Join Early Retirement Today

38, Recently Divorced, Planning for myself now
Old 11-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

38, Recently Divorced, Planning for myself now

Been here before, but my situation has changed dramatically in the past year. Divorced in June of this year, and planning my early retirement for one now.

Currently here is my situation, let me know what you think:

Roughly 700k in taxable investments
Around 400k in IRA/Roth/401k
Have some phantom options from the startup i work for, but not really counting on that at all.

Contribute about 5k a month to taxable account, all in vanguard index funds.
Contribute max to 401k, no match.

Currently I am saving about 50% of my pre-tax income, but some of the balance is from inheritance from my mom who passed away this year.

Looking to FIRE in about 5 years if possible. Pie in the sky is to retire abroad, Spain is where I have my sights set.

Am I crazy to think that I can do it by 44?
feelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I haven't been divorced, but I have a brother who has been -- thrice -- so I know it's painful. I am sorry for what you've been through, but Wow! You have that much left after a divorce, and you are only 38? Way to go! Others should be so lucky.

Many here should be able to give you way better feedback than I can, but I think, hey, you get a do-over. Good luck on the next phase. You're young yet!
Old 11-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am very fortunate in that I and my ex have had pretty well paying jobs for some time and I made sure we saved diligently while we were married, additionally the recent inheritance/insurance I received after my mother passed has helped bump that number up a bit.

Also, i am considering simplifying my asset allocation from a host of index funds right now to possibly 60/40 or 50/50 S&P 500/Total Bond Index. I am willing to accept a bit lower return for less volatility and risk given that I aim to unplug in 5 years or so.
feelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:07 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

What are your monthly expenses now, and what do you expect they will be in retirement? Can't answer any question about whether you can do it or not, or in what timeframe, without knowing those two things.
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:31 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you get married and divorced again, plan on an extra 20 years. Unless the next one is rich.

And sure, the next one will last...

Without expense information, it's hard to say. You need to make sure you have picked the lifestyle you are satisfied with, before you retire, because it will likely be permanent (or less) once you stop working.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelan View Post
Been here before, but my situation has changed dramatically in the past year. Divorced in June of this year, and planning my early retirement for one now.

Currently here is my situation, let me know what you think:

Roughly 700k in taxable investments
Around 400k in IRA/Roth/401k
Have some phantom options from the startup i work for, but not really counting on that at all.

Contribute about 5k a month to taxable account, all in vanguard index funds.
Contribute max to 401k, no match.

Currently I am saving about 50% of my pre-tax income, but some of the balance is from inheritance from my mom who passed away this year.

Looking to FIRE in about 5 years if possible. Pie in the sky is to retire abroad, Spain is where I have my sights set.

Am I crazy to think that I can do it by 44?
If the stock market continues to cooperate you will be in great shape in 5 years.

Definitely get a prenup if you get married again to protect your assets.

Is Spain expensive? It does sound like a cool place to retire.

If you can get your taxable accounts to 1mil and let that 500k(in 5 years) 401k ride to age 591/2 it sounds possible.

If you could wait to age 50 to retire you would be golden and never have to worry. Easy for me to say.
purplesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:43 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
What about contributing to a roth as well (post-tax $), will add to your flexibility later, I don't see it mentioned.

Don't make any sudden big changes, as usually divorce is very emotional and changes a lot of stuff. One person I know said after 5 yrs, it was all getting better.

Why Spain ?
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote