58 yr old needs your sage advice

I own an average home in an average neighborhood in SoCal 20 minutes inland from the beach. Value 800k. I can't think of a single beach location in SoCal that is under 700 k. Condo maybe, but those come with really high fees. Are you underestimating the cost of this move?

My mom lives in a gated community 2 blocks from the beach in San Clemente house is worth at least 2 million. So Cal beach is very expensive. I don't see how even working 5 to 7 years 3 days a week is going to get a comfortable retirement here. Where is this hidden gem you are dreaming of?

My mom lives in a gated community 2 blocks from the beach in San Clemente house is worth at least 2 million. So Cal beach is very expensive. I don't see how even working 5 to 7 years 3 days a week is going to get a comfortable retirement here. Where is this hidden gem you are dreaming of?

No hidden gem.....we do like San Diego County

Besides the house, how much $ do you think a person needs saved for living costs and healthcare beyond $60k/yr pension/SS income? That is a big question

Besides the house, how much $ do you think a person needs saved for living costs and healthcare beyond $60k/yr pension/SS income? That is a big question

San Diego is beautiful, but expensive. You might look at Oceanside and Escondido as places that are on the lower cost side real estate wise. We’ve found the area less expensive than we expected, outside of housing, but we were moving from the Bay Area. Just depends on where you are coming from. Power is very expensive here, so if you live inland where you’ll want ac factor that in. Property and state taxes are expensive. If you’re moving within CA you may be able to use the over 55 tax transfer.

You should go on ca healthcare site to estimate HC costs. With subsidies it can be cheap. You can find property tax rates online as well. All of this info is out there but you need to sit down, do the work, and put together a realistic budget. Once you have that pulled together people will give you feedback on anything that’s missing or seems unrealistic.

There are many people here living on fixed incomes and they do ok, but usually they have a paid off house they’ve been living in forever so their property taxes are low.

Well I don't think you will get anywhere near the beach unless a 20 to 30 minute drive is near the beach.

Property taxes are a little more than 1%. Plan on close to 2k in HOI. Those 2 items alone will be close to 15% of your budget.

Have you given Leisure World a thought in Laguna Woods? They have cheaper options in housing. It's a over 55 community in Orange County. You may be able to get a place (small) that is close to your house you have now. Not sure if that fits your view of retirement though.

In my opinion 60 k is tight. If you had no house payment , no taxes, and no healthcare costs maybe. Bottom line is housing is the largest variable you will have control over. A 400 to 500k mortgage is not going to be feasible on 60k income.

Just a thought, but if beach is the piece you’re trying to solve for you might look at alternatives like Florida or even Mexico/Latin America if you’re game.

You ask lots of questions, but never really give any details.This was actually your first question and yet you haven't really answered any of the detailed questions we have asked, some of these questions have been asked several times. I guess you want to ignore the questions and yet still expect useful answers.

If you want to guard your privacy fine but don't expect much useful information....At least two people have asked what you expect to happen when one person dies and your annual income is lowered.

We live in Nevada with a much lower COL. Our mortgage is 400. We spend 60k not counting our big trips.

... Our yearly expenses are $45-50k not including heath ins
Including cost of replacing cars, unexpected car maintenance, replacing dead or dying appliances? Pretty much every year we have something we can call an "unusual" expense, but the only thing unusual about it is that it is something different every year. Other than that, it is "usual."

Hello. I am a first time poster who has learned a lot from you wonderful folks. I realize I could retire now in our current house or one close in the same value, however we wanted to move to a particular beach town where we vacation each year. However, to move there I would need to work several more years.

DW & I both 58 yr old
$675,000 (50% S & P 500, 50% CD's and $ Market)
pension will be $30k/yr
house $275K (own it)

I am willing to go back into practice (physician) for several years to fund difference in housing/taxes for a home near beach. Houses cost $675k and up

Our yearly expenses are $45-50k not including heath ins

Edited my post -- and saw my answers in other posts.... I think you should forget So California entirely... I would not go there unless I had $5 Million Net worth... Then you could afford the Average House, a couple miles from the beach, Health Insurance, taxes, Cars etc.

So, if you want to retire, the cheapest option is to probably stay where you're at.... Where do you currently live?

Last edited:
I’m currently on a lake, not a beach. While I totally love all that comes with oceanfront locations (smell, breezes, sound of waves, etc), I think it’s the presence of water that’s the real difference. It’s so calming and pleasant to view.

The MM forum doesn’t think you have enough money either.

You ask lots of questions, but never really give any details.This was actually your first question and yet you haven't really answered any of the detailed questions we have asked, some of these questions have been asked several times. I guess you want to ignore the questions and yet still expect useful answers.

If you want to guard your privacy fine but don't expect much useful information....At least two people have asked what you expect to happen when one person dies and your annual income is lowered.

The pension will stays the same (joint surviorship), but we'd lose the lower SS of $1200/mn.

Beach towns in So Cal are expensive, even a several miles away from the ocean

Big question- would you retire or work 5-7 yrs to have a significantly more affluent retirement?

The pension will stays the same (joint surviorship), but we'd lose the lower SS of $1200/mn.

Beach towns in So Cal are expensive, even a several miles away from the ocean

Big question- would you retire or work 5-7 yrs to have a significantly more affluent retirement?

Based on your reticence to share info just go ahead and keep on working, it doesn't matter to me...

In my opinion, 675K doesn't appear enough to retire. In addition to the 23% SS cut that will likely occur in 2034, you should also consider a 15% cut in your retirement balance over the next 2 years, due to a down stock market. California pensions are currently only 70% funded, so I would factor in a 15% pension cut. Rerun your retirement plan with these reduced numbers.

In my opinion, 675K doesn't appear enough to retire. In addition to the 23% SS cut that will likely occur in 2034, you should also consider a 15% cut in your retirement balance over the next 2 years, due to a down stock market. California pensions are currently only 70% funded, so I would factor in a 15% pension cut. Rerun your retirement plan with these reduced numbers.

He doesn't actually have a plan run which is the number one problem...he's pretty much "what ifing" everything.

Based on your reticence to share info just go ahead and keep on working, it doesn't matter to me...

I just read the entire thread, and to my understanding the OP answered pretty much all the questions asked, to give a good estimate of his retirement prospects. What piece of info were you looking for?

IMHO, the OP should forget the So Cal Beach Entirely, working more or Not.... In fact, I think he's cutting retirement pretty close to where he is currently living, and I would not recommend it.
I would not want to retire in So California, with less than a $5 Million Net Worth....

Last edited:
In addition to the 23% SS cut that will likely occur in 2034,

If you know anything about how our Federal Government works, this is NOT likely in the least.... Our government has not paid for the Debts rang up during the early 1980s yet, so worrying about an 'unfunded liability' that may occur 15 years down the road, is only used for 'political fodder' rather than serious budget discussions at this point.

I just read the entire thread, and to my understanding the OP answered pretty much all the questions asked, to give a good estimate of his retirement prospects. What piece of info were you looking for?

IMHO, the OP should forget the So Cal Beach Entirely, working more or Not.... In fact, I think he's cutting retirement pretty close to where he is currently living, and I would not recommend it.

I would not want to retire in So California, with less than a $5 Million Net Worth....

He didn't really answer questions about his real life expenses, how long he had been tracking those expenses. He didn't say what he's budgeted for HI which is a big one. The surviving spouse will have almost a 15K reduction in annual SS, how will that shortfall be accounted for? Income will go from 60 to about 45K what if there in not enough nest egg left to supplement a reasonable lifestyle? You don't need an answer to everyone of these questions, but not having answers to any of them indicates lack of proper planning.

And since he works part time and doesn't have a lot of savings he hasn't really explained how he thinks another few year of work will net him enough money to upgrade his housing debt by another 400K.. He's worked all these year and has 675K, where is this big influx of cash going to come from?

Looks to me like he's still in the dreaming stage, which is fine but to actually make things happen requires a little more digging.

He didn't really answer questions about his real life expenses, how long he had been tracking those expenses. He didn't say what he's budgeted for HI which is a big one. The surviving spouse will have almost a 15K reduction in annual SS, how will that shortfall be accounted for? Income will go from 60 to about 45K what if there in not enough nest egg left to supplement a reasonable lifestyle? You don't need an answer to everyone of these questions, but not having answers to any of them indicates lack of proper planning.

Well, I agree about not having proper planning, but with the numbers he's provided, I have no trouble giving him an answer. You need slack in every retirement budget, whether it is for loss of a spouse or any other unforeseen event. He has no slack where he is currently living for retirement. And certainly moving to So Cal, is just not going to happen in his lifetime IMNSHO.

+1... seems that you do not answer anybody's questions and just keep asking the same question...

So yes, I would like you to work another 7 years so you will have enough where ever your retire...

Well, I agree about not having proper planning, but with the numbers he's provided, I have no trouble giving him an answer. You need slack in every retirement budget, whether it is for loss of a spouse or any other unforeseen event. He has no slack where he is currently living for retirement. And certainly moving to So Cal, is just not going to happen in his lifetime IMNSHO.

On that we agree which is why I said he could keep on working. Now perhaps he has an inheritance coming or large life insurance policies on him and his partner absent those details..it's not going to happen for them.

We do not live in a HCOL area and could not live on 45 or 60k a year so do not see how he does it. Nope, needs to buckle down and work and save.

That would depend on my current age, and what I wanted to do in retirement. If I were 58, and wanted to do a lot of travel, and physically demanding activities such as backpacking, hiking, sailing, scuba diving, etc., I'd personally retire sooner than later, forgoing the more affluent retirement (assuming I had enough to maintain the minimum lifestyle I desired).

For example: I've been calculating the number of dive trips my wife and I can do annually, based on different retirement asset amounts. I figured out if I worked from 50 to 53, I could double the number of annual dive trips from two to four. I figured that working 3 more years, not including 12 weeks of vacation, was worth it, as by 53, I should still have a decade of ability to do extensive diving, or so. At 58, the answer would be different.

You're asking whether a more affluent lifestyle is worth working longer, but for you, this is not the right question, IMHO. At your asset level, the question is, "Do I have enough to maintain my current lifestyle?" Most here, don't think you do. If I were you, I'd work longer to add some cushion to your future budgets.

Last edited:
I am very appreciative to all who have responded thus far....wonderful insights, info & opinions

Back
Top Bottom