50 year old with 4 months to go...

BluesWannabe

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hello,

I've been lurking here for a few months, but this is my first post. I find the forums to be very helpful, thank you.

I've worked for the same company for the last 25 years in the technology area, heading it up for the last dozen years or so. I've been part its growth and the global expansion. This "mini-mega-corp" was not my first job but it has been my home, where I grew up. It's high stress, but I love(d) it.

Last year the company was purchased by a larger conglomerate, and one by one, most of the executive staff is being moved down/around or out. Many of my friends are gone, going, or unhappy. The atmosphere here is deadly - not only because of the takeover, but because business is off sharply. I have taken a package, but I have to work until the end of the year to trigger it. If not for the new direction of the firm, I would not be retiring... but I have no desire to put my resume together or work for some other mega-corp...

I am very lucky - I have a wonderful wife and teen-aged daughter. My daughter is a good kid but a typical teenager.

My wife (DW) owns her own business, and I help out with the technology aspects as needed. DW makes her own hours, and can work from home or her office.

We are extremely fortunate to be financially independent. We have been excellent savers and live way below our means - but we do not deprive ourselves, either. Our mortgage is paid off, money for college set aside.

Mostly I'm concerned about what I'll do with all of my time. I have a number of hobbies (playing guitar, building tube amps, strategy games, reading, more...). I'm afraid that these will grow old quickly if they become my main occupation... I would like to take cooking courses, and find a guitar instructor...

But, I am afraid I'll become listless and bored... I hope you'll tell me I'm out of my mind... :)

In any case, I just thought I'd say hello...

The best thing about retirement is once you are rested up you can pick and choose what you want to do! Some of the things you think you want to do may not hold youir attention once you have the time and many things you never thought of can jump out at you. Time and choices is what retirement is for me. I can change my mind and direction any time I want. No negotiating with the boss, the team, the corporate policies. Just internal discussions and boy am I glad!

Almost welcome aboard and you will be amazed at how much or how little you can accomplish and enjoy!

I totally agree with above. Retirement is about choices. Maybe you always wanted to work in a hardware store, but couldn't live on the salary. Well now you can. Ditto with having an Ebay business, volunteering or doing all your own yard and house work, or chasing butterflies. Now you get to decide.

There is no deadline - let the answer(s) come to you.

Welcomes, why do you call yourself Blues?

Yes of course you are loonytoons. If you are interested in volunteer w*rk, sometimes opportunities just fall into you lap. PM me if you are interested: volunteer w*rk can be done at home or anywhere you take your laptop, no envelop stuffing required, set your own hours. ;)

crazy connie, travelover:

Thanks for the replies... I have to admit that the "choices" aspect is both compelling and scary... I've worked since I was a teenager, and always had a place I had to go, or something that was due.

CuppaJoe,

Thankfully the Blues in BluesWannabe is because I love blues and blues rock music, not because I have the blues.

Oh, who are your faves? Do you go hear live music?
I am more Americana, leaning into folk, but I also can sit down with Paul Butterfield any evening of the week.
I can't wait to FIRE, so I can become a band groupie without worrying about what time I have to get up in the morning.
:)

crazy connie, travelover:

Thanks for the replies... I have to admit that the "choices" aspect is both compelling and scary... I've worked since I was a teenager, and always had a place I had to go, or something that was due. ..............

I worked from when I was 14 and got my first paper route. The hard part, I think, is shaking off expectations from others, real or imagined. You don't "need" to work - try to accept that.

Hope to see you over on the retired side soon. At the end of the month I'll be takin' mile walk to a Blues Festival which I can hear from my apt. Should have enough energy to actually go there now that I'm retired.

Another thing I sometimes do is structure my free time with lots of fun activities instead of someone else's gotta's.

Welcome , The what to do all day is really easy once you get into a relaxed frame of mind !

Thankfully the Blues in BluesWannabe is because I love blues and blues rock music, not because I have the blues.

I just had to respond and let you know that you aren't alone with your love of the blues and blues rock music. I keep my XM satellite radio on "Bluesville.....exit 74 on the XM highway".

Oh, who are your faves? Do you go hear live music?
I am more Americana, leaning into folk, but I also can sit down with Paul Butterfield any evening of the week.
I can't wait to FIRE, so I can become a band groupie without worrying about what time I have to get up in the morning.
:)

I lean to harder electric blues, but I listen to everything... Lately I've been listening to Joe Bonamassa, Vivian Campbell and Guitar Shorty...

But I'm eclectic, I listen to a lot of classical music, jazz and fusion (I love Scott Henderson), Aimee Mann, and lots of others

Hehe, band groupie is one thing I had not considered!

I just had to respond and let you know that you aren't alone with your love of the blues and blues rock music. I keep my XM satellite radio on "Bluesville.....exit 74 on the XM highway".

Thanks, good deal! I don't have XM radio, but I find a lot of artists that are new to me by using Pandora radio... My "Hubert Sumlin" station is fantastic!!

Back
Top Bottom