.

Good luck to all of you! I will be following along to see your progress. Who knows- there’s a chance that I’ll join you!
RxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:17 PM   #100
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

2030 sounds about right for me... It should be about then I'll be retiring for good (aka eternity), if my luck holds out!