Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

35, male, just getting started in Southern Europe
Old 05-22-2018, 11:50 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

35, male, just getting started in Southern Europe

Hello to all,

I'm drowning in money problems at the moment but I'm working hard to solve everything and get my life in order.

I could be depressed about my life situation at the moment, and I have been like that for the longest time, however I'm turning everything into a positive and taking inspiration from all the inputs in my life.

That includes the FIRE movement and this forum as well.

I hope I can participate in the near future in a more meaningful way -- especially sharing my progress!

Cheers to all,
Diogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2018, 01:32 PM   #2

Welcome, Diogo! Recognizing you have a problem is the first step in solving it, and it's very positive that you have decided to be positive about moving forward. The best general advice I have is to focus your energy on one or two areas rather than trying to "fix" everything at one time. You'll have a much better chance of success and in this area, success is likely to lead to more success.

If you have specific questions, ask away - there are lots of knowledgeable and experienced folks who hang out here!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:28 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo View Post
Hello to all,

I'm drowning in money problems at the moment but I'm working hard to solve everything and get my life in order.

I could be depressed about my life situation at the moment, and I have been like that for the longest time, however I'm turning everything into a positive and taking inspiration from all the inputs in my life.

That includes the FIRE movement and this forum as well.

I hope I can participate in the near future in a more meaningful way -- especially sharing my progress!

Cheers to all,

Trust me, A lot of us have been there before. I know I have. Chop down one tree at a time. Pay one bill off at a time. Keep on chopping wood. Next thing you know you are debt free and able to start saving. Still plenty of time. Stay focused. Any questions, let us know!
hilltide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:05 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltide View Post
Trust me, A lot of us have been there before. I know I have. Chop down one tree at a time. Pay one bill off at a time. Keep on chopping wood. Next thing you know you are debt free and able to start saving. Still plenty of time. Stay focused. Any questions, let us know!
+1.

Didn't get my sh*t together until my 40's. Even then, a work in process.

Managed to retire at 60. Happy with that, but probably could have shaved years off of that.

You've identified the problem, now go fix it (look in the mirror).

Also, sharpen the axe, don't swing harder.

Best wishes!
Old 05-31-2018, 08:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
You've identified the problem, now go fix it (look in the mirror).
This is a great one. I also loved the tree and axe analogies.

Thanks all!
Old 06-05-2018, 01:25 PM   #6

Waking up at 35 gives you time to recover! Good luck! As you work on paying down debt and solving your problems, don't forget to live a little along the way...you never know how long you have (doesn't have to be expensive, just quality of life...for me, swimming, walks, and local shore scuba diving, and a bit of drone flying and some movies and lots of time with the love of my life!).
HI Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
Waking up at 35 gives you time to recover! Good luck! As you work on paying down debt and solving your problems, don't forget to live a little along the way...you never know how long you have (doesn't have to be expensive, just quality of life...for me, swimming, walks, and local shore scuba diving, and a bit of drone flying and some movies and lots of time with the love of my life!).
Hi Bill, thank you for your perspective.

I spent 7 of the past 8 years suffering from what you pointed out here. Life is happening right now, but I didn't have that exactly clear. I actually developed some sort of hand eczema/dermatitis that just won't go away. It started back in 2013, but you know, no money, no doctors, no medicine, no nothing. I have tried several lotions, but the main issue has always returned.

Only recently I realized it was all due to my deep feeling of being tied down to so many money-related problems. My hands started to heal. They're still far from being normal, but they are much better. I still get stressed due to one thing or another, and now I know my palms act up on me when I'm not acknowledging a feeling. And then I ask myself what it is, and it goes back to normal.

And this is tightly connected to what brought me to this community. In a way, I now know I can handle all the problems I have created for myself, plus all of those life has thrown at me. Just a few months back, around Christmas time, I still didn't believe I was capable of doing that. (I joined the forums around that time.)

Summer has arrived in my parts and maybe, just maybe, the sea is getting warmer. I'm not a swimmer by any means by I do love me some beach time early in the morning, getting some sun, breathing that salty air.

I also love cycling. Not professionally, just going around town, getting the groceries, feeling the wind on my face, that sort of thing.

Thanks once again Bill, Red Badger, hilltide, and Austin for all you have brought me so far. This is an amazing community.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:31 AM   #8

There is no life rule that says you have to be in a certain place in life at a certain age. Life will still be going on whenever you arrive at a certain place in life whatever your age and the quality of whatever you experience will still be the same. My life hasn't turned out anywhere near how I planned it. But once you can find a direction and it's the right one , progress can be made fast.

When I was 35 my financial situation wasn't anywhere near how good it is for me now. I am 48 now. Can 13 years make a big difference? Yes, absolutely! Just keep going in the right direction and you will be surprised what you can achieve.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:57 PM   #9

Quote:
I actually developed some sort of hand eczema/dermatitis that just won't go away. It started back in 2013, but you know, no money, no doctors, no medicine, no nothing. I have tried several lotions, but the main issue has always returned.
I can feel a little bit of your pain. Two years ago, I picked up a really bad strain of athlete's foot in Japan, and despite multiple trips to the dermatologist, hundreds of dollars spent on various antifungal cremes, and even oral antifungal pills, the whole thing kept going and going. It transferred twice to my private parts (jock itch), and one time to my anus (never felt so itchy anywhere, LOL). Also got excema on my lower legs at the same time. Filing feet, skin lotions, antifungal cremes, powdering shoes and socks...we were washing the sheets every day with a steam cleaning machine, and before that, had been boiling water to disinfect the sheets. Changing bath towels after every bath, and disinfecting the bathtub every day. I even resorted to buying a steam washing machine. After it went away the second time, I threw away three pair of shoes, and it hasn't come back. It definitely got a lot crazy. The total cost was a couple thousand $, and lots of time, and too much stress on my wife. You can overcome!
HI Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:22 AM   #10

Quote:

I could be depressed about my life situation at the moment, and I have been like that for the longest time, however I'm turning everything into a positive and taking inspiration from all the inputs,
Everyone needs somebody. Mental health is serious and as a nurse, if you need help, please message me.

Money problems or personal relationship problems or any life problems - the key, take it one day at a time. You don’t have to have more, you can be happy with less. It’s just a little more Work. And you’re young, you have many years to figure this out. Don’t try to solve everything now.
RN_Keto_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:18 AM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

Welcome.
I am new to posting here and more of a lurker than a poster, but the thing that drew me to post on here and not other forums is that I feel it is a very positive and varied place.
Hopefully you will find the same.
Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
There is no life rule that says you have to be in a certain place in life at a certain age. Life will still be going on whenever you arrive at a certain place in life whatever your age and the quality of whatever you experience will still be the same. My life hasn't turned out anywhere near how I planned it. But once you can find a direction and it's the right one , progress can be made fast.
+1

Consider Ray Kroc, the guy who built out McDonalds. Didn't even get started until he was 52 years old. Ended up with $600 million by the time he passed away.

Similar story with Colonel Sanders, the founder of KFC.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote