Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-08-2014, 07:20 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I am now proud to say that I am retired and not ashamed at all!
Dcharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I am using independently wealthy. It is true, at some level and in some sense for all of us on this board, who have retired is it not. After all weathly does not imply a specific measure, it is in the eye of the beholder.

Besides I like the idea.
But those whom the Truth would indict."

Robert Burns
poorcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:47 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorcarver View Post
I am using independently wealthy. It is true, at some level and in some sense for all of us on this board, who have retired is it not. After all weathly does not imply a specific measure, it is in the eye of the beholder.

Besides I like the idea.
The less you desire, the wealthier you are.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Funny, I retired at 50 and others say...so what does your DH do? I say he is retiring in June at 56. Don't much care what they think or say anymore. I volunteer a lot and keep very busy doing what I wanna do. Congrats on your retirement.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:54 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empresario View Post
I'll get through it... I like semi-retired. Consultant sounds a little like I lost my job.
Now that made me laugh! When my daughter recently took a new job with higher pay, she went from the title of 'manager' to 'consultant.' I was so confused! I kept asking her, "So you are full time and you get benefits, right?"

Welcome! I went through same with regard to what to call myself once I'd retired from my former job title. It took me about a year to grow into my new title of 'retired.'
RetiredAndFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorcarver View Post

Besides I like the idea.
You actually say to people, "Ï am independently wealthy"? Holy Moly.

Ha
Old 03-12-2014, 03:58 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Just tell them you are opening a grass roots incubator, then run while they still have that confused look on their face.
Newventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:02 PM   #28

I've gravitated to "professional volunteer". Until recently, it was "occasional consultant but mostly professional volunteer". Then I had a serious "come to Jesus" meeting with myself a few weeks ago and realized that the need for me to call myself a consultant stemmed from resentment over some aspects of my (former) career and that I needed to let that all go and just appreciate the fact that I am FI and RE. I do, however, keep a pretty heavy volunteer schedule with several different organizations. While I was writing this post, I was called to serve dinner to the homeless tomorrow night at a downtown church where I occasionally volunteer - they are short handed for spring break. So I guess "actively retired" fits me as well.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:20 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

I retired at 61 also, and I happily tell people I am retired and loving it, whenever it comes up in conversations. It's surprising how many of THEM are retired, too. I never would have guessed that so many people were retired.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:39 AM   #30
gone traveling

If Consultant sounds too much like unemployed, try Sr Consultant
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:07 AM   #31

American Idle?
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:40 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
American Idle?
+1
Big smile when I saw this!!! Sounds great to me! We can all compete to see who is the Greatest American Idle! Maybe there should be an awards show?