Join Early Retirement Today

30 and too cheap for dryer sheets
Old 01-26-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

30 and too cheap for dryer sheets

Yes, that's right. I've found that I can get by with adding 1/4 cup of distilled white vinegar (had cheap anywhere) in the laundry softener spot on my washing machine (cuts down on the soap residue, leaves clothes softer) and a wad of aluminum foil in the dryer (seems to pick up the static electricity).

Anyway, I'm 30; wife is 29. We're trying to figure out if we're on track to semi-retire when I'm 40. The RE worksheet from the early retirement homepage seems to indicate that we're on track... guess time will tell ;-)
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2008, 09:09 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
You have the right attitude.

Personally, I've never owned a dryer or used fabric softener.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:31 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've never used fabric softener or dryer sheets but I do have a dryer. Around here when you hang clothes outside they just freeze solid and take forever to sublime dry. My house is too small to hang them inside.
I'm too new to welcome you to the board, but I will say I'll bet you'll learn a lot here. I have.
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:56 AM   #4

1/4 cup of distilled white vinegar? My, you're a spendthrift, I've been getting by on two tablespoons here

Welcome to the board!
Old 01-27-2008, 03:47 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Some peo[le call me Maurice

Did you pick your name because you're a Steve Miller fan? Just curious.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:54 AM   #6

Medit8 - No, but you're the second person to guess that. Actually I play classical piano as a hobby and was obsessing on one of Maurice Ravel's works at the time I joined this board.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:59 AM   #7

I should add though that some people DO call me the space cowboy, and I aspire to be known as the gangster of love...
Old 01-27-2008, 05:26 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

...cause you speak of the pompitous of love...

Peace.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Yes, that's right. I've found that I can get by with adding 1/4 cup of distilled white vinegar (had cheap anywhere) in the laundry softener spot on my washing machine (cuts down on the soap residue, leaves clothes softer) and a wad of aluminum foil in the dryer (seems to pick up the static electricity).
Oh great, just what we need here.....another cheapskate! LOL

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:28 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

Baking soda in the wash tends to do the trick, too. I've never heard of using foil! Have to try it.
MillionaireMommyNextDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillionaireMommyNextDoor View Post
Baking soda in the wash tends to do the trick, too. I've never heard of using foil! Have to try it.
But do you need rubber-handled tongs to retrieve the ball of foil to avoid one hell of an electric shock?
Old 01-27-2008, 04:34 PM   #12

Well, I'm now going to have to run some controlled tests to see how low I can get my vinegar usage.

To be honest, I'm not sure if the foil is effective or just a wonderful placebo. It seems to work. I do have a stainless steel interior on my dryer, so it could be discharging from the foil to the frame to the ground.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote