31 y/o From Spokane,WA

Watchingpaintdry4money

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi everyone,

I found this site a few months ago and finally joined today. Been lurking around daily since the first time visiting this site. To a person new to the ER world, this site is like crack. Very addicting... Cant get enough. Anyway..

My wife and I (not technically married but in our eyes we are) are new to the ER world. Her 27 y/o environmental tech, me 31 y/o automotive painter. No kids and no desire to have any. Unless you count the wonderful shar pei-boxer mix Roxie. We started saving in April and here are some of our finances:

Income combined $70k roughly

$5500 Fidelity Roth 401k

$8000 Roth IRA

$12k savings

$6300 Debt left on my Pickup

$90k left on mortgage

We have been trying to find a balance between saving into 401k and ira vs. paying off the debt. The 6k on the pickup should be come in 2-3 months but the savings will take a hit. Should have the house paid in 68 months (ballpark). We each put 20% into roth retirement accounts and then pay off debt with whatever is left. I have found this lifestyle to be fairly easy but she has struggled a little bit. She is doing wonderful but feels like its a competition and she's losing. It's not a competition to me, I'm just trying to make it there as quick as possible. We are just working out the kinks of a new system.

One thing we have noticed since changing our lifestyle is friends with similar lifestyles are very hard to find. I still have a beer now and again with spender friends but we don't hang out that much. Which led to us trying to find some new friends that don't cost us as much. We are struggling in that department, everyone spends every cent they earn that we have found. Have others also had this problem? All her friends are having babies and spending tons on big trips if they haven't had a kid yet. So she is feeling a little left out. She realizes that saving will pay off huge in the end. We hope to FIRE in 15 to 20 years, depending on market conditions.

That's a little bit of our story. Thanks for reading and allowing me to have a place to talk about it.

Watchpaintdry4money

Gah, lost my reply to site timeout. Let me type up a rough mix of what I had written...

Welcome!

Sounds like you're off to a good start.

Your significant other seems mostly on board, but the key there is communication. Listen to her concerns and try to help. Small gifts and surprises may make her feel bettered times.

You will see who your real friends are. Transition slowly from what you used to do with them that cost lots of money (going to bars, for example) to fun, cheap activities that you will enjoy. BBQ at the park, or a weekly poker or other board game night, for example. Explain to your friends how you'd trying to spend less, rather than just declining their invitations. The latter way will likely lead to the friendship fading, the former may allow them to realize and be supportive.

Above all, realize that you're only young once, and enjoy this time. You have a quite a few years left until retirement, so enjoy them!

Hang out with retirees.

Unsolicited advice: marriage has financial advantages such as Social Security benefits (way down the road...maybe) and inheritance. Ask Stieg Larsson's surviving SO.

IMHO, if you are not going to get hitched, do not include your SO in any financial plans relating to your future. If you are serious, get hitched. If you do not, IMHO you are stupid. Sh*t or get off the pot.

Back
Top Bottom