Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2008 View Post
Sorry about the bad news about your health.

But I am also concerned about this part:

Do you really feel that you need his "permission"?
Your numbers show clearly that you will not be under water or expect him to work longer so that you can work less.
Thanks it does sound as if he may be a bit controlling. He is very frustrating at times as he is so stubborn. I was relieved he was starting to see things my way, I had been contemplating just going ahead and applying for my pension but he blew a gasket a couple of years ago when I got a stocks and shares isa without asking him! He knew I was seeing a financial adviser and I'm the one who watches our money he just occasionally checks wether he should be using credit card or current account card.
I have now had my review with my neurologist with husband in tow. My husband told him I wanted medical retirement and my neurologist is happy to fill the paperwork. Unfortunately I am awaiting neurosurgical review and probable surgery to my neck.
The good news is medical retirement is not actuarily reduced due to my age and depending on which tier I am given there may be six years enhancement.
My minimum pension now will be £50,000 and lump sum about £150,000. Clearly the bad news is that the fatigue which led to me wanting desperately to stop working is due to ill health. I am fluctuating between being relieved and happy and weepy / upset about leaving work for this reason. I am pretty anxious about surgery but the alternative is decreasing function and pain. The surgery does not improve current symptoms much but stops progression (hopefully). Unsure how long this will all take but as I haven't had a day off sick for 16 years I'm hoping my retirement package comes through before my surgery.
Hoping to join the class of 2013....
UkGP51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I hope your cervical surgery goes well and that DH will listen to reason. You are fortunate to have a pension and severance. As a physician in Canada, I have no pension.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I hope your cervical surgery goes well and that DH will listen to reason. You are fortunate to have a pension and severance. As a physician in Canada, I have no pension.
Thank you I hope it goes well too. DH definitely u turned on retirement. I had been wearing him down but the medical retirement as opposed to the early retirement has let him agree without losing face as its not what I've been asking for for months that he has agreed too. Finally a win win situation regarding stopping work but I feel so stupid for not realising what has been creeping on for the last 4-5 years. I've had lhermittes mildly for 6 years then gradually much worse for 4 years but thought it was related to fibromyalgia. I had discussed symptoms with my partners 10 years ago and with my own GP 2 years ago but we all decided that as it was not a pain or electric shock type symptom it was not lhermittes.

We are now paying at least 24% of our income to the pension pot. For GP's on a higher income it is closer to 30%. As we are self employed we pay the employers 14% contribution as well as up to 14% (or so I think may not be quite that high!) employees superann. With national insurance and tax some GP's are only taking home approx 40% of income. The pension and lump sum are related to yearly income not what has been paid in with a weighting for higher earners. It sounds a lot but final salary schemes like the NHS are still a good deal (or so they tell us). GP's get pension related to career average income.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Best of luck on your surgery and getting through all the retirement paperwork. I hope your fatigue gets better and you are able to enjoy your retirement soon.
meekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:23 AM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Retirement paperwork came through but not with my name on it!! My name is unusual but there is another GP with the same surname.....

I've been looking at pension rules, if I had taken early retirement with its 30% reduction I wouldn't have later been able to change it to medical. Something to thank my husband for! My husband thought I just had depression and that it would get better over time, I have been on pain antidepressants for six weeks (duloxetine) and don't feel any different. I am certainly relieved at present but my mood was not low I am just exhausted. I was slightly disappointed they did not make me into a new woman,?.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Six weeks is not a long time. Stay the course and chill out.

Would a glass of wine help?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

DW was just put on duloxitin, pharmacist(chemist) told me it could take 8 weeks to take effect. Plus you gotta be in lots of pain and anxiety.

Hang in there, it does get better.

MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

If you have not already gone this route, you might want to consider trying natural treatments for your fatigue, pain, hypermobility and fibromyalgia - things like yoga, accupressure balls, magnesium rich paleo leaning diet, ergonomic work station, chemical free house and posture training. There isn't a lot of downside risk and most of those things are healthy, low cost life improvements anyway.

I had almost all the same symptoms at one time and couldn't work, but now I'm out of pain and able to work, hike, bike, dance, etc.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:31 AM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have just found out I have been assessed as higher tier ill health. This is a huge relief. Surgery will probably be December although I have booked a cruise for mid January... Duloxetine stopped my bladder working but luckily gabapentin has been fantastic for me although I do need maximum dose. I have been having reflexology which works well for me. My finish date at work is 31/12 so unsure if I'm class of 2013 or 14. My replacement commenced at the beginning of October as I am entitled to three months sick so I am just working 1-3 clinical sessions and doing paper / computer work to wind things up.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:46 AM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

My last official day at work was yesterday. I'm feeling very strange indeed, I'm really on sick leave until the 31st December, not retired yet. My operation date is Tuesday 3rd December. My pension figures have not come through so feeling a bit anxious. I had to decide on whether I had the minimum lump sum or a bit more without knowing any numbers. I have elected to get an additional £96,000 by giving up £8,000 per year. Its tax free but as I'm only 51 I generally would be better with maximum pension... never mind.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I wish you good luck with the surgery and your pensions numbers. Keep us posted!
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I wish you good luck with the surgery and your pensions numbers. Keep us posted!
Thanks, surgery went well (I am no worse) and my pension letter arrived on 23rd December - great Christmas present!
My yearly pension is ok even with the £8000 removed so £96000 extra lump sum to play with. I'm wondering about paying the rental houses mortgages down before interest rates go up. This would reduce expenses. I'm rather anxious about investing as I'm convinced if I invest then I will be the cause of a bear market..
Old 12-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UkGP51 View Post

Thanks, surgery went well (I am no worse) and my pension letter arrived on 23rd December - great Christmas present!
My yearly pension is ok even with the £8000 removed so £96000 extra lump sum to play with. I'm wondering about paying the rental houses mortgages down before interest rates go up. This would reduce expenses. I'm rather anxious about investing as I'm convinced if I invest then I will be the cause of a bear market..
If you're ok after c-spine surgery, my guess is you won't be the cause of a bear market.
Best wishes,
MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:37 AM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
If you're ok after c-spine surgery, my guess is you won't be the cause of a bear market.
Best wishes,
MRG
I'm still sure I caused the bear market in the early 00's

Life is good. Just came back from a nine day cruise to Spain Casablanca and lanzarote. I went with my sister m+d and 2 of their friends. Super relaxing. I'm now 7+ weeks post op and doing ok. Unfortunately I am now realising just how much damage had already been caused to many of my day to day essential functions. Good news is everything is still just about working and hopefully I may become aware of improvements.

We paid off our own mortgage (left £4000 balance as its offset and could be used if we wanted cash on a whim for property etc until 2018). We also paid off the three houses on repayment mortgages as that saves us £1000 per month. We will keep the other mortgages on interest only and think of ways to chip away. We are getting an endowment pay out next month £40,000 or so and will use that to max out ISA's this year and next. We get another endowment maturing next year. My pension although over £10000 less than my husbands pay will give the same net income of around £3500 per month as no NI or superannuation payments.

I'm still pretty fatigued but much more chilled. Our income is a little above what we actually need so we will be able to invest and or pay down our rental mortgages until my husband retires in approx 5 years.

Many thanks to all at this fantastic forum I will continue to lurk for the wisdom it provides.

Tags
early retirement