24 yr old vet student in loads of debt!

Cjdavi

Confused about dryer sheets
I'm a 24 year old vet student with $56,000 in student loans. I'm in the middle of my second year and will graduate in 2015. I have no income; I live strictly on student loans and only have time to work during the summer. My estimated debt upon graduation will be $128,000.

Aside from vet school, I'm a figure athlete and fitness enthusiast. Most of all, I'm excited to interact with people who know more about money than I!

Oh crap. Youre living on part of your student loans? :facepalm:

Thats not a good strategy. In fact, Im 100% certain that you can graduate with significantly less than 128K in debt. Do some soul-searching. You have got to think of some ways to cut costs or raise income. :confused:

Hi cjdavi. What school are you enrolled in? Isn't there any possibility for financial assistance from them?

I'm a 24 year old vet student with $56,000 in student loans. I'm in the middle of my second year and will graduate in 2015. I have no income; I live strictly on student loans and only have time to work during the summer. My estimated debt upon graduation will be $128,000....

I wouldn't be surprised if this is not very typical of vet and med school students. You should have no trouble paying it back once you start practicing.

Hello Cjdavi,

I think that is a great field to be in. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics there are about 2500 graduates each year compared to roughly 2200 new jobs each year. The amount of student debt you will have accumulated is right up there with most grad students. Are you specializing in anything that will give you an edge over the other grads for a job? Or are you starting your own practice?

Last edited:
Sounds a bit like my nephew.... but he is planning to work on people instead of animals....

Good luck in your future...

Good luck and congrats--it is super hard to get in to vet school, that's for sure.
Our much-loved own vets seem so much happier (yes, even with the debt load) than their "people doc" counterparts. Just keep the lifestyle in check once you get out and try to get the debt done as quickly as possible when you get out.
Working emergency or specialty medicine (and working the odd shifts) will go a long way to getting you where you want to be. And then you can look at buying or starting a practice of your own. That is when your lifestyle sacrifices will be worthwhile.

My own vets just started their own practice this past year, after working about 8 years for another general practice vet. They seem so much happier and in control of their schedule now.

Welcome!

How many people have got 2 to 3 years into a degree program and not finished it? Or something else happens that prevents them from getting the high paying job.

Better minimize what you borrow as much as you can. Don't count on future earnings too much. They are not a sure thing.

Back
Top Bottom