Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

A tropical storm is passing through Arizona today...,
Old 09-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

A tropical storm is passing through Arizona today...,

and that is so unusual, I thought I would say hello.

Joined this forum a few years back, posted a few messages and then drifted off elsewhere. My ER plan was to leave medi megacorp by Spring of 2011, but economic turndown of 08-09 convinced me otherwise.

I am adding another candle next week (61st) and focusing on retirement again in 2-8 months. 2 months if I announce soon and then asked to stay on until replacement. 8 months if I don't announce by November as I feel I could not leave the team in the lurch during our "busy" time in Q1.

Some particulars:
  • Mortgage paid off earlier this year
  • Both cars paid off
  • Health good, but some work to be done.
  • Mix of retirement funds is about 57/32/11 EQ/Fixed/Cash
    • About 15x base salary
    • 6% Roth
    • 60% IRA and 401K
    • 34% taxable
  • Current Annual Income about $135-145K the last several years
    • 95-105K base
    • 20-25K Annual Incentive
    • 15K company equity annually
    • These have been 3-4 great years at medi megacorp. Nothing like this previously here or previously at uber mega corp
  • Single, kids grown..., But...
    • 3/4 doing well
    • But one of my kids, the mother of my grandsons, is struggling and I have been supporting her to the tune of about $25-28K a year the last 3-4 years. I see this tapering off and she and I are working the issues.
    • I am looking at a budget of $5,500/m with them, 4K without them
  • I anticipate SSI of about the following
    • $1850/mo @ 62
    • $2155/mo @ 64
    • $2500/mo @ 66
  • I have a small, non-cola'd, pension from the previous mega corp.
    • $1100/mo @ 62
    • $1333/mo @ 64
    • $1600/mo @ 66
  • Retiree medical plan through current employer, but does not seem very appealing
  • I ran some scenarios through the FIRE Calculator
    • 60-70% of base pay for annual amount
      • I use base, because last few years of total pay seems an anomaly
    • 33 years (Higher than family history by 5-10 years)
    • With just current savings (no pension or SS) I was surprised to see success rates of 70 -78%. That seemed low
    • As soon as SS was plugged in at 62 or 64 goes right to 100% success.
Here is what I am thinking about and could use either advice or pointing towards links, articles, etc.
  • Healthcare - I'm confused. I have 18 months of Cobra to figure it out I guess. As mentioned, the retiree healthcare provided by current outfit seems weak.
  • Budgeting - I think I have a handle on my retirement budget, but would appreciate any suggestion of good tools to use.
  • Mind set change - I have spent about 25 years furiously accumulating retirement funds. I'm not sure what to do next in the swithch from accumulation to distribution.
  • Annuities -
  • Permission - Can I give myself permission to decompress for 6-12 months after I retire?
  • Gap - I'm not too concerned about the gap between 61.5 and medicare or the gap between 61.5 and SS...Should I be?
Thanks
ScoutAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi, and welcome to the ER Forum!

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a tropical storm - - the NHC shows no tropical storms, Atlantic or Pacific, impacting the US right now. Maybe it was a joke or analogy or something that I just didn't get? Checking online I do see that you are having some thunderstorms and flash flooding, and hope you stay safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoutAZ View Post
Permission - Can I give myself permission to decompress for 6-12 months after I retire?

Even better, why not give yourself permission to decompress for however long it takes? A wonderful aspect of retirement is that you will have oceans of time. I was surprised at how long it took me to decompress. Most of it happened in a couple of months, but it can be like peeling an onion - - for me there was layer after layer of stress to shed. It probably took at least 2-3 years before I was done. The same might be true for you too.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Even better, why not give yourself permission to decompress for however long it takes? A wonderful aspect of retirement is that you will have oceans of time. I was surprised at how long it took me to decompress. Most of it happened in a couple of months, but it can be like peeling an onion - - for me there was layer after layer of stress to shed. It probably took at least 2-3 years before I was done. The same might be true for you too.
I can't speak for anyone but me, but in my case a better word is "adjust". It's a big change and a little disconcerting, but it's what you worked towards. I am not one of those people who closed the office door and then climbed Mt. Everest, but I have relaxed.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
[...]I am not one of those people who closed the office door and then climbed Mt. Everest, but I have relaxed.
Why, shame on you! Just kidding. ScoutAZ, being able to relax if you want to is another great aspect of retirement. I go to the gym, but otherwise life is pretty relaxing these days for me. I even considered throwing away my alarm clock, and then decided to compromise by buying one that plays soft, sweet bird songs to slowly and gently awaken me in the mornings. I am a much nicer person now that I don't have to peel myself off the ceiling every morning.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Why, shame on you! Just kidding.
Ha! Well, if you play steel guitar it seems like it sometimes

And I forgot to say hello Scout!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote