Join Early Retirement Today

40yo toying with the idea of ER in 10-15 years
Old 12-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

40yo toying with the idea of ER in 10-15 years

Hi all. I've been toying with the idea of semi-retiring in the next 5-10 years, and fully retiring in 10-15 years, depending on how my investments perform. I figured I'd finally join this forum rather than continue to be a lurker. I've played with FIRECalc a few times and liked it. My stats are as follows.

Income: 125k (gross)
Annual expenses: 55k
Children: none
Health: excellent

Assets:
Retirement (401k & ROTH IRA, 95% stocks): 490k
Real estate: ~500k
Personal property (vehicles): 120k

Liabilities:
Mortgage: 216k @ 3.5% 30 year fixed
Auto loans: 60k @ 1.99% 5 year fixed

I've been maxing out my 401k & ROTH IRA contributions since I've been eligible, and will continue to do so until I semi-retire. I plan to downsize for retirement (with respect to the home and cars) if needed to achieve ER by my desired time frame. Looking forward to input and feedback.
azphx1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think you're well on your way! Only question I have is that auto loan. $60K? Really? You must have a very fine set of wheels. If it's not necessary for your work, I'd consider getting rid of that and going for a nice but more affordable car.

Oh, welcome!
Old 12-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you, Purron.

I know my auto loan balance seems excessive. However, cars are my biggest hobby. I own several collector vehicles, and can easily sell them to recoup my cost if needed. I just don't deem it necessary at this point, given that I'm meeting my savings goals.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azphx1972 View Post
Thank you, Purron.

I know my auto loan balance seems excessive. However, cars are my biggest hobby. I own several collector vehicles, and can easily sell them to recoup my cost if needed. I just don't deem it necessary at this point, given that I'm meeting my savings goals.
Understood. My late father in law was a car hobbyist and it brought him much enjoyment so I totally get it. My hobby is helping shelter animals. Like your car hobby, it makes me happy and is not at all a good investment.

Well, on second thought, collector vehicles are probably a better investment than homeless animals. In any case, there is more to life than money after all!

Again, I think you're doing very well. Much better than my husband and I were doing at your age. Well done and I hope to hear more from you.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:14 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the board, azphx1972.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
My hobby is helping shelter animals. Like your car hobby, it makes me happy
That is a very noble hobby and I applaud you for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Welcome to the board, azphx1972.
Thank you obgyn65!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Welcome aboard. As others have already mentioned, you're in very good shape, well ahead of your peers by all indications. You only need time and (continued) discipline. Well done...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome azphx1972!

Looks pretty good to me, and we are of similar age and assets. My only comment would be you need lots more $$ in non-retirement accounts to fund the years before easy access to the retirement accounts. Looks like lots of that could come form downsizing and selling some toys.
As for the car hobby, yeah, I got that too, plus motorcycles. I currently have 4 collectible vehicles in various stages of reconditioning. In retirement, I plan on cutting this down to just one (yeah, right, lol). I won't even mention boats, RVs, motorcycles, etc!
When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Welcome aboard. As others have already mentioned, you're in very good shape, well ahead of your peers by all indications. You only need time and (continued) discipline. Well done...
I agree, at your age I only had a small positive net worth (<100K), but I got serious about retirement and was able to retire in 16 years (5 years ago). Keep up the good work !!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Thanks Midpack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead View Post
My only comment would be you need lots more $$ in non-retirement accounts to fund the years before easy access to the retirement accounts. Looks like lots of that could come form downsizing and selling some toys.
Thanks panhead. I concur with your assessment. I had, at age 27, a paid off house, no debt, but insufficient savings to retire. So I dabbled a bit in stocks, and got burned (I stick to low cost mutual/index funds now). Then I made the decision to increase my invest exposure to real estate (hence my current mortgage), but got bit by the fallout from the housing bubble. Oh well. The silver lining is that my mortgage rate is incredibly low, and my payment is quite manageable at under $1k. Meanwhile, I'm waiting for the market to recover some before I sell and downsize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arky View Post
I agree, at your age I only had a small positive net worth (<100K), but I got serious about retirement and was able to retire in 16 years (5 years ago). Keep up the good work !!
Sounds awesome arky, that is my plan as well.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:04 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

It has also only taken me about 15 years to become FI. I bought smaller rental properties in an up-and-coming neighborhood on short 5 and 7 year notes and maxed out 401K and Roths, going heavy on stocks after the downturn.
WestLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

My retirement savings (401k & ROTH IRA) balance hit 500k for the first time as of EOB yesterday! It's probably short lived as the stock market fluctuates, but I'm just so excited! I probably won't share this news with anyone outside of this forum, since no one else cares lol.