54 wannabe Snowbird

MarcJoli

Dryer sheet wannabe
We are 54 and hoping to be FIRE at around 60 plus or minus, depending on savings.

Living in Minneapolis, we would love to spend 5-6 months in the sunbelt every winter and early spring.

We currently spend 10 days in the FL Keys each of the last few years, and we spend our timeshare points in the Big Island of Hawaii every two years.

We also go to pro hockey games and eat out 2-3 times a week. In early retirement we want to keep the same lifestyle level, except for being in warmer places. we don't want to be super frugal.

We are not boaters or fishermen, but we really love the beach and the pool deck.

We have not yet explored Texas or Arizona so would love to learn from you if that is your snowbird destination. Florida Keys or Ft Meyers area is on the short list.

We like Las Vegas and San Diego so those areas might also be an option.

My sister retired early in St Lucia so that might be fun for one winter.

I also was thinking of a slow AirBNB tour through US southeast from New Orleans all the way to Key West would be lots of fun one year.

Please share what is your snowbird destination and why you love it!

Arizona, Utah, and New Mexico for the landscapes and Native American art.

St Croix USVI. I love the fact that it is a quick easy flight, and it is a US territory. No island is cheap, but St Croix is much cheaper than Hawaii. We go down every February. Well, except this year. We are trying Aruba for a change.

St Croix USVI. I love the fact that it is a quick easy flight, and it is a US territory.

We have never been to St Croix yet but love USVI and BVI islands we have been to. When you go down, are you going for a quick winter vacation, or are you going for multiple months time? If longer, how do you handle finding decent accommodations.

I heard St Thomas rent costs would be similar to New York City. Yikes! I am trying to assess the costs and budget implications of spending a whole winter in such an amazing place.

We have never been to St Croix yet but love USVI and BVI islands we have been to. When you go down, are you going for a quick winter vacation, or are you going for multiple months time? If longer, how do you handle finding decent accommodations.

I heard St Thomas rent costs would be similar to New York City. Yikes! I am trying to assess the costs and budget implications of spending a whole winter in such an amazing place.

So far (6 trips) we have done a few things. Mostly Airbnb for 2-3 weeks. We now have friends there and have met people willing to rent us their condo's when they aren't there. We have also stayed with friends one time. We have paid as little at $400/wk and up to $250/night. Depends on what you are looking for. St Thomas is crazy and St John is too expensive. St Croix fits us well and is a place we could actually live. We have gone to community theater there and the agricultural fair. DW still works so we won't go longer than 2-3 weeks until she retires. Quick 3 hour flight from the east coast.

Tucson. Going to be in the upper 70's this week. One hour to Nogales, Mexico, 3.5 hours to the beach in Puerto Penasco, MX. 6 hours to San Diego. Tucson Roadrunners hockey

Im a mountain person, not a beach person. And I like hiking. So I chose Arizona instead of Florida. Had a townhouse in Scottsdale for 17 years, sold it in 2019. Spent 3 or 4 months a year there for several years. Got tired of having 2 homes. Now just visit friends in Az a week or 2 in the winter.

Tucson. Going to be in the upper 70's this week. One hour to Nogales, Mexico, 3.5 hours to the beach in Puerto Penasco, MX. 6 hours to San Diego. Tucson Roadrunners hockey

Sounds pretty awesome. We need to explore that southern AZ area. Have only been to Flagstaff and Sedona. Did a Route 66 road trip and loved all of it.

We have not been to Mexico much. Forgive my ignorance but how comfortable and safe is it for a couple of gringos to travel by car to the areas south and west of Tucson?

Sounds pretty awesome. We need to explore that southern AZ area. Have only been to Flagstaff and Sedona. Did a Route 66 road trip and loved all of it.

We have not been to Mexico much. Forgive my ignorance but how comfortable and safe is it for a couple of gringos to travel by car to the areas south and west of Tucson?

We have done numerous road trips to San Carlos, Algodones, and Puerto Penasco (AKA Rocky Point) over the years. Never had a problem; travel during daylight hours, don't flash expensive jewelry or cash, be respectful and Rule 1: don't do stupid things with stupid people in stupid places at stupid times of the night

I suggest you look into San Clemente, CA.

It's a great little beach/surfing town, an hour from both SD and LA and all they offer (2 NHL teams too). Population is approx 60k. The downtown is right-sized and bustles with tap rooms, hip clothing boutiques, surf stores, and restaurants. The main drag leads down to a lovely pier and beach trail, and Amtrak. It's not perfect, but it is damn close.

I left MN nearly 38 years ago, and have lived in SC 29 years. Any questions, let me know.

In the beginning of our snowbirding journey we would probably prefer to rent for 5-6 months rather than buying anything. We like the idea of a 55+ community, HOA, gated community, or even an RV park with park models that could be rented. Making like-minded friends is high on the priority list for our winter home.

Does San Clamente have any communities like this popular with snowbirds?

we also live in mpls. we do not want to own 2 homes. we have gone to florida. love the beaches and warmth in the winter. not crazy about the humidity or the bugs, etc. we rent a home for jan-march in AZ. love the warm weather. enjoy the hiking in the mountains and the desert landscape. we are in a 55+ community with lots of activities and friendly people. do not miss the snow and below 0 temps.

In the beginning of our snowbirding journey we would probably prefer to rent for 5-6 months rather than buying anything. We like the idea of a 55+ community, HOA, gated community, or even an RV park with park models that could be rented. Making like-minded friends is high on the priority list for our winter home.

Does San Clamente have any communities like this popular with snowbirds?

There is one new 55+ place that just opened (not sure on lease length), and I am sure there are many seasonal condo rentals with secured entry. No RV parks. Any management company could probably aid your search.

City boy originally from Chicago many years back, sister still has a condo there but she has a 2nd place in Cottonwod AZ, 6 mo each place. Works for her I am in SOCAL (Pasadena) many years, love the winters here. The CA coast can get expensive but it is wonderful if you are a beach person. San Diego county has a lot of nice places, urban, rural, beach, mountains & desert. IMHO better to go to something than away from something, what kind of things do you like? I need a city, so much to do. BIL lived in San Clemente, now owns a top of a hill estate (technically a farm) near Oceanside, he loves it, too remote for me

I need a city, so much to do. BIL lived in San Clemente, now owns a top of a hill estate (technically a farm) near Oceanside, he loves it, too remote for me

Too remote from what? San Diego is less than an hour away. Irvine is less than an hour away. The beach is right there. You could make friends with the Marines on Camp Pendelton and hike Mt Mother F%&*#r.

On a serious note, the only drawback I see in SoCal is the prices. Sold our Poway house 6 years ago for $600k. It goes for over 1 mil now. 4/2 1900sq ft. Nothing special. DS still lives in San Diego. North Park. $3200/mo for a 2/1 small, old house.

Too remote from what? San Diego is less than an hour away. Irvine is less than an hour away. The beach is right there. You could make friends with the Marines on Camp Pendelton and hike Mt Mother F%&*#r.

I want to walk to things, which I can actually do where I live, could live without a car if i wanted/needed to do. I could live in downtown Chicago, NYC, SF, downtown LA too these days with the metro. There are 100 restaurants in a 6 square block area in downtown Pasadena.

I want to walk to things, which I can actually do where I live, could live without a car if i wanted/needed to do. I could live in downtown Chicago, NYC, SF, downtown LA too these days with the metro. There are 100 restaurants in a 6 square block area in downtown Pasadena.

Gotcha. So yes, a ranch on a hilltop in southern Cal is not walkable to many places but I wouldn't call it "remote". Thanks for clarifying.

We spend mid-Apr to mid-Dec in Wisconsin and mid-Dec to mid-Apr in Key Largo, FL each year. We rent the same home in Key Largo. We initially found the home through VRBO but after the 1st year, we started renting directly with the owner, saving us both VRBO fees. The home is in a nice quiet neighborhood that has an HOA with a private beach and private marina.

We love the Keys but it is not for everyone. You can count on warm weather during the winter months and it's hard to beat the water access to the gulf and ocean. However, beautiful beaches and golfing are limited compared to the east and west coasts of Florida.

Back
Top Bottom