Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

459 account withdrawal rules - if still working
Old 07-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to cort
459 account withdrawal rules - if still working

Very different question here than usual, but hope someone can help.
Am 67, working on my third career - fire department city of mobile. contributing to the state retirement program and also to a 459 account. - like a 401. so, can i continue to contribute to the account past 70 1/2, and, further, must i start withdrawing from the account at 70 1/2?

Realize that this is the opposite of what most on this site are experiencing but am betting someone knows the answers here.
cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I assume you are asking about 457(b) plans? That's the deferred comp plan for public employees.

According to 457(b)wise : 457(b) FAQs, you must start withdrawing at 70 1/2 years old.

I would recommend reading the IRS publication on 457 plans IRC 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plans. You should also call your plan administrator, although a lot of times I found that they don't know a lot more about special cases like yours.
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
459 account