Join Early Retirement Today

53/ 3mill and need a push-- first post
Old 01-03-2009, 04:33 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

53/ 3mill and need a push-- first post

Hi all. I am 52 well, 53 in a few weeks. Married no kids at home. Wife quit last year. I run a insurance agency that I sold 2 years ago. Been nervous about making the jump to ER. Have 3.2 mill net worth. zero debt/ mort. Been hanging around this forum for a while. The money doesn't worry me so much as the shift in lifestyle. The job is 52k and a ton of stress and plenty of 50 hour + workweeks. Seems to be not really worth the effort considering the returns. Anyone have advice considering my situation??
tozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2009, 06:26 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you still have 3.2 after he decline you are in great shape. You already sold your business, now its time to make a life style change. Quit work and try things out. You can always try going back to work if you want but you can afford to be picky. Why do something that stresses you out for little reward?
Old 01-03-2009, 07:39 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

read the book:
How to retire happy, wild and free
Old 01-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board!

Good idea of Dex's to read that book. Also go to the library or book store and see what other books there are about the nonfinancial concerns about retirement. What does your wife think about you retiring early--she also had a shift in lifestyle when she left the workforce, no?

Seems a shame to spend anytime now in a stressful job. You could go to a low-stress job (since it doesn't seem to matter how much it pays at this point) or perhaps go back to school in something you enjoy and wished you had studied before.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Gee thanks Al, I just turned 54.

Tozo, unless you are a big spender, you have it made.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:40 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Gee thanks Al, I just turned 54.
Al's 56 so he's feeling that he's home free...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Al's 56 so he's feeling that he's home free...
I thought "home free" was the PC way of saying "homeless". Guess Al took a really big hit from the market crash, eh?
Old 01-03-2009, 09:55 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Man, am I glad I'm older than 54. Sounds like a dangerous age.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:31 AM   #10

Hi tozo. Don't know how much of that net worth is in real estate or how much is spendable. You can figure it all out I'd assume.

Think of it this way, ER stress is (how am I going to live on 3mil) is far less lethal and a lot more fun than work stress.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:06 AM   #11

Tozo, I envy your financial position. 3.2m in a 5% CD equates to $150k /yr. Depending on where you live (cost of living) and your lifestyle, you are really in good shape financially. I retired when I was just shy of 52, That's too young to just sit around so you must have things to keep you active. I messed around in real estate for a number of years and then got a Community Association Managers license just to have something to do and keep my brain active. I was burned out at 52 and never regretted going ER. I survived it financially on about 1/3 of what you could be getting. Important thing is no debt. That was 20 years ago and have never looked back. Have a great time. Enjoy yourself, its later than you think. Those twenty years just flew by.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:25 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Pull the plug Bubba. A no brainer.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Tozo,

My initial advice is to take the jump to RE.

But maybe there are a few hurdles. Are you bound contractually to continue working for the agency you sold? I know of some business buyers that make the purchase price and payments subject to the former owner running the place for a few years making specified profits. Also, how liquid is the 3.2 mil? Do you have real estate or other business ownership value that should not be liquidated at this time?

If you are highly liquid with no contractual limitations to pulling the plug at the agency, I would do so. If not, I would iron out these issues and then pull the plug.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I second what Ronstar said. Obviously there may be obligations and constraints that we don't know. I am a little younger than you, single, lower NW and in your situation, based on the information provided, would feel very comfortable choosing ER. But only you can make that decision.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:30 PM   #15

If it makes you happy keep working Maybe you are the type of person who needs that stress to keep them chugging along.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Tozo, you sound like the perfect candidate for Bob Clyatt's book about early semi-retirement, Work Less, Live More.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd at least start slacking off a little - no way I'd work that hard with the value of your portfolio and the business already sold. Take a walk on the wild side and sleep in on Monday morning and just see what happens. You might really like it.
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:42 PM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Welcome ! I also was a little nervous about retirement . Would I be bored ? Would I be able to manage my portfolio ? Would I have social contacts ? Well I did retire and the answer is yes . It all worked out better than expected .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Tozo,

You are drawing your own conclusion: In terms of your finances, $52k per year means nothing compared to your net worth. If you loved your job and couldn't part with it for the world, great! But if that were true, you wouldn't have made this post.

It almost seems like you are working out of a sense of responsibility, perhaps to others? Keeping things going for others can be important. But the world will keep turning, and maybe they need a "push," too.

Best of luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozo View Post
Hi all. I am 52 well, 53 in a few weeks. Married no kids at home. Wife quit last year. I run a insurance agency that I sold 2 years ago. Been nervous about making the jump to ER. Have 3.2 mill net worth. zero debt/ mort. Been hanging around this forum for a while. The money doesn't worry me so much as the shift in lifestyle. The job is 52k and a ton of stress and plenty of 50 hour + workweeks. Seems to be not really worth the effort considering the returns. Anyone have advice considering my situation??
Grep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #20

Welcome Tozo. All the above are good advice. If you have 3.2m in investments that return income and/or grow in value, not including your living quarters, you are in great shape. I personally am targeting a SWR of about 3-3.3%, retiring by 50, but most would say that percentage is conservative, offering 4% as a good target. So, are your expenses (incl investment expenses and tributes to your uncle in Washington) less than 3.3% (or 4%, depending on your way of thinking) of your invested, cash generating assets? If so, you are ready financially, especially if the 3.2m is after the decline in stock values (remember to account for health insurance). Are you emotionally ready for the change? What will you do with your time? ...etc, etc are things only you can decide.

Another poster has mentioned contractual obligations resulting from the sale of your business. I will bring up a related and similar, but not the same, topic. If you have an earn-out (a payment contingent on the ongoing success of the business), you may want to stay a little longer and make sure it continues to work. The reason is that we don't know where the market (your investments) will be in the next months. I often give career related lectures, and the advice I am giving right now is that if you have a job, don't quit. Finding a new one may be next to impossible in the coming months. If you know you are ready, I'm sure you will be fine, but if there is any doubt in your mind, wait to resign until all of that doubt departs.

R