"Agonizing" over ER until it's no longer E. . .

jsutro

Confused about dryer sheets
Located ER forum while browsing your excellent Airstream Forum. If it's half as useful, it will be time well spent. All of your collective wisdom and experience is what makes these forums so helpful.

My wife feels that both belt and suspenders, plus 5 rental units, are not enuf to assure retirement funds because all property is not free and clear.

I'm looking at cash flow, which is consistently positive in spite of healthy additions to 401 K, property equity, etc., which seem to indicate that our years of work, saving, and investment, will enable us to coast through the promised land of retirement. Toys such as sailboat and travel trailer are paid for, and defined benefit retirement income will cover fixed expenses, and increase at COLA and inflation rate.

Years ago I heard about returning ALL early SS payments, (keeping the interest) and resetting to standard SS payout at age 65 or 66. I'll repost this in the appropriate thread, but indicative of my curiosity about retirement schemes and perhaps SCAMS.

Jim, age 61 1/2, $2M real estate, 1/2 equity; pension should produce reliable 75% of current income - or $75K based upon about $100K/year, which includes health insurance at no additional expense! And a random selection of investments in oil & gas, stocks, options, education, and for the time being at least - good health and attitude!

How have you resolved differences in comfort level such as my wife's and mine?

Looking forward to entering data into your various calculators to estimate returns and risk. Which do you find to be most useful? And what are your most reliable sources of information? What's most scary about the big leap, and how have you dealt with it positively? What else should I be asking myself, and you all?

And many thanks to the Mods and software developers that make the internet such a useful tool.

How many of you will be at Burning Man 2008? Want to hook up?

Jim; Half Moon Bay, CA

Welcome aboard Jim!

Sell 2 or 3 of the rentals and pay off the others. Maybe she will be happy then and you will have less rental indigestion moments?

You should be Golden and she needs to learn retirement math. Unless the pension has no survivor option?

Most valuable calc hands down is Firecalc. Info comes from all sources and then I perk it for myself.

Welcome! It sounds like you've got a lot to think about...resolving those comfort level differences matter a lot more than the dollars do.

So what Airstream you got? We've got a number of RVers on here--a few fulltimers even. I've got an old Argosy coach which I adore, but sadly, will not likely ever take to Burning Man as I fear breakdowns so far from home.

Which one of you works, or is it both?

If your current numbers aren't enough for her, have you asked her to give you a defined number or goal? If her response is just "more" and "not now" it's not a math thing at that point.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to the board, Jim.

My wife feels that both belt and suspenders, plus 5 rental units, are not enuf to assure retirement funds because all property is not free and clear.
How have you resolved differences in comfort level such as my wife's and mine?
Speaking from personal experience, I'm pretty sure that "ER landlord" is oxymoronic.

You could eliminate a lot of hassle by starting to sell out over the next few years. Or let her take over the landlording...

Hmmm, Tell her, ever so politely, that you understand her apprehension and are fine with HER continuing to work until she feels more comfortable! :p

Bet she will come around real quick when she sees all the fun your having in retirement. :)

I am 59 and have been retired for a wonderful 3 years. My 49 year old brother, whose net worth is many times my own, still pursues the almighty dollar. Yesterday my 49 year old brother was diagnosed with colon cancer. When will people realize that the dollar is not everything. Take the time to smell the roses and relax while you can!

Welcome to the board, Jim. You might model a few possible scenarios in FIRECalc since it can give you an estimate of the chances of "failure." Perhaps your DW will feel more secure once she has seen that at a given income, age, savings, etc. the chances of success are 99% over the past 100 years.

Back
Top Bottom