857 days!

bobfnbw

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hi there group. 857 days till I retire at 62! Would have liked to do it earlier, but messed up my plan and had to start over. Plan it to buy a sailboat, refit it, and sail off for parts unknown. Wife is 4 years younger and might be waiting a few more years till she takes the plunge. As a teacher, she could teach online and make that work. We will see. Finances will be sufficient with SS. Will have some questions that I hope the group will help answer as the time gets closer.
Worked since 13, and really can't wait till I am my own pathmaker.

Well, howdy Bob(fnbw) and welcome.

Congrats on getting to the finish line.

I had a paper route at 10, an after school job at 13, and pretty much worked from 10 to 60 (when I pulled the plug). Yeah, 50 years is enuff.

Hi Bob, and welcome. Lots of info here that will help you pressure test your current plan.

I have somewhere between zero and 796 days to go. I apparently have a mild case of TMY (two more years) syndrome, and hope it is not contagious.

There is a class of 2020 thread you may want to join, for people planning to retire around the same time as you.

Cool to know there is a lively bunch to help ease into it.
Yes 50 years is enough!
The other day my wife tried to talk me into working until 65.... says there is a study out there now that says people that retire early die early. And of course there have been times when I worked out the numbers if I stayed till 63 or 65.... and while its tempting money wise, I know the older I get the more I am stiff and hurt.... and will just have to be content with what I will have.
I expect I can live quite comfortably with SS plus a few hundred from my retirement account. Maybe less.
One question is... there are a lot of abbreviations used on this website. any link to what they all mean? Like FIRE and ER (which I get is Early Retirement) but there are others...
Thanks,
Bob

Chicken or egg

The other day my wife tried to talk me into working until 65.... says there is a study out there now that says people that retire early die early.

The ones I've read suggest some correlation, but they don't include sufficient rigor to determine which is the independent variable, retirement or death.

It's more plausible mechanistically that people who are prone to dying early exhibit health issues which make it more difficult to work during their final years. If you ER in good health at around 60 or so, statistically you are likely to stick around for another two-plus decades.

messed up my plan and had to start over

"Messed up your plan"? Don't worry about it. I did too. We all make mistakes. As long as we learn from them and make fewer next time we'll be OK. I won't be going out as early as a lot of folks on this board, but it will be sooner than 65. I consider that a victory.

Besides, it's not a race. If you go out on an acceptable timeline in an acceptable level of comfort, you win. Good luck!

You are going to sail off into the sunset without your wife? ;-)

If there will be hard feelings, can you sync up so you retire together? It isn't really retiring if she is still working. (my opinion) You are a stay at home dad with no school age kids.

Congrats.

If there will be hard feelings, can you sync up so you retire together? It isn't really retiring if she is still working. (my opinion) You are a stay at home dad with no school age kids.

I'm retiring without my husband. if he wants to keep working that's okay with me- less pressure on the portfolio and I get the house all to myself.:)

I have 767 days on my calendar. Welcome to the club!

Congrats.

Unfortunately that's the price of marrying a younger women... I know she wants me to work for more years to "catch up" but I am unwilling. And since I do not want to be a stay at home husband, I must go meet my dreams. But as a teacher, she will be free to come visit often. And perhaps, if I am lucky, she can teach online and then its a moot point. Kids will be grown and gone (hopefully !).

I'm retiring without my husband. if he wants to keep working that's okay with me- less pressure on the portfolio and I get the house all to myself.:)

I have 767 days on my calendar. Welcome to the club!
Thanks... wife brought me a retirement countdown calculator that I have on my locker at work, and frequently announce to my co workers how many days till im gone. Its getting bad at my workplace, and 850 days or so seems to much. But I am committed to waiting till my son graduates from High school the same month I retire.

The ones I've read suggest some correlation, but they don't include sufficient rigor to determine which is the independent variable, retirement or death.
It's more plausible mechanistically that people who are prone to dying early exhibit health issues which make it more difficult to work during their final years. If you ER in good health at around 60 or so, statistically you are likely to stick around for another two-plus decades.
"Messed up your plan"? Don't worry about it. I did too. We all make mistakes. As long as we learn from them and make fewer next time we'll be OK. I won't be going out as early as a lot of folks on this board, but it will be sooner than 65. I consider that a victory.
Besides, it's not a race. If you go out on an acceptable timeline in an acceptable level of comfort, you win. Good luck!

All true. I believe that people without a plan, will have issues with retirement. Many people equate their jobs as themselves, and without it are lost. I have seen it many times. But its also the people that don't take care of themselves, who drink or smoke themselves into the dirt that don't make it much. A co-worker waited until he had medicare, retired at 65 and was dead before he turned 66. Never used it. Never did much from what I saw.
I want 10 good years but will easily take 20. After that the worms can have me.

The other day my wife tried to talk me into working until 65.... says there is a study out there now that says people that retire early die early.

So let me get this straight, I can live longer by working longer, but then I die fewer years after retiring? I'd rather die at 75 having retired at 50 (25 'good' years in retirement) than die at 90 having worked until 67 (23 mediocre years in retirement). You all can win the race to the retirement home...I'm hoping to fall over dead before reaching the finish line.

So let me get this straight, I can live longer by working longer, but then I die fewer years after retiring? I'd rather die at 75 having retired at 50 (25 'good' years in retirement) than die at 90 having worked until 67 (23 mediocre years in retirement). You all can win the race to the retirement home...I'm hoping to fall over dead before reaching the finish line.
Well said. Perhaps we can have our cake and eat it.:D

Congrats bobfnbw. Sounds like an admirable plan and hope you get to fulfill your dream.

Best to you,

VW

I've mentioned this a few times: when I was 60 I ran into an older guy who told me : " 60? You need to realize that even if you live to be 90 you've only got 15 or 18 good years left ahead of you...then things start going downhill on you. enjoy every minute. "

Hi there group. 857 days till I retire at 62! Would have liked to do it earlier, but messed up my plan and had to start over. Plan it to buy a sailboat, refit it, and sail off for parts unknown. Wife is 4 years younger and might be waiting a few more years till she takes the plunge. As a teacher, she could teach online and make that work. We will see. Finances will be sufficient with SS. Will have some questions that I hope the group will help answer as the time gets closer.
Worked since 13, and really can't wait till I am my own pathmaker.

Congrats and it will move quickly for you. As a of today I am at 588 days minus vacation days, sick days, and of course holidays which leave about 400 days give or take :) My wife is 6 years older and will retire next April at 66, so I will need to wait until Jan 2020 at 59.5:dance:

The last couple of months before I walked out of my job, I would stand by the desk at work and work the financial numbers . I wondered how many more days I had left at work, while I was waiting for my place to be sold.

But the thing I remember most is working my numbers and figuring how much of a nest egg I would have. I usually did this my last hour of work when things were slow.

The last couple of months before I walked out of my job, I would stand by the desk at work and work the financial numbers .

I've had a pension and retirement account estimate spreadsheet on my computer at work since 2011, and am still 18+ months from retirement day. :LOL:

Big Congrats! It will be here before you know it.

Back
Top Bottom