49yo Retired Military, and now what?

E3 living on E8 pay: Now THAT is living below one's means. Congrats on your fortitude and especially on your Early Retirement!!

E3 living on E8 pay: Now THAT is living below one's means. Congrats on your fortitude and especially on your Early Retirement!!
That habit is going to make ER easy. Most of us struggle more with the spending side than the income side.

I wanted to provide a status update. I turned down the offer to work as adjunct faculty at the local university. The stated part-time work was becoming full time with much liability. I spent the last week completing over 12 hours of prep work and I was not even half way through. I have not even signed the contract yet. Forget that. I am back to FIRE.

I wanted to provide a status update. I turned down the offer to work as adjunct faculty at the local university. The stated part-time work was becoming full time with much liability. I spent the last week completing over 12 hours of prep work and I was not even half way through. I have not even signed the contract yet. Forget that. I am back to FIRE.

Yay!!:dance:

Good that you realized what was happening before you signed the contract. Not to worry, this doesn't mean that you have to put your brain in a box, it's a matter of finding a balance between stimulation/ satisfaction and stress.

Last edited:
Good that you realized what was happening before you signed the contract. Not to worry, this doesn't mean that you have to put your brain in a box, it's a matter of finding a balance between stimulation/ satisfaction and stress.

Yes, it was my wife who shined the light on the picture. I can tutor and make more money. So, the brain is going to stay out of the box and I am going to look into opening a tutor business. My viewpoint on work has drastically changed from when I retired back in May to now. Slowly I am settling into the current situation and coming to peace with it, but it truly has taken much work.

Yes, it was my wife who shined the light on the picture. I can tutor and make more money. So, the brain is going to stay out of the box and I am going to look into opening a tutor business. My viewpoint on work has drastically changed from when I retired back in May to now. Slowly I am settling into the current situation and coming to peace with it, but it truly has taken much work.

Try thumbtack to advertise. You’ll build a clientele quick then it’s word of mouth.

Hi Harris, Sorry, I just saw this. Smart wife! The tutoring business is a great idea, which allows for you to set your own schedule, take on as much or as little work as you want, and "enjoy" the progress of your students.

Considering the scope of your profession - the effort involved in rising to that level; your profession as CRNA being part of your identity; being well paid for a vital job; - and - frankly, how many of us ever left at the end of a shift being part of a team who saved someone's life? - I would think it unusual if you could just turn on a dime without some soul searching.

Hi Harris, Sorry, I just saw this. Smart wife! The tutoring business is a great idea, which allows for you to set your own schedule, take on as much or as little work as you want, and "enjoy" the progress of your students.

Considering the scope of your profession - the effort involved in rising to that level; your profession as CRNA being part of your identity; being well paid for a vital job; - and - frankly, how many of us ever left at the end of a shift being part of a team who saved someone's life? - I would think it unusual if you could just turn on a dime without some soul searching.

Thank you for the reply and the validation. Yes, this decision to turn away from the primary profession prior to my greatest earning years is not easy. I did not plan this. Prior to taking my last job the plan was to take break from the bedside, experience an alternative side of the profession and return in a couple years. What I did not plan was the pandemic, autoimmune disorder, military retirement and becoming the primary care provider for my father. Now, returning back to the profession after a 3-year layoff is daunting and undesirable.

Serving humanity for 30 years provided me a sense of purpose and accomplishment beyond expectation. I am choosing to be grateful to have had the opportunity. Now it is time to serve those who desire the same path and assist them to achieve. Truly, I am continuing to serve humanity. I cannot retire in the traditional sense, I have more to do. Good luck to those who can. Thank you.

Thank you for the reply and the validation. Yes, this decision to turn away from the primary profession prior to my greatest earning years is not easy. I did not plan this. Prior to taking my last job the plan was to take break from the bedside, experience an alternative side of the profession and return in a couple years. What I did not plan was the pandemic, autoimmune disorder, military retirement and becoming the primary care provider for my father. Now, returning back to the profession after a 3-year layoff is daunting and undesirable.

Serving humanity for 30 years provided me a sense of purpose and accomplishment beyond expectation. I am choosing to be grateful to have had the opportunity. Now it is time to serve those who desire the same path and assist them to achieve. Truly, I am continuing to serve humanity. I cannot retire in the traditional sense, I have more to do. Good luck to those who can. Thank you.

Well, as I read this I can honestly say this is not where my head is now. True, I do believe all this, but I returned to my profession. Not full time, and not fully practicing to my full scope as an anesthesia provider. Now, I pick my own hours, work as an independent provider and make more money doing it. Perhaps in the future I will return to full time when the time is right, but not right now.

I just returned from walking a section of the Camino de Santiago. Next month, I may go visit my daughter in California and in October I am going to Okinawa Japan. I do have an unsettling dread in my gut that I may have cashed early from my profession. My greatest earning years truly would be now. Have I met my goals professionally and financially, and the answer to this is an outstanding "Yes". So what is the deal than, sigh....Time will tell.

choosing your own work hours, more money than before, time to travel--sounds pretty ideal to me!
Retirement is all about living your life the way you choose. You have earned this time, give yourself grace to embrace this new change.
Coming from the nursing profession, I get it. We Nurses are all about giving and caring, working with purpose, sometime life and death decisions.
Take it one day at a time, things will fall in place.

Welcome. Retired Navy surgeon here after 24 years. I was 49 yo when I was let go by my first civilian job after AD. I could have stayed permanently retired at that time (house and cars paid off, no major credit debts), but I wanted to give civilian medicine one more chance. Then after 5 more years of practice, the competitive and administrative sides of medicine and the increasing liability of being in a procedure-oriented specialty led me to burnout, and I retired for good at age 55. One patient tried to sue me for a frivolous claim but could not go through with the lawsuit after his lawyer fired him and he could not find another to take his case. Even though the case never got past the accusation, the stressors of preparing for a possible malpractice lawsuit led me to look at patients through a different perspective. Subsequently I had trouble regaining my passion for patient care. So I am glad to be out of clinical medicine. They always say you should retire to something, not just from something, but I am happy to be out of the game now. I do some occasional consulting for the VA (with low liability) as a side gig, but otherwise I am enjoying retirement only having to care for my family, my pets, and myself.
I am not trying to give advice, since YMMV, of course. I wanted to give you one example of what can happen when the siren of medicine keeps calling on you.

Welcome. Retired Navy surgeon here after 24 years. I was 49 yo when I was let go by my first civilian job after AD. I could have stayed permanently retired at that time (house and cars paid off, no major credit debts), but I wanted to give civilian medicine one more chance. Then after 5 more years of practice, the competitive and administrative sides of medicine and the increasing liability of being in a procedure-oriented specialty led me to burnout, and I retired for good at age 55. One patient tried to sue me for a frivolous claim but could not go through with the lawsuit after his lawyer fired him and he could not find another to take his case. Even though the case never got past the accusation, the stressors of preparing for a possible malpractice lawsuit led me to look at patients through a different perspective. Subsequently I had trouble regaining my passion for patient care. So I am glad to be out of clinical medicine. They always say you should retire to something, not just from something, but I am happy to be out of the game now. I do some occasional consulting for the VA (with low liability) as a side gig, but otherwise I am enjoying retirement only having to care for my family, my pets, and myself.
I am not trying to give advice, since YMMV, of course. I wanted to give you one example of what can happen when the siren of medicine keeps calling on you.

I truly appreciate the message. Obviously, you can understand the angst in deciding to permanently retire after AD or not. Plus, I can understand having been a witness to a defendant of a lawsuit and most recently found out there is a pending claim against me from 7 years ago while AD the struggle is real. We serve to help and defend our country, not ourselves from erroneous claims.

In my circumstance, my last duty station was out of the clinical arena. I took the job to chase 06 with the understanding I'll have time to maintain clinical skills working at Camp P and moonlighting. The plan was working out until the pandemic. During the pandemic my job demanded my efforts toward it, and not clinical sustainment. After getting passed over twice I decided to retire. Going into the civilian workforce while being out of clinical for over 2 years was truly a challenge. Do I retire for good or fight the current to struggle back into the workforce at age 50. Without case logs for two years most hospitals wouldn't touch me. Staying in for another duty station would have been the remedy, but outside factors at the time contributed to the decision to retire.

Well, I decided to take baby steps while working part-time at a GI center doing sedation. Also, I volunteer at the Fort Belvoir teaching life support classes along with teaching at the local university. I had recently been offered a job at a small hospital to work to my full scope, but it would require travel and separation from the family. Needless to say I did not choose this. I too am financially set, and my wife is still AD with a plan to retire after 30 years as a CDR. I still have the desire to work, but now it is on my terms. How this will manifest itself in the future, I do not know. We will see.

Again, thank you for your message and your service sir. Truly appreciate it.

choosing your own work hours, more money than before, time to travel--sounds pretty ideal to me!
Retirement is all about living your life the way you choose. You have earned this time, give yourself grace to embrace this new change.
Coming from the nursing profession, I get it. We Nurses are all about giving and caring, working with purpose, sometime life and death decisions.
Take it one day at a time, things will fall in place.

Thank you for your reply and understanding. Yes, we nurses do have the calling. Although, after 30 years in the profession I feel I served my time. Now, it's on my terms.

Well, as I read this I can honestly say this is not where my head is now. True, I do believe all this, but I returned to my profession. Not full time, and not fully practicing to my full scope as an anesthesia provider. Now, I pick my own hours, work as an independent provider and make more money doing it. Perhaps in the future I will return to full time when the time is right, but not right now.

I just returned from walking a section of the Camino de Santiago. Next month, I may go visit my daughter in California and in October I am going to Okinawa Japan. I do have an unsettling dread in my gut that I may have cashed early from my profession. My greatest earning years truly would be now. Have I met my goals professionally and financially, and the answer to this is an outstanding "Yes". So what is the deal than, sigh....Time will tell.

I was wondering how you were doing. When you first posted, you were utterly burnt out, concerned that the symptoms from your AI might interfere with your ability to provide patient care, and had concerns about working things out with DW. Retirement is a process, which you seem to have been navigating well. Do your trips and work as an independent contractor indicate that you have had some relief? I hope so.

A lot of retirees had to wrestle with the decision of walking away from their greatest earning years. With regard to that - a saying comes to mind: you can have anything - but you can't have everything. Now, this is not 100% true, but I reference it for the general concept.

Would working full time offer you financial benefits - yes - but - would there be a price? It is not only the time vs money scenario - but would working long hours on someone else's schedule mean that you are increasing your risk of a debilitating flare?

I was wondering how you were doing. When you first posted, you were utterly burnt out, concerned that the symptoms from your AI might interfere with your ability to provide patient care, and had concerns about working things out with DW. Retirement is a process, which you seem to have been navigating well. Do your trips and work as an independent contractor indicate that you have had some relief? I hope so.

A lot of retirees had to wrestle with the decision of walking away from their greatest earning years. With regard to that - a saying comes to mind: you can have anything - but you can't have everything. Now, this is not 100% true, but I reference it for the general concept.

Would working full time offer you financial benefits - yes - but - would there be a price? It is not only the time vs money scenario - but would working long hours on someone else's schedule mean that you are increasing your risk of a debilitating flare?

Thank you for your concern. Yes, the AI without prednisone definitely is a show stopper. Went back on prednisone last month and currently feel great. Will be evaluated again in July by the Rheumatologist.

Yes, looking back now, I was 100% burned out. Life at the time took its toll on my mind, body and spirit. If it was just the job causing the problem, I probably would have been able to overcome, but it was the need to care for my sick father, family moving across country and the AI that put me over the top. It's taken a year to recover. No, I have no desire for full time work.

Thank you for your concern. Yes, the AI without prednisone definitely is a show stopper. Went back on prednisone last month and currently feel great. Will be evaluated again in July by the Rheumatologist.

Yes, looking back now, I was 100% burned out. Life at the time took its toll on my mind, body and spirit. If it was just the job causing the problem, I probably would have been able to overcome, but it was the need to care for my sick father, family moving across country and the AI that put me over the top. It's taken a year to recover. No, I have no desire for full time work.

Yes, I remember about your dad. Stress (emotional) as well as physical, takes its toll. I'm glad you are feeling so well - you surely deserve it.

Yes, I remember about your dad. Stress (emotional) as well as physical, takes its toll. I'm glad you are feeling so well - you surely deserve it.

Thank you so much. He is doing well. I am happy I had the opportunity to set him up with the proper care.

It is crazy. I wanted to do an annual update on this thread, but realized it has only been a little over 6 months when wrote this. How is this possible. The place where I was in my head only 6 months ago when retired is truly different than today. This tells me I have come a long way. Time and work on thy self has truly paid off. I will provide a quick update, but I will save a lessons learned for December 2023.

I am currently working only on average 4-6 days per month providing sedation to those who coming to the GI clinic for GI procedures. This is primarily to keep my license active and extra spending money. Now, spending money I need. Wow, this past 6 months I have been spending some money. More time home with idle time the more I want to spend. Now, of course this is all extra spending money, but jeesh....I truly should slow down.

Purchases:
-2022 Toyota 4Runner ($42K) and followed it up with $10k+ of modifications.
-$15k on my Stereo/TV.
-Vacations to European, California and Colorado and planning a trip to Japan in October.

Approximate expenditure --> $75K

Plan is to work to play. In other words the amount of money I choose to earn will fund my expenses to play. So, to be honest I do not foresee this happening this year, haha. I will probably make $40K this year and next year will need to cover down on the expenses from this year. Well, guess I need to slow down on the spending, oops. I thought most people are conservative when they retire, not me......Am I an outlier?

Last edited:
It is crazy. I wanted to do an annual update on this thread, but realized it has only been a little over 6 months when wrote this. How is this possible. The place where I was in my head only 6 months ago when retired is truly different than today. This tells me I have come a long way. Time and work on thy self has truly paid off. I will provide a quick update, but I will save a lessons learned for December 2023.

I am currently working only on average 4-6 days per month providing sedation to those who coming to the GI clinic for GI procedures. This is primarily to keep my license active and extra spending money. Now, spending money I need. Wow, this past 6 months I have been spending some money. More time home with idle time the more I want to spend. Now, of course this is all extra spending money, but jeesh....I truly should slow down.

Purchases:
-2022 Toyota 4Runner ($42K) and followed it up with $10k+ of modifications.
-$15k on my Stereo/TV.
-Vacations to European, California and Colorado and planning a trip to Japan in October.

Approximate expenditure --> $75K

Plan is to work to play. In other words the amount of money I choose to earn will fund my expenses to play. So, to be honest I do not foresee this happening this year, haha. I will probably make $40K this year and next year will need to cover down on the expenses from this year. Well, guess I need to slow down on the spending, oops. I thought most people are conservative when they retire, not me......Am I an outlier?

I did two rehabs of (first town house in Paradise and then condo on other side of the Island.) I spent all my cash which was not my intent. Unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to w*rk a few days to refill the coffers.

Good on you!

Not sure how it was or currently is with choosing early retirement prior to the spouse. I will say its been a struggle seeing her suffer at work. I would say this may only be my opinion, but she tells me so. She just recently got promoted to CDR, so she will need to complete another 3 years until becoming eligible for the high 3 retirement. This is the retirement scheme I chose to do after 22 years in the Navy. She will have 30 years when she is finished. Needless to say, this will be a long 3 years.

Now, I cannot foresee I will ever go back working full time. Although, It has been a mind F!@#$ at times since I left my greatest earning potential on the table. Plus, seeing the wife work, I felt like I was the weakest link and was not pulling my weight. At times, the wife implied I should work.

Over the past 15 months, I have spent a great deal of money on hobbies, vacations (6) and a new car. The wife and I maintain a 50/50 financial relationship where we do not mix our money besides one mutual checking account where we pay bills. So, all the money I used to splurge came from my stash. With all this said, I am still in the positive at the end of the year. I only say this to make a point, financially I am doing well, and do not need to work. I tested it. Although, still felt guilty I was not working.

Well, I realized today, and maybe for sometime, I believe I was seeking validation from the spouse that it was indeed ok for me to retire. So, I got it today. She turned to me while at lunch and stated, "If I were you, I would enjoy your life and be grateful that you truly can retire at age 49yo." I cannot say how good this felt to receive validation from her. Truly a relief. Now, it is my turn to support her through the grind so she can too, retire to a peace of mind.

Last edited:
- Priceless -

I just want to say I really appreciate the perspective of reading about your journey from retirement.

I'm on the other side of the door, still have 4.5 years left before I hit 20yrs for the military retirement (at age 42)... but the current plan is to jump ship right about then. DW is already on a medical retirement from USAF, and adding my eventual pension to hers will readily cover all of our baseline expenses, not counting our healthy investment portfolio... so neither of us will need to work. She's finishing a doctoral program to become a PT (life-long goal), so she'll probably work in that for some number of years, but I'm currently claiming an aspiration to SAHD status for our 3 kids (they'll be 7-13y/o at that point).

However, over time you've articulated alot of my underlying concerns about staying engaged, and separating my identity from the military & the idea of working in a profession. I can't say that I've resolved those concerns yet, but we'll see what the future holds.

Mostly, I'm just following along on your journey with gratitude for the viewpoint ahead... But from what I've gathered, the biggest thing is to stay flexible & open to opportunities that may present themselves... which may include PT work, some hobby/interest, or otherwise. Thanks to all, just watching from the sidelines here.

Thanks for the tags, everyone!

Welcome, @Harris4crna, and thanks for following the site.

Let me know if you have more questions on details, but it looks as if you’re figuring things out. The key is to explore your interests and answer your “What if...?” questions through small experiments, and give it a couple of years in between any major life changes.

It’s difficult to avoid recreating the stressful work environment which you left, while finding a new activity that’s challenging, fulfilling, & sustainable. You’ll end up reassessing every couple of years, especially if the dissatisfiers creep into your routine.

One of my favorite books for figuring out life (not just retirement) is Designing Your Life. The authors suggest making a plan and then iterating on it as you go... and it’s sustainable for the rest of your life.

We reached FI at the end of 1999, and I stayed until mid-2002 for an active-duty pension.

In retrospect, I should’ve gone to the Reserves just about anytime after 1992 (when we started our family). The finances would’ve worked out about the same and the quality of life would’ve been way better. At the time I was too ignorant, fearful, and chronically fatigued to make the time to figure out how the Reserves worked.

Nords,

I will be honest with you, I had difficulty getting through the book, Designing your Life. On the hand, I most recently perused your profile here on the site and saw you recommend the book, Work Less, Live More. I most recently read this on trip back to Japan to visit family. Now, this book was truly down my ally. I really enjoyed this book despite being a little out dated. The content remains relevant. I love the fact it even mentions higher earning professionals like myself with the ability to work part-time to fund life pleasures. That we can work, but on our terms. Much different than our time in the Navy for sure. Plus, it focuses we no longer need to work for purpose of identity, but rather the means to be retired. Any other suggestions for good reads related to this would be truly appreciated. I am always perusing your info since I too come from a dual military family. Wife is due to retire in a couple years from AD. Thank you for all you do for our community.

Shawn

Back
Top Bottom