8 years out, hopefully

Spudd

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm new here, but I've already posted in a couple of threads, so I thought I should introduce myself.

I'm 40, female, living in Toronto, Canada. I work for Megacorp (15 years in). Husband is self-employed after quitting Megacorp about 10 years ago and following his dreams.

A palm reader told me a few years ago that my career would go well until I'm 48. Incidentally, that's the same year I'll become eligible for an early retirement layoff package. So it seems like as good a goal as any.

We manage to save about 20% of our gross income. If I were to get laid off tomorrow, I think we could sell our house and move to a smaller town, and still be able to get by - but it would be dicey. 8 years from now should be a much safer bet, and if I *can* get laid off, I'd get to keep my benefits, which is a nice thing to have. In Canada it's not as critical as the US, but still. Hoping to have the mortgage paid off in 3 years and then we can really focus on the retirement savings.

Welcome to the site, there's much to learn here.

Haha, no, it's just a funny coincidence. To be honest I'm really hoping I can retire earlier than that, but I don't know if that would be wise, so for now this is the tentative plan.

Welcome. I hope the palm reader's prediction is not playing a major role in your retirement decision.

But you know, it gives a good feeling and positive thinking can move mountains.:dance:
I'd say believe it and it will come true...upbeat attitude always helps.

Back
Top Bottom