Join Early Retirement Today

52 - Semi-demi Fire 4/30/2017
Old 12-14-2012, 05:11 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

52 - Semi-demi Fire 4/30/2017

Hola,
Very glad to have found this forum through the MMM blog.
DH and I are somewhat late to the FIRE party. Even though we violated three of the cardinal rules for early retirement (1) stick with the starter partner, 2) choose a high-earning career and 3) save like a Chicago voter - early and often, we are armed with the secret weapon of contentment without a lot of new and fancy stuff.
And I had a very good role model in my mother, who happily retired with husband #3 in her 50's, with the mantra, "It ain't what you have, it's what you have left over."
DH retired at the traditional age of 65ish six years ago; worked part-time two years and has been happily puttering since. And as an unabashed geezer-girl, I married an old guy so I can spend lots of time hanging out with him, not just evenings, weekends and the occasional vacation.
4/30/2017 is one annual bonus cycle after I am eligible to receive megacorp health bennies for life. IF I can hang on that long. It's not so much that I mind working but that there are so many more interesting things to do, especially in South Florida where we are surrounded by amazing flora and fauna.
I am not so much concerned with $$ though I am squirreling away as much as possible in my 401K, HSA and brokerage account. I became interested in finance the year before DH retired and after working through the maze of his pension, SS, 403B, etc. once, I feel comfortable that we can make it work.
Hanging on here at megacorp for another 909 work days is perhaps a different matter...I work with some pretty decent folks (many of them engineers ) but the leadership team in general and my immediate manager in particular are a nightmare of epic (but metric'd) proportions.
Keep me inspired, folks. I need it.
Carol
cgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2012, 05:48 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Have you considered/does mega offer a part-time option? The last few years that I worked I was at 80% and then 50% hours. As long as one was over 50% (1,040 hours a year) you were entitled to medical insurance like a full time employee and virtually everything else as pro rata (vacation time, pay, bonus, etc.). since I was FI at the time and didn't want to travel anymore it worked well for me (and for them).

It might make those 909 days go by quicker. Where I was any year where you had more than 1,040 hours was considred to be a year of service, but if the benes you are targeting are based on a combination of age and years of service you would want to see how they count years of service.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:36 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why is choosing a high earning career a violation of ER cardinal rules ?

Welcome to the forum, Carol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarden View Post
Hola,
Very glad to have found this forum through the MMM blog.
DH and I are somewhat late to the FIRE party. Even though we violated three of the cardinal rules for early retirement (1) stick with the starter partner, 2) choose a high-earning career and 3) save like a Chicago voter - early and often, we are armed with the secret weapon of contentment without a lot of new and fancy stuff.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

[QUOTE=obgyn65;1259149]Why is choosing a high earning career a violation of ER cardinal rules ?

obgyn, you caught a copy error - should be NOT choosing a high earning career.
Writing/copyediting is my medium earning career...DH is a retired medical research librarian. Interesting crafts that play to our strengths, prior post notwithstanding, but we could have paid a little more attention in Math.
cgarden is offline   Reply With Quote