Join Early Retirement Today

After almost 31 years at same place ready with letter at the end of the month....
Old 08-10-2018, 04:27 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

After almost 31 years at same place ready with letter at the end of the month....

I have been loyal to the same employer for almost 31 years, I worked a couple places 8 years before that, part time, college jobs etc. Planning for retirement since day one. Will be 56 my next BD. As the time to turn in my letter grows closer, I am having trouble with the reality that the time that I have planned for and thought about and counted down to for the last 10 years is just around the corner.
Wife Plans to work part time 2 more years, I have hobbies, interests and property to work on and maintain, yet I still wonder if I am ready. My only concern financially is health care insurance, which I am sure is shared by many. I can lock in a Monthly rate for the next two years that is doable, but I am concerned what we will do if the costs skyrocket in two years.

Guess it boils down to... go for it and worry less OR work till I am Medicare age or closer to it.
Any thoughts or advice from the crowd? Someone please encourage me to take the plunge!!!
. My Employer would like 3 months notice. Would like to be out before Christmas and paid out by the end of the year. Job is a good one and having one of the best parking spots does have advantages, but I am looking forward to leaving my Truck in the Garage at home as well.
WPauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2018, 04:33 PM   #2
gone traveling

We have paid for health insurance on the open market for the last 18 years.

Before Obamacare, rates went up. Sometimes by single digits and often by double digits.
Now, I am on Medicare and the trophy wife is on Obamacare. With Obamacare, rates have gone up. Sometimes by single digits and sometimes by double digits.

I would plan on 10%/year for the next 9 years.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:58 PM   #3

Have you run Firecalc?

That should give you the financial confidence in your budget and plan. Most of us that depend on the marketplace for insurance, with multiple pre-medicare years, have to have some anxiety about the stability of HI for a while, but there's only so much you can plan for.

I believe it will get worse and then get better. Not sure how much or how long either way. But there will be a point where it gets ridiculous, and then it will correct...and then it will swing again - who knows!

If you have confidence and wiggle room in your budget, and areas of discretion you should shave in a crazy year, that should give you the margin you need to at least go with reasonable expectations.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:11 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I am 58 and would have to close and sell my business property. An am in your boat about concern I would have enough to pay for health insurance since I am self employed. When it dought , keep working until you are sure.
Monterey298sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:04 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Figure out your yearly expenses and run it through various retirement calculators for results.
You can also get an idea of medical expenses potential by checking out healthsherpa.com
Old 08-10-2018, 07:52 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

If you can afford health insurance, you can buy younger, healthier years of retirement that will never be available again. Hard to put a price on it, but IMHO worth sacrificing for.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:27 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I myself have just signed paperwork for a 9/12 exit.Plan on cobra insurance for 18 months.After I will examine the ACA and also short term.If I read correctly, short term goes from 3 months to 12 months starting 10/18.This may be an option
mtheulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:15 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had the same fear. My decision was to wait until I was at a 3% withdrawal rate on my invested assets after budgeting 30k per year for 2 people for Healthcare (back in 2015). My budget for healthcare is now 37k. My budget includes hitting the out of pocket maximum for both of us in a single year. It was the only way I felt "safe" enough, and despite that I continue to be concerned.

On the plus side, the bull market has been kind to me, and I do not regret my decision to ER one bit.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
If you can afford health insurance, you can buy younger, healthier years of retirement that will never be available again. Hard to put a price on it, but IMHO worth sacrificing for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
I had the same fear. My decision was to wait until I was at a 3% withdrawal rate on my invested assets after budgeting 30k per year for 2 people for Healthcare (back in 2015). My budget for healthcare is now 37k. My budget includes hitting the out of pocket maximum for both of us in a single year. It was the only way I felt "safe" enough, and despite that I continue to be concerned.

On the plus side, the bull market has been kind to me, and I do not regret my decision to ER one bit.
+1

Also, since your DW plans to work 2 yrs more PT, she should be eligible for HI. After that, she can use her COBRA coverage for another 18 mos. That means you have 3.5 yrs of ‘guaranteed’ coverage in your future no matter what. That leaves you with ~5 yrs before Medicare to plan for.

In your situation, I’d follow L&L’s advice and save enough to cover 5 yrs of high HI cost, and have an annual WR of ~3%. Too many variables to plan beyond that. However, backup plans could be:

1. If TSHTF in the next 2 yrs, DW extends PT employment for HI benefits.
2. If TSHTF after DW is completely retired, get a PT job for HI benefits.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:40 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate your taking the time to comment. Bill
WPauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:28 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Have not yet retired and have the same concern for heath insurance cost. I've seen on here and Bogleheads non-ACA annual health insurance costs around 20-24ish for 2 persons. But Live and Learns budget of 37K! Surely no one pays this much?
Old 08-14-2018, 08:30 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Have not yet retired and have the same concern for heath insurance cost. I've seen on here and Bogleheads non-ACA annual health insurance costs around 20-24ish for 2 persons. But Live and Learns budget of 37K! Surely no one pays this much?
The unsubsidized cost of my silver health insurance for one is $22,200. That's before you use it. So for two?
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:15 AM   #13
Confused about dryer sheets

Good insight and a reminder to enjoy today.
TimevsMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
The plan I would choose has a monthly premium (for 2) of $1,859 and an OOP max (per person) of $7,350. Maximum costs is therefore $37,008.

Do I expect to actually pay that much ? For me, yes, I will hit the OOP max annually because I have macular degeneration and require injections costing $1,500 per shot; on average I get 7 shots a year. Do I expect DH to hit the OOP max annually ? I pray not, but it's possible. If we don't spend it on HC we can always use the unspent HC money for something fun in the following year. My motto is "better safe than sorry".
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:05 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I just retired and have 5 years before Medicare. We built the bullet and built in a large reserve ($150K) in our planning for health insurance premiums and deductibles until then. We lucked out somewhat since due to the terms of my retirement my premiums stay at the employee rate through 2019. After that it either non-subsided ACA (we will earn too much to qualify for subsidy) or Megacorp retiree rates, which currently are actually less than ACA with a lower deductible. Whichever is cheaper we will grit our teeth and deal with it for 3 years. Odds are that it will be less that we forecast. It is a lot but since we are both currently generally healthy, retiring to take advantage of that health while it lasts is worth the cost.