61 and "Actively" Retired

I am using independently wealthy. It is true, at some level and in some sense for all of us on this board, who have retired is it not. After all weathly does not imply a specific measure, it is in the eye of the beholder.

Besides I like the idea.
You actually say to people, "Ï am independently wealthy"? Holy Moly.

Ha

Just tell them you are opening a grass roots incubator, then run while they still have that confused look on their face.

I've gravitated to "professional volunteer". Until recently, it was "occasional consultant but mostly professional volunteer". Then I had a serious "come to Jesus" meeting with myself a few weeks ago and realized that the need for me to call myself a consultant stemmed from resentment over some aspects of my (former) career and that I needed to let that all go and just appreciate the fact that I am FI and RE. I do, however, keep a pretty heavy volunteer schedule with several different organizations. While I was writing this post, I was called to serve dinner to the homeless tomorrow night at a downtown church where I occasionally volunteer - they are short handed for spring break. So I guess "actively retired" fits me as well.

Last edited:
I retired at 61 also, and I happily tell people I am retired and loving it, whenever it comes up in conversations. It's surprising how many of THEM are retired, too. I never would have guessed that so many people were retired.

If Consultant sounds too much like unemployed, try Sr Consultant;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom