Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

28 year old new investor!
Old 01-16-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

28 year old new investor!

Hello! I'm nerdlet - a 28 year old that is relatively new to investing. I'm still trying to figure out how things work and appreciate any advice anyone has for people who are new to the game. I'm currently trying to figure out what to do with my Roth IRA. I also have a small brokerage account that I just use for trading a few stocks. My investing strategy is somewhat like set it and forget it - I tend to invest my whole yearly contribution into one ETF and leave it. That caused a lot of grief with the 2008 meltdown, but things are slowly back on the up and up. I currently have my holdings with Vanguard, but I'm considering moving to a different brokerage due to the annual brokerage fees.
nerdlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome nerdlet! There is a lot of wisdom on this board and I am always learning from these folks even at age 52. I like set it and forget it myself. I like Vanguard mutual funds with their low costs. I don't trade ETFs at this time. You'll get some good input from the experienced investors here on strategies for keeping costs down.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Roth IRA is good, you could put REITs in it, bonds, dividend paying stocks or some say the highest growing equities, all good. ETFs are a good idea but pay attention to fees within them as well. In a taxable account you will be able to tax loss harvest.
Set & forget can work but you need a good balanced fund or target retirement fund for that.
IMHO the way things 'work' is to keep some attention on all things financial. I shocked the personnel office when I was hired in 1973 when I asked them to explain the retirement plan and calculated out the day I could retire. Just being aware helps with retirement saving, investments, real estate and most of all--controlling expenses. Things will change over time: tax rates, investment opportunities, job opportunities, marriage, family and more. Just stay a bit conscious, too many people have no idea about the cost of things like their credit cards.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Vanguard is second to none for their index funds. Their brokerage is a whole different story however. If you only have enough funds for a single fund, stick with a target date fund that matches the balance you want (I did not like how Vanguard fundamentally shifted their stock/bond balance in their target funds however, I had thought they would not do that, and it was really poor timing). I really like Vanguard for their index funds.
plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdlet View Post
... relatively new to investing. I'm still trying to figure out how things work and appreciate any advice anyone has for people who are new to the game.....
You will be better served over at the bogleheads board. They are more focused on investment. Here, the focus is more on early retirement.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:52 PM   #6

Thanks for the tips. I'm still a bit new to this. I didn't even think about retirement until I read Suze Orman's "Women and Money" book. For what it's worth, it really got me thinking about my future. I still feel that her book seems to oversimplify things and so here I am, ready to roll up my sleeves and try to figure out as much as I can.

It seems that most of the people here are suggesting funds over ETFs - is this because they're easier to maintain? Suze Orman seemed to recommend ETFs for people like me who dump their entire contribution into one fund at one time. You lose the ability to do dollar-cost averaging, but the larger contribution allows you to contribute to ETFs with higher minimum investments - which means lower fees over the life of the investment (as compared to the comparable mutual funds).

Because of that, my portfolio consists of VTI and VXF (my 2007 & 2008 contributions). I took a beating in 2008 when the market declined but now I'm almost back to where I started. Would a mutual fund have prevented that?

Walkinwood, thanks for the tip. I'll also check out that board as well!
nerdlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:47 PM   #7

Hi Nerdlet,

I just want to say "good on you" for starting your savings early!
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:29 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdlet View Post
Because of that, my portfolio consists of VTI and VXF (my 2007 & 2008 contributions). I took a beating in 2008 when the market declined but now I'm almost back to where I started. Would a mutual fund have prevented that?
Welcome nerdlet. To answer your question, mutual funds would not have prevented it. ETFs are very similar to comparable mutual funds. I prefer ETFs due to their lower fees myself, especially when you do rare set-it-and-forget-it kind of transactions. Given the fee difference, I don't actually know why people choose passive (i.e. non-actively managed) mutual funds over corresponding ETFs... well I guess one example could be that 401(k) plan only allows certain mutual funds but not ETFs.
smjsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:31 PM   #9

As a new investor I'm still trying to figure out how things work and appreciate any advice anyone has for people who are new to the game.
mandywilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:05 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandywilliams View Post
As a new investor I'm still trying to figure out how things work and appreciate any advice anyone has for people who are new to the game.
Welcome Mandy. Generally it is best to start a new post, introduce yourself and tell a few specifics about your situation so that people can give you better advice.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote