Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-07-2010, 09:06 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Health considerations are part of my decision to ER next week. This past weekend, a close friend told me that he has severe arthritis of the hip (his 54 yrs old!). He can barely walk. He never saw it coming. I'm 54 and as I get older I hear more and more stories like this. I'm getting out while I am still relatively healthy.
martyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:50 AM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
I was in a similar situation at my job before I retired. Things went south about 4 years prior. I know that the stress of the situation took a toll on my physically and mentally. Unfortunately, I was awaiting a pension and had little choice in when I could leave.

During that same time I had a severe case of Diverticulitis. I almost had to have emergency surgery and if I would have waited another day it is likely I would not be writing this. I had part of my colon removed a couple of months later to ensure such a thing would never happen again. I am retired now at 44.

Two years ago, almost to the day, I saw a friend and coworker for the last time. He thought he had the flu. It wasn't, he had an infection and by the time he went to the hospital it was too late. It ravaged his heart and he died. He was 47.

Tomorrow is not guaranteed. Life is too short to spend any of it doing things that do not make us happy. Sometimes it is unavoidable. Sometimes we do it to ourselves. If you are FI, retire. Too me its a no brainer. Leave that job while you and your wife are still young and healthy enough to enjoy yourselves and each other. Everyday you spend at the job you dislike is a day your are missing out on doing something you enjoy and spending it with someone you love.

Retirement isn't just about financial calculations. Money is nice, and some money is essential to being FI, but it's not the only consideration.
Could not agree more. This is 100% how I feel and think about life EVERY SINGLE DAY. Funny that the issue of death came up. One of my professors and a chair on my thesis commitee died yesterday at 42. He was diagnosed with brain cancer last September and (long story short) he felt that because he was young that he would survive it. Well, 15 months later he's dead.

I make it a point to exercise 5 days and week, mainatin a healthy diet, and get as much sleep as I can. Because I REFUSE to end up a statistic.
Todd-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-O View Post
Because I REFUSE to end up a statistic.
I understand your point and agree with you, but no matter what you will end up as a statistic. Timing is the only unknown.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:06 AM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I understand your point and agree with you, but no matter what you will end up as a statistic. Timing is the only unknown.
Yeah, I meant early statistic.
Todd-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #25

Personally, I don't really have an option besides waiting till my 55th birthday (2 yrs 1 month, 9 days), due to having to meet the years/age requirements for my pension, but you better believe that I'll be retired before noon on that day! That way, every year on my birthday, I can also celebrate my re-birth day!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

That's not how it works. 99 weeks max benefits ( in most states).

Most states have 26 weeks of unemployment benefits, with the Feds picking up the other 73 weeks. The extension that they're proposing will keep the additional 73 weeks of benefits in place for 13 more months.

So, If your friends have used 96 weeks of unemployment benefits, they've only got 3 more weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I have friends that have been milking unemployment for a few years now. Looks to me like the Dems and Reps will make a deal and extend unemployment for another year. That will bring it to 3 years with no end in sight. Pretty good pension if you can get it.
goodguy1_64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:02 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Me too, that will always strike me as one of life's great ironies. When I got my first job after college making $1275/month, I couldn't figure out how I was going to spend it all after living on about $300/month in college. I can't say I am happier now...

so VERY true!
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

UPDATE: Well, I guess I am retired. As I said earlier I've been thinking of ER since last summer. I hated my place of employment. The boss and I didn't see eye to eye. There were a couple of projects I wanted to finish with success before leaving. I accomplished that, but in the end I was let go. I guess this was better than quiting, for I am now receiving unemployment.

But I'm still looking for a job. (I have to according to keep my unemployment payments, but I'd be looking anyway.)

I found health insurance for me and my family.. Cheaper than I calculated for. In fact, I keep doing retirement calculations for different scenarios. It all seems to work out. In fact this week I bought a travel trailer with no financing. Perhaps, I should consider myself semi-retired.
Archman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:28 AM   #29

Looks to me like another case of "blessing in disguise".
Your bad boss saved you from the pre-ER uncertainties and unemployment will allow you to slowly glide into the retirement mood.
So:
ENJOY your family, the trailer and your free time!
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:01 AM   #30

Thank you for the update, Archman.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #31

Congrats Archman.

Enjoy! View unemployment as a "gift" for your retirement ;-)
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Archman,

I am most happy for you!!!! ENJOY!
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome to the forum. I will be 59 in a few months and presently I am semi retired. I now only work 19 hours a week and have been cutting my hours for the past 5 years. Perhaps you can find something P/T if you are not ready for full retirement.
Good luck!
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote