Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-16-2019, 04:06 PM   #41
gone traveling

Looks like not every test you can pay for will test for all the alleles (E2, E3, E4). here's one that does:
https://www.lifeextension.com/Vitami...d-Cardiac-Risk
Bongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2019, 10:56 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Interesting the link between cholesterol and triglyceride levels and Alzheimer's.

While it may not be a cause (or may be) it seems a good diet and exercise to reduce
cholesterol and triglyceride levels could have the benefit of delaying or preventing Alzheimer's.

Since bad levels of cholesterol and triglyceride levels are associated with Alzheimer's.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:20 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
I feel compelled to point out that you need TWO copies of APOE-4 (one from each parent) to face the risk level you indicate.

Do you actually have both?

That's rare enough that I've seen clinicians complain they often can't find enough people (with both copies) on whom to conduct clinical studies.

Also, IIRC, having two copies puts you at significantly increased risk of suffering a whole host of nasty diseases, not just dementia.

-ncbill

(lived in the local medical school's library 10+ years ago when my mother was dying from a non-alzheimer's form of dementia that strikes mid 40s-mid 50s)
I would like to know of these studies as I have two copies of the gene as indicated by 23 and me.
Apparently it is not so uncommon as 2% of the population has the doulble copy.

Many people in my family have/have had and died from Alzheimers. They all get it in their 60's or 70's.
I am 45.
It is hugely frustrating knowing I will get it no matter what.
I don't believe diet helps for those of us with the double genes - too many people still get Alzheimers despite various healthy diets.
I looked and saw no studies I could be in at this point in time.

None of my older relatives are willing and/or able to participate in research.
workburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:18 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workburnout View Post
I am 45.
It is hugely frustrating knowing I will get it no matter what.
I don't believe diet helps for those of us with the double genes - too many people still get Alzheimers despite various healthy diets.
There is some hope for people with 2 copies of the Apoe2 gene based on the Nigeria Paradox. In my opinion, you should consider talking to your doctor and consider changing your diet.

Please view the Nigerian Paradox on Youtube at

If the above link does not work, search on Youtube for "Nigerian Paradox"

Attitude also plays a role. If you already decided that you will get Alzheimer's "no matter what", then you already lost half the battle.

If you talk to medical nurses, they will tell you that patients who fight their disease generally have a better outcome. Patients who have a fatalistic view do not. It is true that some people will get the disease no matter what... but I feel better "going down fighting" than "surrendering without a fight".

The stats indicated that 1 out of 2 people with 2 copies of the Apoe4 will get Alzheimer's at age 85. My attitude is I can be the "other" 1 of the 2 people who will NOT get the disease by working with my doctor and listening to what the medical researchers suggest what I should do and eat. These medical suggestions are based on the data they have acquired. I called my approach "critical thinking" of a difficult problem.
2177V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:06 PM   #45
Gone but not forgotten

We all will have some disease to deal with and good for you for doing all you can to prevent a disease .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
I am enjoying this book
Old 01-22-2019, 04:08 PM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am enjoying this book

I am enjoying this book:

"The End of. Alzheimers" by Dale Bredesen, MD 2017. He is a professor at UCLA. Most libraries have this book.

Below is the Amazon link to read a little about the book and read some of the reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/End-Alzheimer...+alzheimer%27s
Janet from FIRE Planet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:20 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchan2177 View Post
There is some hope for people with 2 copies of the Apoe2 gene based on the Nigeria Paradox. In my opinion, you should consider talking to your doctor and consider changing your diet.
Those with two copies of the ApoE2 gene have a LOWER than average risk of Alzheimer's Disease. It's the ApoE4 gene that confers higher risk.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:25 PM   #48
Gone but not forgotten

I'm coming back to make a suggestion.

i think I can speak with some authority, as I'm in stage four of Alzheimers, self diagnosed, but with some degree of surety. I would suggest that it is not quite what you think. There's a medical explanation that deals with plaque, genes, and the physical connections to the brain... the axons and dendrites, and the electrical impulses that come together to make a functioning human. The accepted implication is that Alzheimers/Dementia is a simple result of something going wrong.

And yes... that's right... but... it doesn't really work the way most people think.

You may be thinking... If he's that bad, how can he write here on ER, and even sometimes make sense?

So... instead of boring you with theory, my suggestion.

If you have Netflix, watch "Still Alice". For me, it's a reality film that shows Alzheimers' disease the way its is happening in real life. Like Alice, my own intellect was measured above average @145, and like her, the intellect has, sofar, allowed for shortcuts around failing memory.

Early onset? no... but the process/progress is the same. Likely genetic in my case, as my mom began in her early 80's. The movie explains gene tracing... family... parent to child... something that does not receive a lot of attention, but certainly, the good health suggestions mentioned in the OP and some subsequent posts cannot hurt. Further extensive medical studies studies may refine physical health and medication theories
Old 01-22-2019, 05:31 PM   #49

Not even medical professionals can diagnose Alzheimer's disease with certainty without doing an autopsy on the brain, but what a doctor should do if a patient is presenting with symptoms of dementia is run some screening tests that test for OTHER causes of dementia, particularly those that are treatable or even reversible. So if you think you have it or you're tempted to self-diagnose, please see a doctor! Some GPs might be able to do some of the screening, but most likely they will refer you to a neurologist, geriatric psychiatrist, or neuropsychiatrist for a full evaluation.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:32 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

My Mom has had early onset Alz for 5 years or so, we became acutely aware of it after her husband was killed in a vehicle accident, he had been her caregiver and had kept their little secret. Even in the clutches of the illness she is the most grateful person I know. She thanks God for every little thing - a beautiful day, a visit from family or friends, a letter, read to her.
We feel blessed that Mom had assets to live in a very nice Assisted Living facility with family close by. With some awareness, that if you are blessed with a long life, you may succumb to this illness, it will be beneficial to have your affairs in order way in advance. Share your plans with the kids, or Executors so they can ask any questions now. Plan your asset spend down and living arrangements to give you the most flexibility in later years. Start spoiling the person you hope to be your caregiver . I have often wondered if knowing something about my DNA would be a burden or a benefit.
Don't be so careful that you stop living!!!
Newventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:00 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

IM, if you have Alzheimer’s I bet you aren’t at stage 4. I had a brilliant friend with a170 IQ that got it young in her mid 50’s. The doctors think she got it from having so much chemo over 8 years because her stage 4 ovarian cancer kept coming back. Also some medications and diseases mimic dementia so I would see a neurologist. I spent a lot of time with my friend and the decline was horrible. Wishing you the best.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:01 PM   #52

Vchan, everything you are doing is sensible and can enhance your quality of life. Do you participate at ApoE4.info ? They have a lot of good information but some of the recommendations are questionable. The moderators are very knowledgeable.
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:14 PM   #53

I think that is all great what you are doing and you should continue to do so. Quality of life is so important no matter what.

HOWEVER- not to discourage you- but look at Ronald Reagan, for example. He was active. He was an actor and he was a Governor and a President of our country- His brain was certainly stimulated, but he still got Alzheimers.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:15 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
IM, if you have Alzheimer’s I bet you aren’t at stage 4. I had a brilliant friend with a170 IQ that got it young in her mid 50’s. The doctors think she got it from having so much chemo over 8 years because her stage 4 ovarian cancer kept coming back. Also some medications and diseases mimic dementia so I would see a neurologist. I spent a lot of time with my friend and the decline was horrible. Wishing you the best.

Chemo for sure will at the least cause dementia in some cases. That happened to my mom.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:45 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

+1 I worry about my occasional memory gaps and have considered testing.
Octogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Love may be the answer
Old 01-22-2019, 07:07 PM   #56

Love may be the answer

HOWEVER- not to discourage you- but look at Ronald Reagan, for example. He was active. He was an actor and he was a Governor and a President of our country- His brain was certainly stimulated, but he still got Alzheimers.[/QUOTE]

I have my own theory on Ronald Reagan. It is true that he was stimulated as a governor and president. But later he retired. What happened between his retirement from public life and the onset of Alzheimer is probably known only to his family.

Once you retire after a full and active life, you then slow down suddenly and you become relatively inactive, I believe this is a very dangerous phase where you can lose your purpose in life. Once you lose your purpose in life and you become isolated, bad things tend to happen. I believe people who are about to retire should establish new goals, establish new purposes and meet new challenges just like a younger person.

For example...At age 67, I now buy more flowers and write more love letters to my wife. I listen to my children and visit them whenever they have the time. I fix and maintain their cars because I like doing this when I was young. Valentine Day is coming so I just wrote the following love letter to my wife: (Yes I stolen the lines from a love song but my wife doesn't care)

Look at my face.
I know the years are showing.
Look at my life.
I still don't know where my life is going.
I don't know much.
But I know I love you.
That is all I need to know.

My point. Love is the most powerful human emotion. Love will help me keep my brain young. Have you heard the phase "she makes me feel 10 years younger"? That is my plan to avoid Alzheimers. If it does not work, at least I will have a happy life. (Happy wife, happy life).
2177V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:52 PM   #57
Dryer sheet wannabe

You have a great life going vchan. Enjoy!

My Dad ended up with Pakinsons and Dimentia, but ultimately it was a heart attack that got him. It was a struggle to stay functional, but his efforts helped a lot no doubt. He still managed to have fun to the end. We went tubing down the river. He wasn't able to say a lot, and needed us to steady him but he had a great time, and all the kids thought he was the coolest guy on the river, and he really was. He also hiked the full length of Carchner caverns in New Mexico. My brother kept him steady. There are two trails in the cave, he insisted on taking the full length trail, and loved every second of it.

i knew it was bad, but when i finally saw the scan, i was shocked by how much damage had occurred, and he was aware of it, but still, he remained all about his family and friends, and making the best of it... As he would say "I woke up on the right side of the grass " and he wanted to get out and enjoy it. I hope those 1 of 2 odds play out in your favor, but even if not I suspect you will make the best of it as long as you can. Raising a glass in your direction.
Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Avoiding Alzheimers
Old 01-23-2019, 12:54 AM   #58
Confused about dryer sheets

Avoiding Alzheimers

Here's what I do to avoid Alzheimers, control type 2 diabetes, and for general health. I follow a ketogenic diet, take a dose of resveratrol and a teaspoon of curcumin daily, plus weight lifting and general exercise. I'm 77 now and doing very well. Strong and vigorous and my mind is still sharp. I also fast for a day or two occasionally, which seems to improve my sharpness and well being.
Fynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:13 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

I was also tested last month by 23andme.
I was too afraid to look at the results at first.
My Father died from Alzheimers at 75, Mother at 82.
I have yet to look at specific Alzheimers result, I had that one masked.
I am 64.5 and afraid.
RHONDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:47 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octogirl View Post
+1 I worry about my occasional memory gaps and have considered testing.
There is a risk, which you may have already considered, that once you test, it is on your medical record. Now you have a documented pre-existing condition which could affect insurance.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote