Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
54 plan to go at 62
Old 11-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe
X501's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hartford
Posts: 21
54 plan to go at 62

Hello all,
Have been reading postings for a while and learning quite a bit, great forum!

Found the reading recommendations very useful, also enjoyed John P. Greaney's site and his reading recommendations

Working LBYM towards being in good nestegg shape by 62, have over the last couple years worked up to saving 50% of gross salary

Current assets 100% in stock index funds and will luckily also have a pension from dear megacorp. I am viewing the pension as the bond portion of my total portfolio. Hoping to be able to delay SS to 70 for me, wife will take it at her full retirement age.

X501
__________________

__________________
X501
Ben Franklin fan
X501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 12,484
Welcome X501. Sounds like you are on your way.
__________________

travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
dex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by X501 View Post
Current assets 100% in stock index funds and will luckily also have a pension from dear megacorp. I am viewing the pension as the bond portion of my total portfolio.
What is the ratio of stock/bonds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X501 View Post
Hoping to be able to delay SS to 70 for me, wife will take it at her full retirement age.

X501
Why are you hoping for that? If you didn't do that would you be able to retire earlier than 62?
__________________
Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living. - Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's funeral
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:54 PM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe
X501's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hartford
Posts: 21
If I assume 4% of savings assets to convert to an annual payout, then stocks would be 66% and pension payment (bond substitute) would be 33%.

I am hoping to delay SS to 70 for two reasons, I to get a higher level of COLA'd payout which I view as quite valuable (pension is not COLAd) and to allow at a lower income level and therefore lower taxes, between 62 and 70 conversion of more of the 401K assets to ROTH before required minimum withdrawals are imposed. Of course if we see health issues coming up we will change course.
__________________
X501
Ben Franklin fan
X501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
dex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by X501 View Post
If I assume 4% of savings assets to convert to an annual payout, then stocks would be 66% and pension payment (bond substitute) would be 33%.

I am hoping to delay SS to 70 for two reasons, I to get a higher level of COLA'd payout which I view as quite valuable (pension is not COLAd) and to allow at a lower income level and therefore lower taxes, between 62 and 70 conversion of more of the 401K assets to ROTH before required minimum withdrawals are imposed. Of course if we see health issues coming up we will change course.
Welcome, it looks like you have thought it out and have a good plan.
__________________
Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living. - Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's funeral
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Update pulled the plug end of Nov 2019
Old 12-01-2019, 10:29 AM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe
X501's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hartford
Posts: 21
Update pulled the plug end of Nov 2019

Update. Took a bit longer than I projected but I have pulled the plug with a slight incentive push from Megacorp. Looking back at my original post I have reached the target I was shooting for, having enough assets to maintain the standard of living into retirement.
__________________
X501
Ben Franklin fan
X501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:37 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Rianne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Champaign
Posts: 3,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by X501 View Post
Update. Took a bit longer than I projected but I have pulled the plug with a slight incentive push from Megacorp. Looking back at my original post I have reached the target I was shooting for, having enough assets to maintain the standard of living into retirement.
Good for you! Congrats. I'm trying to teach my 22 yr. old niece to LBYM and follow a savings plan like yours. Keep up your posts and let us know how you're doing. Success is sweet!
__________________
"If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:29 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 6,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by X501 View Post
Update. Took a bit longer than I projected but I have pulled the plug with a slight incentive push from Megacorp. Looking back at my original post I have reached the target I was shooting for, having enough assets to maintain the standard of living into retirement.
Congrats. 9 year update impressive..
__________________
TGIM
Dtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:46 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 774
Congrats and thank you for the update!
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:32 AM   #10
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 1,070
I am currently 54 looking at 62 also, so this thread interested me. What sort of incentive push did your Megacorp offer ?

I work in the auto manufacturing supplier arena, and it appears that our company is spiraling downward with a few years to go, so also hoping for an early retirement offer.

Congrats on your success, and have a happy retirement.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:27 AM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe
X501's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hartford
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
I am currently 54 looking at 62 also, so this thread interested me. What sort of incentive push did your Megacorp offer ?

I work in the auto manufacturing supplier arena, and it appears that our company is spiraling downward with a few years to go, so also hoping for an early retirement offer.

Congrats on your success, and have a happy retirement.
It was a package with the biggest element being a payment based on years of service, one week's pay per year of service, that was enough for me to pull the trigger.
__________________
X501
Ben Franklin fan
X501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:03 PM   #12
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by X501 View Post
It was a package with the biggest element being a payment based on years of service, one week's pay per year of service, that was enough for me to pull the trigger.
Yea, at 25 years service for me, that would be half a year's pay....not bad, and it becomes the decision maker.
__________________

ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Safe car part of health plan and/or retirement plan Buckeye Health and Early Retirement 21 07-10-2016 02:58 PM
50 year plan, best way to plan kat FIRECalc support 22 01-01-2009 06:38 AM
Does your employer sponsored 401k plan utilize a third party plan advisor? Disappointed FIRE and Money 13 03-25-2008 03:12 AM
Stock Market Decline-Tests your beliefs - Have a plan and work the plan dex FIRE and Money 21 08-18-2007 01:24 PM
35 buckets plan, starting WR of 7.4% - punch holes in me plan citril FIRE and Money 35 03-10-2007 06:46 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:58 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×