35 yr old wake up call

Agree on all accounts. My original post was from 6 mo ago. Lots of changes in habits since then.

My Roth still bugs me, I thought at the time that emerging markets and REITs were depressed, so I started there, they're barely above what I bought them for 6 years ago. Can't decide to switch them out for something else or just keep them. I'm not buying anymore REITs or emerging though.

Do you have an investment policy statement or target asset allocation? If not this is all just shots in teh dark.

Good for you Bert Cooper. We never had luxury cars but our next car with be a $10K cheaper, slightly used, better mileage sedan than the last car we bought for ourselves. We just never looked at the car cost in terms of a trade off with ER before, and now we would rather have the ER.

We are also right behind you on moving to a condo or townhouse half the price of where we live now, once the kids are out on their own, if not before.

Last edited:
Do you have an investment policy statement or target asset allocation? If not this is all just shots in teh dark.

Not yet, still getting my investment bearings. I have a rough idea of what I need to have, but the picture isn't totally clear yet, still lots of learning ahead. Reading the Bogleheads book now. I'm holding the REIT and EM for now for diversification, even though they've been no good for me. I haven't sold anything yet. I was way too heavy into them before. Working on fixing my AA through future investments, with the majority going to Total Stock Market in my taxable, and the Ssg S&P index in my 401k. Adding some good bond indexes in there, too.

Back
Top Bottom