Join Early Retirement Today

43 looking to quit at 49 before retirement
Old 02-04-2015, 09:57 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

43 looking to quit at 49 before retirement

Hello,
I am 43, married to 40 yr old and mother to a 9 year old.
I currently work full time for a bank which offers a pension and 401k.
My husband works full time and he will be able to start his 401k in one month.
My plan is to quit my job with the bank in 6 years. In that time I will have paid off the house and his car and possibly a replacement car for myself.
We would have no debts for the last two years of my bank job.
That income would be about 45k a yr after taxes and 401k and would all go to savings.
My plan is to get a part time job closer to home making about 10k a year which will go to savings. We will live off husbands income. This amount of time is unknown at this point.
Then when I turn 65, he will be 62 we can pull retirement income.
Our cost of living is very low, but we assume it will increase a smidge once our child becomes a teenager and go back down once he leaves the nest.
I am here to learn more about other probabilities that may occur which will hinder our progress toward our goal.
Thanks for reading.
malingels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2015, 10:27 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Run an online retirement calculator to see if you will have enough saved at the time of your proposed retirement.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:34 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome. FireCalc is a good calculator to start with. If you're just getting started, I suggest you read Andrw Hallam's Millionaire Teacher.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:26 PM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

Are you considering costs for your child's college education? College costs are crazy right now. This may delay your goal on when you plan to retire since your child still have 9 more years to go before hitting college age.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:08 PM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets

His college education will be covered by a trust fund set up by his grandparents.
malingels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:27 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum. Sweet deal on the college trusts. I agree with the above to model your pre-retirement saving and spending. Use whatever tool you can: firecalc, fidelity RIP, financial engines, quicken lifetime planner. Ask work a little differently so one might uncover an aspect you hadn't considered another might handle life events differently. The exercise is great for working out the glitches of your plan.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app