Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-26-2017, 07:47 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Get out of the grind as soon as you can. Continue to be a good, charitable person as it sounds like you are. Be humble and appreciative. Your dad left you with the money because you are those things.

I am following in my dads footsteps of being a workaholic. He worked his entire life. Finally made enough, more than enough by the time he was 75. His wife got dementia and he is a full time caretaker now. He told me don't follow down my path. Get out when you can. I told him, don't worry, I will. Good luck to you!!
hilltide is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2017, 04:56 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Well this is a excellent example for all the ER forum folks who are scrimping and saving so they can leave their kids a big inheritance, it can easily not be a family legacy, but a an opportunity to slack off.
I am absolutely certain that if I had received a big inheritance, I would have found a way to leave the rat race and slack off as soon as possible. Likewise, if Universal Basic Income had become a thing during my working years, I would have found a way to live on that income and immediately retired. Had I done so before I knew enough about personal finance, I would have been a real mess. Instead, I have kept working long enough to generate my own safety net, and my own understanding of how to FIRE and slack off without risk of running out of funds. I won't feel bad about leaving a family legacy that lets my kids slack off at young (ER) ages, if they have at least lived long enough in the working world to understand what they are giving up and how to manage a windfall well enough to get what they want out of it.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:44 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

My opinion. Do the following.

For the short term. Retire. Sleep in till 10 for a while. You won't miss the traffic or the people trying to get to work in a hurry.
Get up real early and show up at your favorite coffee shop (I'm sure there are some real good ones in Europe). Kick back and watch the sun come up in the quiet city. I use to do that sometimes when I live in NYC. Peace in the middle of chaos.
Just take some time to be and contemplate things. REALLY find what you like and want to do and go do it.
For the long term;
You will get bored at some point and want to do something. Find that something and do it because you love it.
You will have challenges. Challenges like most of your friends will be working all day while you are doing other things. It will be hard to relate to them and them to you. Some of the friends you find will also be wealthy but not necessarily as frugal as you sound you like you are or your father was.
I try to stay away from telling people what I would do If I had 8 figures because although I have some idea, I know things change.
If you stay static the rest of your life you will not be happy. You will have to figure out how to avoid that. You have the ability now to make non-financial mistakes and try things that you may not have been able to do if you had to put in 50hrs a week at work.
When you are old, you will look back at what you did in life. You don't have to save the world but you will want to say it had some meaning.
Best of luck. Enjoy.
slv1 is offline   Reply With Quote