Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

43 year old, married w/ teens and can't stop thinking about our next adventure
Old 01-31-2015, 09:52 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

43 year old, married w/ teens and can't stop thinking about our next adventure

Hello from FREEZING cold Massachusetts!!! We are about to get another foot of snow, so it is only normal for me to start thinking about Florida

I am a personal finance teacher, and computer teacher. I talk about saving for retirement with my students daily....and now I am just creating an obsession about my own retirement plan.

I am wondering if any of you have ever been in my shoes:
My husband is so unhappy with his present job. I love teaching, but can teach anywhere. Our ultimate goal is to move to Florida when both of my teens graduate. Does the five years go by fast? Did any of you start a new career, keep expenses low and move to a more affordable state? The problem is, I am unsure if my husband will find the type of employment in Florida--but trust me, all we think about is the beach, fishing and a semi-retirement lifestyle.

My husband and I will probably always work; it's just in our nature. But I am thinking of a lower salary, simpler lifestyle, and low expenses. Just a less stressful job for my husband is like a retirement

I am so sorry for rambling, I just wanted to know if any of you have dealt with this too.
I love this forum, I read your postings often

Sincerely,
Lisa
moneymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2015, 11:18 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

IMHO 5 years will go by fast IF your husband can tolerate his job without damaging his health. Actually 5 years is long enough to justify looking for another position in your current community.

We did what you are planning to do but not really for a lower cost lifestyle. The kids were in college so we were free to move. Fortunately, or unfortunately, our next home was only slightly smaller than our former home. We thought lots of room for the kids to visit, and ultimately grandchildren. In reality their lives were too busy for them to spend significant time with us so we traveled to see them. Just a head's up.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:33 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Be careful of the 'I can teach anywhere' trap. Research job availability. Schools hiring new teachers are often focussing on new graduates, for cost purposes. Non-corp subjects receive a back seat in funding, and core subjects have tons of available and often experienced teachers in line for jobs. Not sure of the specific conditions in Florida, where I suspect the average age of its citizens is higher - education may be lower on people's agendas.

Www.city-data.com is an excellent source when researching cities for relocation.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-31-2015, 01:48 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting post ... I am retired and spending winters in Florida but I am going back home to the Boston area next week to check up on my home there ... It seems pretty sureal that it is so cold back home but today I rode my bicycle in shorts and a t-shirt today... On to your question. In my case I waited.(until I was 56).. I never wanted to live and work up north but I had a great job so I hung in there and saved and saved .. I have been retired now for 2 years and it is fantastic ! It was well worth all the work .. I feel like I am 15 years old again... I swim / bicycle / run / golf / do Tai Chi and more all week long.... When I decided I would retire early time seemed like it would last forever but I set up a spreadsheet and ticked off the days (it was about 5 years for me).. before I knew it I was there ! ... There are no more spreadsheets now just fun! It is worth the wait and it can be done !
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:53 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thank you for the feedback!! We are so excited to start the planning, and save like crazy!!!

Great forum to keep motivated
Old 01-31-2015, 03:03 PM   #6

Welcome moneymama! If you haven't seen them yet, there are two excellent places to start here that might help you make your "list" and check it twice (or three or four times if you are like most of us).

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ire-69999.html

and

Early Retirement FAQs - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

We'll do our best to answer your questions also - lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks hang out here!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
continue working, florida, unhappy job