Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-21-2015, 09:48 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks everyone for such a warm and encouraging welcome. It's great to see savers and LBYM folks, an endangered species in our culture. Even more amazing is that most of you have a plan or at least are seeking a plan to enjoy the fruits of hard w*rk and LBYM. Too many strong savers become ensnared by money hoarding and w*rkaholism. Finding someone who can save for decades then spend some/all of these savings to enjoy life and follow dreams is like finding the proverbial Unicorn.

It's great to hear from all those who retired in their 40's. Within 5 yrs of entering the corporate rat race, I realized I wanted to exist as soon as possible. I enjoyed the work (engineering), but I didn't care for the rest of the mess. Early participation in the company 401K encouraged me to see investing as a means of escape, the start of my long journey pursuing "passive income", although I didn't know of the term back then. I despaired of ER upon hearing of the generic "80% of current income" targets touted by brokerages. Fear doubled my savings rate and I prayed for an exit in my 50's, based on my primitive estimates. I got lucky, then beat the "plan" by at least 6 yrs. You guys have been a huge help!

Early in my career, I also realized that employment at-will works both ways. It was the only thing I remembered when I read the employee handbook two decades ago!
I didn't want to drift into an entitlement mindset. It was not "MY job"; it was just "a j*b". So, in the words of Stephen Covey, I "began with the end in mind". An Effective Habit indeed!
FreeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2015, 11:54 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Finding someone who can save for decades then spend some/all of these savings to enjoy life and follow dreams is like finding the proverbial Unicorn.

+1 I was also happy to find this forum, with so many folks of similar mindsets. (I kind of "fell into" ER.org the week I retired, in June 2012). Though I couldn't retire until 59 (most of my career was part-time, and CA teachers generally find it too costly to retire before 60), most of my earnings the last 12 years fueled my "plot to escape." Even for part-time English teachers, the work can become grueling.

So, despite the usual joys of teaching, burnout was on the horizon. LBYM was a source of great hope......and facilitated an early departure.

There seem to be many others here who deliberately planned for early departures. And it is a nice pastime to hear their stories.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:48 PM   #23
gone traveling

Another mid 40s retiree here. Married young, have 2 kids and dear wife had been mostly SAHM ... but we hit the goal too in April @45 !

Just a matter of priorities and keeping the goal front and center !

Well done to you and your spouse and congratulations !!!! I will Look forward to more of your post retirement life updates.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:19 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations and welcome!

Great story, great sentiments. I like the idea of dedicating ER to your parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:19 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I read an article today based off a Stanford study. Made it sound like you were destined to be stuck in the same socio-economic group as your patents. I shared it with my wife today, how we both broke the spell. Congrats on your ER, can't wait to join the club next year!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Rdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:52 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Great post. The dedication that you and your wife have is admirable, and inspiring. You beat me to early retirement by about 9 years (I RE'd at 54 1/2), so I'm envious. I know your journey involved a lot of hard work and discipline. Enjoy your free time now, you have definitely earned it. I think you will love retirement....I know I do. The only advice I have is to stay active and make your health a priority from this point forward (as well as having fun, of course). I know that my health improved after retirement, after I started really taking the time to cook healthy meals and eat really well. Also, a daily exercise routine is now part of my life (it was not during my working years), and I don't anticipate ever changing that.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote