Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Another Young Dreamer
Old 06-23-2003, 08:03 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Well, my kids were expensive but worth it.

Agreed, John. I feel the same way. Our youngest just graduated last week and presented me with his final tuition bill. Glad to have this part of my financial life behind me. Not sure what I will be doing with the extra $15k per year that has been gobbled down by the local university for the past 5 years but I'm sure that I will think of something.
Ed_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2003, 06:28 AM   #22
Confused about dryer sheets

$15K per year? WOW - you got out of it CHEAP. Decent private schools are now easily twice that!

Likewise, I'm glad to have that part of my life behind me.

Oh, and for those of you with young kids, I heard recently that public schools will be around $100K and private ones will be around $200K by 2020.
nafddur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 07:54 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Oh, and for those of you with young kids, I heard recently that public schools will be around $100K and private ones will be around $200K by 2020.
The good news is that people with young kids have a wider range of tax-advantaged accounts in which to build up assets to pay for college. The bad news is that, as more and more ways are created to help people finance college, the prices that colleges are able to charge (especially "selective" colleges that hire "renowned" faculty members) keep rising faster than overall inflation. Corporate officers aren't the only people in the U.S. who are arguably over-paid.

To the extent that the cost of "selective" colleges is justified (relative to much less expensive ones), the major difference tends to be in the intellectual level of the students themselves. Presumably, this provides a higher level of intellectual interaction in college, and better contacts thereafter. The level of knowledge among different faculties doesn't really vary all that much, and the most "brilliant" faculty members often can't relate to students and therefore can't teach worth a damn.
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Young'uns!
Old 07-14-2003, 12:32 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Young'uns!

Great! Now I'm not the only whipper-snapper around. I'm also 33, and I'm glad to see Bongo2 and Panhead here. I'm single, but I'd like to get married and have a family; I'm not quite sure how to work that into my ER plans.

I've been in lurk mode for a while, but the past few days I thought about asking Dory36 to make a Forum for those of us who want to retire early but are still a decade or more away from it. I haven't thought of a catchy name for it yet, but I was about to drop the idea because until today I hadn't noticed others in my position hanging around the site. (Also some members seem alergic to the "W"and "J" words.)

If you're like me, you're not quite ready to plan CD Ladders, SEPP's but are trying to build the foudnation to get there more easily. In my case that's paying off debt, lowering spending, increasing savings and managing the career.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 07:39 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

YUP! This is a good thing we've got here, we've got younger RE wannabe's, young RE's and older RE's and older RE wannabe's ! Quite the wealth of knowledge here, for sure, and I think most of us have been bouncing around boards since the TMF days at least. Many of us are too cheap to pay the TMF fee, that's for sure !

I am definitely in the mode of building the foundation for RE/FI. I've never been a big spender, most of my hobbies are either cheap, or make me money. I am a big DYI'er, so I did buy my own house, extremely cheap foreclosure house. Due to sweat equity, it's about doubled in value now. Not for everyone, but living in the NE, rents have been skyrocketing along with house prices. I pay about 1/2 what rent would cost me, plus I really need a garage for my hobbies. Of course, other costs have gone up, but I ain't gonna get in the rent vs buy debate, to each his own !

I have no debt except for about 60K of mortgage debt. Life is pretty easy and the nest egg has been growing lately. Of course, if I was married or had a live in girlfriend, much of what I have done would not have been possible. The house I bought was pretty bad at first, and I ripped out the one bathroom and the kitchen right away ! Don't ask how I lived there, it wasn't easy !

I've learned tons by the people here and from the other boards, and plan to keep on learning and give back when I can. I am especially interested in Dory's way of life, and would very much like to hear more about the lifestyle, costs involved, etc.

Good luck to all,

Panhead

When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 07:41 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

YUP! This is a good thing we've got here, we've got younger RE wannabe's, young RE's and older RE's and older RE wannabe's ! Quite the wealth of knowledge here, for sure, and I think most of us have been bouncing around boards since the TMF days at least. Many of us are too cheap to pay the TMF fee, that's for sure !

I am definitely in the mode of building the foundation for RE/FI. I've never been a big spender, most of my hobbies are either cheap, or make me money. I am a big DYI'er, so I did buy my own house, extremely cheap foreclosure house. Due to sweat equity, it's about doubled in value now. Not for everyone, but living in the NE, rents have been skyrocketing along with house prices. I pay about 1/2 what rent would cost me, plus I really need a garage for my hobbies. Of course, other costs have gone up, but I ain't gonna get in the rent vs buy debate, to each his own !

I have no debt except for about 60K of mortgage debt. Life is pretty easy and the nest egg has been growing lately. Of course, if I was married or had a live in girlfriend, much of what I have done would not have been possible. The house I bought was pretty bad at first, and I ripped out the one bathroom and the kitchen right away ! Don't ask how I lived there, it wasn't easy !

I've learned tons by the people here and from the other boards, and plan to keep on learning and give back when I can. I am especially interested in Dory's way of life, and would very much like to hear more about the lifestyle, costs involved, etc.

Good luck to all,

Panhead

When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Old 07-15-2003, 10:11 AM   #27

I too am envious of Dory's lifestyle. Alas, with 4 dogs
it would be a problem for us. I am reminded of what Ted Turner said about his having too many children. "Once they are here
you can't shoot 'em."
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 10:45 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

"you can't shoot em'" Ha Ha !!! That cracked me up ! I needed that as it's been one of those days for a (still) working stiff. Company had a massive layoff today. I didn't really care either way, but I didn't get hit. It sure stinks for morale though, everybody is depressed. Maybe if I did get hit I would sell the house and the rest of my assets and go buy a boat ! I think I'd go for a sailboat though ! Hope you're seeing this Dory, we all want more details on how you do it, how you got started, how long you've been boating, expenses, blah blah blah !

Panhead
Old 07-15-2003, 12:15 PM   #29

Quote:
I think I'd go for a sailboat though !
I thought the same thing, but Dory said that the intercoastal waterway has too many turns and isn't well suited for sailing.

A lot of info about his adventures is in the Retirement Afloat thread in the "Lifestyles in Retirement" forum.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:56 AM   #30
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Hi everyone,

I've been offline a lot lately, and am in the process of rebuilding my computer after wiping it out a few weeks back when a windows update crashed mid-install. Today I am supposed to finally get access to a high speed line so I can get the 100+MB in updates I will need to restore everything to the way it was a few weeks ago. In the meantime, I'm working in "internet-challenged" mode!

BigMoneyJim included the link to a bunch of info on the boating lifestyle. I'll let that address the costs etc unless elaboration is needed.

Af for a new section -- sure. It's easy to do. "Young Dreamers" maybe?

Dory36

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 07:17 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey dory !

Great to see ya ! Yup, more or less what I meant was that I follow the retirement afloat and the travels with dory threads, and really enjoy them. I was Extremely surprised at the $1000/month cost of this lifestyle. i figured it would be closer to twice that. I don't know enough about the boating lifestyle to ask specific questions (other than how am i going to get my Harley on and off the boat !) but I find it very interesting to read about it from someone actually doing it. Like I said before, I'm more interested in a sailboat, with all of it's complications and limitations, and I've got a lot to learn about em', but this sounds like an extremely enjoyable lifestyle that may get me out of being a working stiff years earlier !

John
(who, of course, is practicing the 3 for 1 rule, thanks Intercst !)
Old 07-16-2003, 11:13 AM   #32

Quote:
Af for a new section -- sure. It's easy to do. "Young Dreamers" maybe?
D'OH! That's perfect, and I was staring at it while reading the thread and composing that message.

Young Dreamers
For those who are many years away from but building the foundation for early retirement. Warning: May contain "W" and "J" words!

Something like that?
Old 07-16-2003, 08:15 PM   #33
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

New section added!

Dory36

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 07:46 PM   #34
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hey Bongo, I hear ya! Sounds like u took a page right out of my lifestory. Read my post under Introduce yourself- title RE plans derailed. Only I am the stay at home parent. I don't always like it but it makes the most sense financially right now with the expense of daycare.
Liltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 11:50 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
$15K per year? WOW - you got out of it CHEAP. Decent private schools are now easily twice that!

Maybe so but consider that this was for my son alone. A similar amount was spent getting his older sister through college. Both went to state schools. If they wanted to pay for it, they could have gone anywhere they wanted. Neither of them took me up on that offer.

I know any number of people who really got off cheap. They refused to pay for college for any of their kids. In some cases, they had not planned, others were just too cheap, and a few just didn't have the money regardless of their desire to help their kids. All of their kids who REALLY wanted to go to college found ways to do so, however.

Ed_B

Old 09-27-2003, 12:45 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My sister drove the local politico's nuts and got all three of her kids thru the Naval Academy. The only time I ever felt sorry for politicians.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 09:02 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My sister drove the local politico's nuts and got all three of her kids thru the Naval Academy. The only time I ever felt sorry for politicians.

Well, good for her and good ON them!
Retirement is selfish
Old 12-15-2007, 07:10 PM   #38

Retirement is selfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo2 View Post
Hi all! I've piped up a few times before, and I thought I'd introduce myself. I think I'm quite a bit younger than most of you (33) and still working with three young children (all under 5). I have a typical desk job, and my wife stays at home. I dream of FI/RE, but, like the typical family, saving money was a lot easier when it was Double Income No Kids, rather than Single Income Three Kids. With the wife and kids sending our expenses up rapidly, the dream seems farther and farther away each year. This year was particularly bad, with a move to a higher-priced neighborhood, and an almost endless stream of large expenses that went with it. In the next two years I hope to get back to saving significantly (something that I used to do easily, but haven’t been able to manage for the last two years).
Bongo2 on6-16-03
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:01 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Good to have you back, Jarhead!

The fall golfing weather must've been unusually warm this year?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote