34 Year Old With Inheritance Trying to Figure Things Out

I empathize... but I am afraid I don't have an answer.

I have always enjoyed "learning and building stuff" at work, so much that leaving for vacations was a bit of a trial. However, I think being FI and having more choice (to work or not to work) actually raised my bar for job satisfaction. All jobs have dull and less satisfying moments, but instead of just putting my nose down and working through those bits until I was back in "the flow", now I tend to think "Why am I here, when I don't need to work", "I don't care about Company X high level objectives of selling more boxes, shouldn't I be making the world a better place?". Luckily, for me those periods of time are quite a small percentage of work hours and I very much enjoy the learning and creating stuff... although like you, I am still looking for an exit into something "better" (when I work out what that is).

I was solo consulting from home for a few years, family was good and I was building stuff and earning $$, but because I am not great at setting my own goals and deadlines... I found that I missed the structure and teamwork that a workplace provides and am now more satisfied (although it is not perfect - first world problem! ).

An earlier poster suggested moving to part-time... I think if you can find such a position... it should leave you time to find activities you do enjoy and find satisfying. From my own experience, even though I am strongly an introvert, I think my next non-job needs to include learning and building stuff I care about with a team... if it pays $ then all the better!

Hey I just realized, if I was 34 with no wife and kids, and had $64000 coming in, I would be seriously out there seeing the world. I mean, what a perfect time to do this, right?

Cycle around Europe? Buy a boat and sail the Bahamas, Caribbean and go through the Panama Canal. Etc, etc.

You might even meet the perfect girl in your travels. The girls in Costa Rica are very pretty!

Be brave, go forth and conquer young man!!

Walk up to 1060 w. Addison in Chicago, knock on the door, ask for Theo and offer your services for a trial period for free.

I worked there many years ago in the food service business; can't say I made a lot of money doing it, but I was able to gain a glimpse of heaven every home game.

Cubs in 2016.

If your inheritance is tied up in real estate doesn't that take up some of your time and energy? Do you want to grow that business or are you leaving it in someone else's hands.
(someone already beat me to my buy a boat/horse/airplane advice)

Yes - what about acquiring a few more properties and running that business? $2 million is not as much as you think!

Really though I travelled Europe during my late 30s (while keeping the j*b) and it literally opened a new world for me. I never felt more alive as I was on those trips and it gave me points of reference to discuss and enrich my live at home.

I took Spanish classes in Sitges on the coast south of Barcelona on one trip. I also made a few friends that I go back and see every 2-3 years.

Now I'm 55 and wanting to do that all over again, without time restrictions.

$2M in investment real estate on the west coast doesn't buy you much. Evidently OP's holdings have a nice return so the asset value must be well depreciated.

I agree that s/he should look for an accounting position at a not for profit that will provide health insurance. Find an organization with a mission that interests you. Keep in mind that this is not a life-long commitment. If it turns out not to be what you expected find another.

My suspicion is that you are doing 'technical' tasks that have little in the way of client contact. That can drive anyone nuts. You need a position with more socialization which is why a not for profit may be a better fit.

You do need a break but I don't think you should take off without a re-entry plan.

How do you like being a landlord? I was pretty much my entire life, but now that I'm older, I don't have the stomach for it any more. Since you are all ready in the property business, would you consider working for a property management company, then learning the trade and trades people they use, and eventually go on your own. You could keep it small scale if you wanted, then get involved in sales, and pick up the bargains when you can and grow your empire. Think what you could accomplish in 25-30 years. I think Tenn. is a pretty stable market (compared to the rest of the country) Doesn't sound like your too handy though. That always is a big benefit.
But, of course you could learn.

There are so many things you could do and still produce income, so as not to deplete your inheritance. With 2 mil, all you need to do is hang in there another 15 yrs., and then you are really pretty much free.

I received an inheritance when I turned 18 and then again at 25. I went to a semester of college then took off to see the world. I have never really worked so can't really advise you on that. And I can't really advise you on whether you have enough to live on. Some people would love to have 64K a year and some would say it was not enough to keep them properly clothed. So, that 64 dollar question can only be answered by you!

As for me, I could live perfectly fine with that amount and I have never been bored. I admit that I sometimes find myself in a jam or two... but they are almost always of my own making of course!

I would say that perhaps occupying your mind with learning a new language while traveling would be a good thing to consider? Lots of immersion schools in countries all over the world and you can even live with a local family which will really will integrate you with the locals and can be lots of fun. But stay away from the Costa Rican gals/guys, they are lots of trouble!

oh, hell, who am I kidding ?
go ahead, enjoy the pretty Ticas or handsome Ticos

life is too short not to have some fun
:D

Are you an introvert or extrovert? Maybe you should get a handle on that and then look for careers that align with your personality type and aptitude. Lots of options out there, but may be you need to try a more analytical approach to finding some good fitting possibilities. Someone mentioned What Color is Your Parachute, so maybe start with that and a Meyers Briggs assessment or go see a career counselor.

Back
Top Bottom