50 year old, Rolling Over sizable 401k, Should I dump my Financial Planner?

In those 10 years I have purchased a home, paid off all my and my spouses college debt, had two kids, now credit card debt, and saved what looks to be $500k by the end of this year. All in 10 years.

That's pretty impressive so you're doing well!

Welcome to the forum. I can't add anything to what the others have already said, and agree that Ameriprise is fleecing you.

If you go the DIY route you don't have to beat the "pro" money managers. You just have to do slightly better than equal what they do minus their fees and you're still ahead. That's why so many people like Vanguard, Fidelity, and Schwab because the fees make so much difference over time. But in reality, you'll likely do better - much better - if you pick low-cost index funds and just sit on them rather than doing a lot of trading.

Two more book recommendations are "The Millionaire Teacher" and "How a Second Grader Beat Wall Street". Easy read and they clarify what some people think is a complex subject and make it easy. They are where I learned about the "Couch Potato Portfolio". The books also emphasize more than most other books the difference that fees make over time so that's why I recommend them.

If nothing else you could just pick a low-cost target date fund, put everything in there, and you'd still be ahead from what you're getting from Ameriprise after the fees they charge.

GCGANG
Thanks for your input. Their fees are tied up in their funds. They dont charge for things like yearly fees, consultation fees, etc... I dont think things are as bad as some are making it out to be. To say that I am getting swindled is an overstatement.

No, things are exactly as bad as some are making it out to be. Don't kick yourself over it; but, please don't underestimate the outrageous ripoff that has occurred here. Just call Vanguard and get everything moved that you can.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I've advised several friends / relatives to quit their FA by pointing out how much they are paying. This comes as a big surprise to them, as the FA doesn't give them a yearly statement that says " You paid me $10,326 out of your earnings this year."

The bad news is that this triggers an emotional response. Initially it is anger at the FA, but then it turns inward and the investor feels like they are culpable for letting it happen. Then that anger is redirected onto the person that pointed it out (in my case, me :(). After all, everyone was happy until the true charges were laid bare by the troublemaker.

So, my point is that one needs to get past the emotional part of it and decide if you want to continue with the FA or do something different. It truly is not your fault that the true sum and impact of these fees is not readily known. The system is rigged in favor of the financial industry.

Edit to add: For anyone happy with their FA, don't flame me - just keep doing what you are doing. It is your money.

travelover
You're spot on, but, I am not remaining angry with the FA at Ameriprise. That's in the past now. I am a bit pissed at myself, but moving on asap. I, for sure, am appreciative of the folks here for helping me to arrive at a solution and motivating me to act on it without haste.

I will start a new thread here when everything is moved to Vanguard. This should be completed next week. I am already reading some of the recommended books and blogs and have a basic understanding of what I should do next. I think I will need some help sometimes though, so I can make decent decisions. I am very optimistic and thankful for everyone here!

travelover
You're spot on, but, I am not remaining angry with the FA at Ameriprise. That's in the past now. I am a bit pissed at myself, but moving on asap. I, for sure, am appreciative of the folks here for helping me to arrive at a solution and motivating me to act on it without haste.

I will start a new thread here when everything is moved to Vanguard. This should be completed next week. I am already reading some of the recommended books and blogs and have a basic understanding of what I should do next. I think I will need some help sometimes though, so I can make decent decisions. I am very optimistic and thankful for everyone here!
Awesome. The thing that amazed me once I'd spent a lot of time studying it, was how simple and inexpensive investing can be.

OP, good move! You still have time to recover.

Another good place to get educated about investments and personal finance is the Bogleheads Wiki. The focus is on low cost index funds and tax optimization.
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

You may have come across some recent news about Warren Buffet's bet & comments on investing and index funds.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/buffett-most-mportant-investment-lesson-211351601.html

With most people withdrawing (SWR) 3-4% of their portfolio as income during retirement, 1.5-2% asset fees (+ back end load of 5%!) would mean they have the half of the income available to spend on themselves (the other half going to the FA/MF company)!

Thanks Pixelville
Funny thing is that prior to Ameriprise my portfolio was VFINX, DIA, SPY. Shoulda woulda coulda

Thanks Pixelville
Funny thing is that prior to Ameriprise my portfolio was VFINX, DIA, SPY. Shoulda woulda coulda

We all have those.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger/smarter.😕

Don't beat yourself over it. Most of us have been there, saw the light (of index funds). Some got there early, some a little later and a large percentage of the population is still very much in the dark and will likely never realize in their lifetime.
One has to be ready & open to this and you were, so that is great.

As you will realize over the years, it is not just about the low-fees, simplicity, passive investing (low time commitment) but also about tax-efficiency and other benefits.

I do tax volunteering mostly for seniors (also in the Bay Area) and see numerous 1099s where investors are clearly being taken for a ride by their FA but they just don't understand.

Honestly, unless you are completely uninterested in managing your own money (and lots of folks are), it's hard to make a case for paying someone to pick mutual funds for you. I don't see anything wrong with paying an hourly fee-only planner to make some recommendations and help you with your overall financial plan, but Ameriprise is not that place. Their model is to put you in fee generating funds or active trading accounts to make money.

I'm glad you are taking control of your accounts and educating yourself about fees and expenses. A startling number of folks never do.

I spent a few quality hours last week with the CFA in our office looking at expenses on my mutual funds, comparing them to category average, and seeing how close they hew to their respective indexes. Even though I work in this environment, I'm still guilty of not always keeping up with reviewing my own accounts at least once a year.

Good luck to you in the DIY educational journey! :)

I've got a different type of question/thought. As Ameriprise keeps growing and duping clients successfully it could be a good idea to purchase AMP. I'm against smoking, but got over it and bought PM and MO (I'm sure my mutual funds have always contained them). However, I haven't been able to overcome my animosity to Ameriprise and its business practices with its clients as I read about them on this forum or Bogleheads, but I hear that AMP is doing great...

If you could sleep after owning PM then perhaps AMP is right for you...... Let us know

I also owned MO before spin-off of Kraft and Philip Morris and still own MO and PM from that investment. Great investment :). I am getting high 2 digit dividend yield on my initial investment.

:dance:

No I never ever had any advisor :)

After lawsuit MO was selling dirt cheap. It looked like good buy. It was many many years ago and indeed it was superb buy.

It is kind of the company I prefer to buy. Wide Moat with dedicated loyal customers. It may be bad for you but AAPL exploiting Chinese workers who commit suicide on daily bases is also not nice and I believe something like KO or PM will be here long after AAPL is gone :)

Last edited:
I'm guessing the OP is getting a bit emotional as he feels exploited by AMP. At least that's the vibe I got after mentioning a possibility of investing in AMP. I didn't want come across as attempting to belittle you, but I'm honestly curious how they manage to dupe y'all. It's probably because people don't want to study their own money because it can be scary to have that responsibility. I get such a feeling once in a while as the pot enhances.

This has nothing to do with OP re considering AMP. There's so much information about the company and reviews of their tactics but for whatever reason people still choose to work with them... Same goes with PM and MO, KO, MCD, etc. There's loads of information how bad they are, etc., but businesses seem to thrive. If you researched mutual funds that Ameriprise FA bought for you, you might even find AMP beside PM, MO, etc.

Sorry Aida
My comment wasn't meant to say that someone's a bad person for buying AMP. I phrased that horribly. I was simply trying to voice my frustration with my current situation. Sorry again.

Honestly, I haven't thought much about analyzing the buying opportunity of stocks that deal in death and swindling people. To be honest, I would like to think I wouldn't go out of my way to capitalize of these things even if I could profit. But, if they were in a recommended mutual fund that I liked, I wouldn't dump it for that reason alone.....not so consistent here :)

Sorry Aida
My comment wasn't meant to say that someone's a bad person for buying AMP. I phrased that horribly. I was simply trying to voice my frustration with my current situation. Sorry again.

Honestly, I haven't thought much about analyzing the buying opportunity of stocks that deal in death and swindling people. To be honest, I would like to think I wouldn't go out of my way to capitalize of these things even if I could profit. But, if they were in a recommended mutual fund that I liked, I wouldn't dump it for that reason alone.....not so consistent here :)

But with Globalization all companies kinda exploit/swindle 80% of population. Capital is free to move anywhere in the world but working person can not pack and move.

Noam Chomsky's movies "Requiem for the American Dream" elaborates about it. It is interesting thing to watch on Netflix.

I stayed away from PM and MO for gazillion years until I couldn't. Yes, they shorten people's lives, but do they keep a gun pointed to your head telling to smoke...?? Speaking of guns and defense, those stocks are thriving as they manufacture massive killing equipment, planes, etc. If we wanted to stay totally 'kosher' I don't know there's a stock you'd be able to buy.

Sorry to hijack your thread. You've got actually different problem to deal with...like firing your FA. Best of luck! Hopefully Ameriprise doesn't have any strings, and you can move penalty or fee free.

Back
Top Bottom