36 in Sacramento, Dreaming of Retirement at 50

jackl

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi guys!

My name is - as my username might suggest, Jack. I live in Sacramento, CA at the moment but it's a goal to move back home to Oregon next year.

I'm an insurance agent. I work a 9-to-5 and also work my own book of business. The 9-to-5 pays the bills, and I'm looking at generating roughly $2,500/mo in revenue from my book of business by this time next year, assuming my estimations are correct.

Past that, it's my goal to "fire the boss" as it were and go into business for myself. I want to grow the business quickly so that I have enough assets and residuals to retire comfortably at age 50 - somewhere near 2032 or abouts. It's not a iron-solid goal, just my general target zone.

I'll be posting around here and there. Mostly I'm just here to lurk around and absorb as much knowledge as possible from all of you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! Good to have a goal, and great that it's not far away!

Welcome to our wonderful site. Lots of smart people on this site to give you advice when you need it.
Don't be shy!!!

Hello fellow Nor-Cal member.

I’ve been a lurking member of a while and both my wife and I recently (June 2018) retired in NorCal at age 54.

Like you, I learned and continue to absorb good advice and ideas from this forum that helped me along the way.

Make and work a financial plan, be ready and willing to adjust the plan as needed, and early retirement will become a reality.

Like many here ... we are living the dream!

Cheers.

Do you have to have face to face contact with your clients? If not, you could move to a lower cost of living area and retire on $2500/mo. A little more would be nice but not necessary.

I don't have a lot of face-to-face. Since I primarily work from home, meetings are usually done over the phone, but I sometimes will meet with prospects at a "neutral" location. So proximity is important sometimes.

That is one of the motivations for moving back home to Oregon, actually. In light of current events in my life, it'll likely be two years down the road rather than 1, now.

Back
Top Bottom