A first post ever, anywhere

Sandy

Full time employment: Posting here.
I am finally taking the plunge, making my first post on any forum. I have been lurking for about a year, and have enjoyed and benefited from everyone's wit and wisdom.

I will be 50 within the week and hope to ER in 5 years. I have always lived frugally and deferred a percentage of my salary, but had never given ER much consideration or hope. At the same time, while I never really enjoyed w*rking, it seemed inevitable that it would last forever, with a series of relatively low paying j*bs, despite two masters degrees.

My DH and I got together relatively late, he had little saved (also low to moderate salary, no debt but endless alimony). When our twins were born, I jokingly said that he would never be able to retire, since he will be 72 when the kids finish college! But, over the past 10 years, we increased our earnings (still low to many here, but big increase for us, recieved a moderate inheritance, and have increased our savings.

About 18 months ago I started to get edgy, couldn't stand the idea of w*rking another 15-20 years, especially since my DH is 10 years older. I started looking closely at our finances, made some adjustments, and found this website.

The kids are now 10 years old, and if all goes well, I hope to RE at 55 or maybe take on part time efforts. My DH will retire at 64 with a COLA'ed small pension which will take off a bit of the pressure. The people I've mentioned this to have said "no way", the kids won't even be in college yet. Yet, thanks to all of you, I know it can be done.

I wish everyone a wonderful new year.

Sandy

Hi, Sandy, and welcome to the boards!

There is a great bunch of people here, friendly and helpful -- though it sounds like you're well on your way already!

Sandy....that's a wonderful story. Congratulations and thanks for sharing and making us your first!. No doubt reading your story will inspire some that are in doubt.

hi, Sandy,

Welcome to the nuthouse. :D

You and I may have similar situations: late in working life, with kids in college, limited retirement assets.

One thing folks like us have to consider seriously (that many here will not have to face) is that we may not be able to maintain our current lifestyle after we ain't working anymore. It takes a while to get used to the idea. You seem to have already started thinking about it. Good.

Feel free to talk out your thoughts on the matter here. There is a lot of chaff here, but a fair amount of wheat, too.

Cheers!

Ed

Hey Sandy,

Welcome here. Everybody got to be somewhere.

Yet, thanks to all of you, I know it can be done.

Yea, but we were just kidding when we said all of that BS. No one really thought that some soul would actually take it for logical financial thinking.

Make sure you let us know if it works out for you. ;)

Sandy, you are similar to us in that you are considering ER while you still have kids not yet in college. This means planning for family health care coverage, unless you are getting it from one of your former employers. If not, go into the Health and ER section of this forum and read about private insurance. There are links to sites that talk about insurance in every state, and you may review your options. It is key that you plan for this because it may be your largest single expense in ER, at least until the kids can get less expensive insurance from college and your husband gets medicare. Then you would only need insurance for yourself.

Hello!
I took the plunge a couple of months ago. I had never posted anywhere. I spent many years perusing this site. Funny but it does take a certain amount of courage to post your thoughts to a bunch of strangers. I've never been in a chat room either. It probably sounds strange to some of the people here.
But..... welcome! :D

Thank you all for your welcome. I hope to become a valued contributor as well as a learner.

Ed,
Thanks for the heads up on insurance. I am well aware of the challenges. I am fortunate in that my employer (the state) pays 100% of family coverge. That is worth real $$. For my j*b, I do health policy and research, mostly in Medicaid a $16B program in Florida, but am well versed on issues of uninsurance, underinsurance, and access to private insurance. No, I have no answers and will struggle with everyone else, and I certainly want to know other's solutions since there is no one right way to handle this.

Mountaintosea:
Yes, I hope that putting all this out there will get easier, but it is still hard, especially talking about $$, this societies greatest taboo.

Martha,

I have a fraternal twins, a girl and boy. They are great!

Sandy

Back
Top Bottom