Join Early Retirement Today

25 in Chicago suburbs taking first steps
Old 04-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

25 in Chicago suburbs taking first steps

My fiance (getting married next june) and I turned 25 early this year and have been doing some planning for our futures. Our current plan is to try and retire at some point between the ages of 35 and 40. Currently we are finishing paying off our student loans so we can focus more on retirement savings and possibly a down payment on a house.

current retirement savings ~70k (almost all in stocks atm)
income 115k pre tax
expenses ~33k/year
Debt ~18k student loans and ~17k car loans
smurphy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphy1 View Post
My fiance (getting married next june) and I turned 25 early this year and have been doing some planning for our futures. Our current plan is to try and retire at some point between the ages of 35 and 40. Currently we are finishing paying off our student loans so we can focus more on retirement savings and possibly a down payment on a house.

current retirement savings ~70k (almost all in stocks atm)
income 115k pre tax
expenses ~33k/year
Debt ~18k student loans and ~17k car loans
Based on the info provided I would say the chances of both of you never working again by age 40 is very small. You could maybe quit your fulltime jobs and do occasional work but I would call that semi-retired not retired. Good luck though.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum!

The best thing is that you're thinking about retirement. Many people don't until much later, sometimes too late. That said, I believe that unless you're willing to permanently adopt a very lean lifestyle I think you'll find targeting retirement at 35 or 40 a bit optimistic unless you expect dramatic increases in income later on.

There's a link to FIRECalc at the bottom of the page and that will give you a place to start.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:55 PM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Welcome to the forum!

The best thing is that you're thinking about retirement. Many people don't until much later, sometimes too late. That said, I believe that unless you're willing to permanently adopt a very lean lifestyle I think you'll find targeting retirement at 35 or 40 a bit optimistic unless you expect dramatic increases in income later on.

There's a link to FIRECalc at the bottom of the page and that will give you a place to start.
Thanks. I am expecting a significant increase in my salary over the next several years but as you say it might not be enough. At this point we don't really know what lifestyle we will want but we are happy with the lean one we live now. Saving a lot now gives us the freedom to choose later.
smurphy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

If you go ERE you might be able to make it but the suburbs of Chicago are expensive! Still, if you can figure it all out let us know as I would love to achieve your goals myself
Greencheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:15 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphy1 View Post
Thanks. I am expecting a significant increase in my salary over the next several years but as you say it might not be enough. At this point we don't really know what lifestyle we will want but we are happy with the lean one we live now. Saving a lot now gives us the freedom to choose later.
I was thinking that you will likely see a few raises in the next 15 years, considering you and your fiance are just 25 and assuming you are in positions that have some kind of career paths (and the boomers are going to have to leave the work force sooner or later, which has been predicted to make employment prospects for your age group very interesting). Some people try to live on one spouse's salary and to not spend those raises when they happen, which could have a sweet impact on your nest egg; a few good years in the markets will also likely happen. Keep doing what you've been doing in terms of finances and you should be just fine imho.

And remember to enjoy the journey.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:31 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Let's say your $70k savings doubles to $140k in 10 years, when you are 35. In fact, let's say it goes to $200k with additional contributions, etc. Since you'd be living off your nest egg for so long (50 years, if not more), assume you'd use a 2 percent nest egg withdrawal rate instead of the more conventional 4 percent. That would give you only $4,000 a year to live off of. But since math is not my strong point, agree with others that you should toy with FIREcalc and other planning tools. But don't despair. Just the fact that you are thinking about finances at your age puts you ahead of the game- and most of the people in the country. A pat on the back is on order!
Sanbenito1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:15 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanbenito1 View Post
Let's say your $70k savings doubles to $140k in 10 years, when you are 35. In fact, let's say it goes to $200k with additional contributions, etc. Since you'd be living off your nest egg for so long (50 years, if not more), assume you'd use a 2 percent nest egg withdrawal rate instead of the more conventional 4 percent. That would give you only $4,000 a year to live off of. But since math is not my strong point, agree with others that you should toy with FIREcalc and other planning tools. But don't despair. Just the fact that you are thinking about finances at your age puts you ahead of the game- and most of the people in the country. A pat on the back is on order!
These numbers are WAY off.

Looks to me like you are in line to save $30k+ per year right now and could certainly increase that over time if your income increases faster than expenses. 10 years + investment increases which should be a minimum of $400k + extra savings + what you have now.

Personally I'd plan on a closer to 3-4% WR but you can see what Firecalc comes up with there. Based on $33k in expenses that means getting to around $1M in savings so while 10 years might be tough I could certainly see it happening by age 40.

Sounds to me like you're on a good track.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote