Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

5 year countdown in Mississippi
Old 06-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

5 year countdown in Mississippi

Hello everyone,
Completely new to this site as of 5 days ago. Have been reading as much as I can and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the great advice, insights, and most of all the success stories of those who have travelled the ER path. I am 47 and would like to retire at 53. My wife is retired from healthcare and I am still working 50 plus hours/week in healthcare. I still enjoy my job but don't "love" it like I did just a few years back. Most of my associates at work cannot or will not stop working b/c of the insane conviction to support kids forever and/or extravagant lifestyle (some in their early 70's). I did not realize how much we had saved until I read some of these posts and decided to make a spreadsheet of assets. So here goes: 1,500,000 in retirement (IRAs-both traditional and roth, 403b, and 401k). 1,100,000 in nonretirement accounts (Series I bonds, mutual funds, individual equities), 2,000,000 in real estate (main home, weekend home , and empty lot). Have saved a great deal and worked extreme hours, but investment returns have been average at best. I would like to be able to generate about 120k in todays dollars and plan on beating inflation by 1-2 percentage points (yes, I know I'm conservative and maybe a pessimist). Any comments/thoughts are welcome. Thank you in advance.
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome from another in healthcare.

Downsize your home and sell the real estate and your done already.

DD
Old 06-27-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome from a 6th generation Mississippian. For those of you who may not know, Gulfport was at the eye of the worst hurricanes in USA history: Camille in 1969 and Katrina in 2005. Gulfport has recovered nicely.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:13 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
Welcome from another in healthcare.

Downsize your home and sell the real estate and your done already.

DD
I agree. I wouldn't work another day.
robbridg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the input. Such a neat site. I do have 3 kids (one in college and one six yr old) and they all have college paid for (not included in the assets mentioned), so I'm probably going to stick it out for 4-5 more years to get healthcare benefits, etc. The "big" house is great with all the kids, but we are definitely going to downsize when the 6 yr old gets closer to high school.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome
Old 06-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Welcome Big E! Gotta ask, is your name a reference to...

Old 06-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome, from another poster who also happens to work in healthcare.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Hello everyone,
I am 47 and would like to retire at 53. My wife is retired from healthcare and I am still working 50 plus hours/week in healthcare.
Welcome! Since you are going to stay with it for another 6 years you might want to think about gradually cutting back your workload.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! What an awesome portfolio! I would just buy the healthcare benefits. There are strategies for getting this done, even if some pre-existing conditions are hindering the situation. Question: If you "FIRE" now, will you regret not having spent additional days in your job after a few years goes by?
OrcasIslandBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:55 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Big E is just a nickname I had in school way back in the 1970's when dinosaurs were still occasionally seen.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:48 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

welcome.

Congrats on your savings.

IMO - You look like you can support your lifestyle and are FI. But you need to develop a complete financial plan for the withdrawal phase. You should also do a little soul searching about what you intend to do with the rest or your life. Take your time, no need to hurry.

Health care is a big issue for most. But if you are waiting for another 5 years then the insurance through health care reform should be available by that time (assuming it withstand the court challenges).
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote