$5.6 million and,....

post-28223-Scrooge-McDuck-Swimming-in-Gol-6kjL.gif
Z

Shoot, for them kind of bucks you should be able to hire a for fee only finance type.

By the way, if you could make that much by your own savvy, why are you asking here?

Or out pure generosity, give 1/2 to the gummint so they can put it to good use helping the less fortunate.

John_Q_Public -

If you're wondering why you've received simplistic answers and jokes in reply to your post, please consider that you are asking a bunch of strangers with whom you have had little to no previous interaction to spend time helping you out. In order to help get them interested in doing this, you gotta throw 'em a bone. Give a little background information - your level of investing experience and knowledge, tolerance for risk, your approximate age and how long you want this portfolio to last, and what kind of income you're hoping to draw from it. At least put the effort in to write a few sentences so that the members here will feel motivated to write more than one sentence in reply (which is what you gave us in your very incomplete question).

For what it's worth, here's my plan. I have no where near the amount you have, but my plan is to keep the same asset allocation at whatever level of assets I have. If I had $1 million or if I had $10 million, I would invest similarly. I'm told at levels above $10 million then tax considerations may start to dominate and I will need professional (tax planning, not financial planning) help.

Otherwise, I like three fund portfolios. Vanguard Total Stock Market, Vanguard International Stock and Vanguard Total Bond Market. I like 70% equity and 50/50 international, so I put 35% in each of the two equity funds and 30% in fixed income. Bond rates are so low, I'm hedging slightly with only 15% in total bond market, and 15% in CDs. I don't expect this tweak in fixed income will make much difference, but it helps me ignore all the financial news about predicting rising interest rates.

Assuming the OP is even serious (hard to believe), I have to assume he/she prefers a "hands off" approach. Put it all in Wellington, Wellesley, a balanced or target retirement fund or a lazy portfolio of your choice Lazy portfolios - Bogleheads. I wouldn't recommend it, but some would suggest at least part in an annuity.

Anything beyond that would likely be a mistake without some investing education.

Last edited:
For me there is NO difference whatsoever whether I'm investing $100K or $100M.

1. WGD (wide global diversification)
2. CMM (cost matters most)
3. KISS (keep it simple, stupid)

Pick an asset allocation that allows you to sleep well (volatility risk) and eat well (inflation risk).

I would have thought it does matter, if OP only really needs a $3M to meet needs seems it would be invested our normal way, but I'd go all equity with the remainder and grow a legacy

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom