Join Early Retirement Today

403b's
Old 06-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

403b's

Hi there, my name is Suzanne and I am a school teacher. I have some of my retirement money in a 403,b. I plan on retiring when I am 66 which is in 4 years. Can I take this 403b and transfer it to a Roth IRA and pay the taxes this year?

Thanks.
SHSpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Try 403bwise.com for a lot of detailed 403b questions. My wife could not move her 403b straight into a Roth until she retired. She rolled the 403b nto a traditional IRA and we convert a little each year into a Roth. This may be a better approach tax wise as if you are converting a lot of money it may kick your income into a higher tax bracket.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:23 AM   #3
gone traveling

If an annuity, check whether your 403(b) has surrender charges. Who's it with?
westcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:10 AM   #4

A 403b cannot be rolled over to an IRA while you are still employed by the 403b provider.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Alas, 403b's are one of the worst features of being a teacher. Due to school boards being fearful of law suites, we are often stuck with poor choices. In my own case the funds are all loaded, have high yearly fees, and generaly do not perform as well as the index funds (what else is new?)

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #6

It is a tax-sheltered annuity. It is with Western Reserve Life. I have been making contributions since 1996.
Thanks for your reply.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
gone traveling

Western Reserve Life is not listed on 403bCompare, but most annuities have rolling surrender charges. Your contributions from 1996 will most likely not be subject to surrender charges, but your contributions from 2000 on might be. If the surrender charge is low, for early years, that's one thing, but you might not want to lose 7-18% of your recent contributions. What's the guaranteed interest rate?
Old 06-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
A 403b cannot be rolled over to an IRA while you are still employed by the 403b provider.
Depends on the plan. Check with the plan administrator to determine if in-service transfers are allowed. They may or may not be allowed. If in-service transfers are not allowed, you will have to terminate before you can transfer.

Check your contract about surrender charges. Many of them evaporate after seven years, so if in-service transfers are allowed, you can roll the whole annuity into a traditional IRA, then convert, to a Roth, as much as you can without a surrender charge -- likely any contributions made before 2005. Then every year or so, you will be able to transfer another year's worth of contributions without a surrender charge.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Alas, 403b's are one of the worst features of being a teacher. Due to school boards being fearful of law suites, we are often stuck with poor choices. In my own case the funds are all loaded, have high yearly fees, and generaly do not perform as well as the index funds (what else is new?)
This might be over-generalizing. DW works for a school district (admin, not a teacher), and Fidelity was among her 403B choices. There is an annual fee, but something like $24?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #10

Unfortunately, we were never given any options that included wiser choices. All of our options are insurance agents, surely there was and still is money being passed under the table to these people. Many teachers do not understand or know what a 403b is. Thank for the info.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
This might be over-generalizing. DW works for a school district (admin, not a teacher), and Fidelity was among her 403B choices. There is an annual fee, but something like $24?

-ERD50
That is good news for the DW. I am glad to hear not all the districts are afraid to use 403b providers such as Fidelity.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #12
gone traveling

Here's a current story from Kiplinger on this:

Kiplinger.com
Old 06-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That is good news for the DW. I am glad to hear not all the districts are afraid to use 403b providers such as Fidelity.
My wife worked for a college bookstore more than 10 years ago, and even back then their 403b plan was with Vanguard. So yeah, it can happen.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, good news for us. But I have no idea if this is common, or a rare exception. I fear it is rare.

It would be interesting to strike up a conversation with DW's co-workers - I doubt many have any idea, or even contribute. Her boss mentioned he was going to look at new cars since his car payments were coming to a close - DW mentioned something about keeping the car, and putting the payments towards savings, and she got that 'deer in the headlights' look.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Her boss mentioned he was going to look at new cars since his car payments were coming to a close - DW mentioned something about keeping the car, and putting the payments towards savings, and she got that 'deer in the headlights' look.
-ERD50
At the risk of jumping to conclusions, I suspect most education people are liberal arts majors and have little education in business and/or math. And Investing?? Forget it!! I have a business degree which makes me rather unique among my peers in K-12 education.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut

At the risk of jumping to conclusions, I suspect most education people are liberal arts majors and have little education in business and/or math. And Investing?? Forget it!! I have a business degree which makes me rather unique among my peers in K-12 education.
In many states where teachers do not contribute to SS and work a full 30 years, I truly wonder whether a 403 b is of any value at all. As these teachers usually retire into their highest tax bracket they worked in with their pensions. All the money put in while in the younger years and lower tax bracket are delayed and paid at their highest tax bracket. Am I missing something in this situation?
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
In many states where teachers do not contribute to SS and work a full 30 years, I truly wonder whether a 403 b is of any value at all. As these teachers usually retire into their highest tax bracket they worked in with their pensions. All the money put in while in the younger years and lower tax bracket are delayed and paid at their highest tax bracket. Am I missing something in this situation?
It's a disciplined way to save and encourages more saving since accumulation of the account balance is not slowed by taxes through the years. I wouldn't do it before a Roth IRA, though.

The greater problem is high cost annuities and mutual fund platforms, which seriously slow savings accumulation.

Besides, teachers (at least in California) retire on average at about 60% of their salary. If the high salary was $75,000, then the pension would be around $45,000, which isn't a whole lot higher than a starting salary - so there wouldn't be much of a bracket shift.