Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

47yo Fed Counting down to 2015
Old 06-15-2013, 01:13 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

47yo Fed Counting down to 2015

Hello all, I have been lurking on this site for about a year. I truly enjoy the site and have gained a ton of knowledge from the community. The class of 2015 Thread finally nudged me into joining.

I am a 47yo male, working for the last 23 years as a Federal Govt Law Enforcement Officer (LEO). I plan on retiring on October 31, 2015. At that time, I will be 50yo and have worked 25 years 7months. I also paid the military deposit for 4yrs I served in the US Navy. Add in about 10months of sick leave and I will be credited with just over 30 years. That gives me 44% of my high 3. As a LEO, I will also be immediately eligible for the FERS Suppliment, which approximates SS payments until I'm 62.

I don't plan on working even though everyone asks what I will do after pulling the plug. After so many years working for the Govt, I would like to live my life according to my schedule. I plan on hiking, biking, going to the gym, home projects, hanging out at the local coffee shop and doing some overlanding camping trips in the Southwestern US.
Fedupthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2013, 03:29 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome! And congratulations!
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:31 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sounds like a great plan. Welcome.
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome aboard, Fedupthere. Sounds like you've got a great plan there.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good for you. I was also a Fed, and retired at age 54.5, after a little over 31 years with the fed. govt.. I worked with two LEOs on our National Forest, and one of them is planning to retire next year, at about your age. Like you, I never planned to work (for pay) after I retired, and after being retired for 3+ years, that decision is working out just fine. I'm busy every day, but I'm doing things that I enjoy doing, according to my schedule.......it's a great life!
Best of luck to you.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Another Fed here, class of 2014 after 38 years...CSRS. Congratulations on your service and decision.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations on your plans! I am also FERS (not LEO) and was under the impression that sick leave time cash in could not be used to qualify you for retirement but was only to increase your percentage once eligible ??