6o Years Old and Just Retired

Cherryrose

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi guys. I have worked for the local school district for 22 years and retired Friday, June 10th. :) I am planning on playing/working in my greenhouse as soon as I get it. I will also take guitar lessons, learn sign language, take a more active roll in my ministry, write, and crochet. I have been told that I need to keep busy so I don't become a couch potato. I am signing up for Social Security Disability at the request of my doctors. I have physical, mental and emotional issues. It's hard to say how long that will take. My income from PERS will be very low, so I may be looking for supplementary income. If you have any ideas let me know.

My girlfriend just received her approval for Social Security Disability a couple of months ago. I think that the whole process from initial application to approval took about 8 or 9 months. Her application was randomly selected for a quality review at the end, so I think this added an extra month.

Welcome to the Forum and good luck with Social Security.

Welcome. Not many bored people here - so don't worry!

Congratulations on your retirement, Cherryrose! I hope you post often and tell us about all the fun you are having! (I LOVE reading about how folks are enjoying retirement - and they all do on this forum).

One year away for me - DH just joined the retired ranks a week ago. Both of us are/were school employees.

Hi guys. I have worked for the local school district for 22 years and retired Friday, June 10th. :) I am planning on playing/working in my greenhouse as soon as I get it. I will also take guitar lessons, learn sign language, take a more active roll in my ministry, write, and crochet. I have been told that I need to keep busy so I don't become a couch potato. I am signing up for Social Security Disability at the request of my doctors. I have physical, mental and emotional issues. It's hard to say how long that will take. My income from PERS will be very low, so I may be looking for supplementary income. If you have any ideas let me know.

Hi Cherryrose, and welcome to the Early Retirement Forum. Before I retired I had a list of things I wanted to do after retirement, like you, but since I retired honestly I haven't really done many of the activities on my list. They are still there for me, in case I get bored (haven't yet). I go to the gym to keep physically active and fit, and that seems to ward off any "couch potato" issues and most of all, I enjoy working out. Each of us seems to combat these issues in our own individual ways, though. Sorry to hear that you are disabled and I hope your application for disability moves forward smoothly.

Thanks for the welcome guys. I won't be having too much fun for the next couple of weeks as I am having arthroscopic surgery on my left knee on Friday the 17th. I had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee in 2006 and ended up having a total knee replacement a few months later. I hope the same thing doesn't happen to my left knee.

I am planning on getting my greenhouse in July sometime. I guess I can still write and crochet until then. I have a 4 month old grandson and am making a onesie for him.

As I am sure you know, Social Security almost automatically denies SSDI applications on the first go-round, and you then have to appeal. With that in mind, you may want to consider researching law firms that specialize in Social Security Disability - there are quite a few of these across the country.
My job has me peripherally involved with SSDI, and I know of a firm if you need a name [note: I have absolutely no interest, financial or otherwise, in the firm].

Welcome Cherryrose! I'd love to hear about the greenhouse you're planning to get and they kind of plants you want to grow. Good luck with the SSDI - hope it doesn't end up being a big hassle.

I am signing up for Social Security Disability at the request of my doctors.
Quite unusual - for a person who gets financial direction from doctors, and considers themselves "retired" (paint me "confused"). SSD is a program for those that wish to be employed (not retired) and are unable to hold a job due to their respective disability.

Send me a PM if you wish to discuss without being on a public forum.

BTW, my son is drawing SSD (a long process, and a long struggle), so I'm well aware of the program, and the documentation you need to have a successful claim.

In your case? Something's missing from the background given...

How do I send a private message? Do I just use the thanks button?
Click on the user name (left hand side of the screen) and select "send a message" or "email" to the account.

BTW, the admin's are aware of my (and my disabled son's) situation (Martha), so I'm not trying to "scam" you at all. I'm willing to help you out, if I can. It's just that your post seems a bit confusing upon my original read.

Back
Top Bottom